new

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

new

Postby james5121 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 am

HI ALL
First off this is a great site,If there is anything i can do to help out I'M there.
I am James live in Phx. Az. at the moment.Plans are to retire to Thailand around 2013. At that point will want to build something Maybe by that time all i will want to do is help or maybe just watch. LOL But there has always been a draw in my soul to build my own place.I have remodel all the places i bought in the states.Probably as many of you know it is all ways easier to build new than try and make something old look new :)I don't know if it is allowed but if i can help anyone out email me. Thanks for allowing me to be amongst you all. :)
james5121

Re: new

Postby otis-a » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:58 pm

welcome
have u land all redi or is that under consideration also?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby james5121 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 am

No Otis i haven't even looked into that.I understand that the land would have to be in my wife's or girlfriends name.
Do you have any suggestions about land purchases? Thanks for the reply JRV.
james5121

Postby otis-a » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:36 am

i think land purchase from pheonix is not possible. Were i doing it again, would make a physical survey for min o 2weeks. The objective: avoid temples, mosques, and the incesent loudspeakers which blare out @ 120dB from dusk or after to dawn or before... Nothing against either religion in general- so long as it is kept a personal matter. My experience of living abroad has left me with the impression that religion outside usa & ole western europe is a much more -'' in your face'' experience.

Second is avoid flood plains- monsoon season is a part of thai life you need not get caught up in.

Third- prepare ur wallet- life here is more dear than u r lead to believe- unless ur existence plans call for a poverty level life style- cost o living for ''normal'' american lifestyle is no so much less than rural usa. To make matters more dear is talk of 30% expat tax. Oh did i mention the visa? Umm read carefully some pages from thai visa forum

4th get intensive lessons in defensive & evasive driving- apart from not driving on right side of road- it more like all over the road- well if is ur misfortune to be snagged in a MVA- u r an odds on fav 2 be z looser as u r z farang-

well all said is an exotic place to visit, but in past 6 months here- w/o excessive purchases- zero mva- perhaps 4 weekends away from z house- very limited capX big ticket item purchases - my thai bank account says -550k tb, 150k of that i write off to wifey for inet cafe, some gold + odd house items. So the pocket balance on my thai bank acct says 400k/6mo =70k/mo or abt 2k usd/mo living x. Do kno usa costs so well but i can recall a time when it a house budget of such was considered mid class n usa-

2cent worth
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby james5121 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the perspective Otis.I hope to be there and spend as much time as necessary before buying anything.
thanks again. JRV
james5121

Postby elgato » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Welcome aboard! I agree with Otis - avoid the temple/mosque areas and the village "public address" speakers! :lol:
Seriously, take a long time shopping for your land and certainly make sure the papers (chanote) are in good order. Check with the local land office before parting with your cash.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Return to Introduce Yourself