Hello everyone

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello everyone

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 am

Hello there to all.

Stumbled onto this site while i was searching for information on construction costing in Korat.

Would be glad to be friends with all of you in this forum.

BUT...i think its better clarify right off that im not planning for a home / villa like what everyone in here is doing. im still a relatively young guy (early 30's, thai wife + 2yr old girl) with a sob story behind me back at home country and thus looking to stay in thailand for good.

Off hand now, Im looking at a piece of land 5rai in size thats along route 2335. looking to build a 2 storey building that can act as home and office with a weighing station in front for trading in commodities. as such, will be glad to have any form of advice / suggestions from all.

by the way, anyone here met gadgetman before? was in pak thong chai the other day and drove past a shop "PJ SAUNA" thats before I stumbled upon this forum. tried to gave him a call on the mobile number he posted in his thread but its unregistered.

<Removed email-address - this site is non-commercial - moderator> is the way to contact me for now. Flying back to my home country soon to try raise funds required for starting a new life here. Good day to all and hope none are badly affected by the floods
Tommy

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi Tommy, You don't say where you are from,because depending on how easy it is to make a few dollars back home through investments/ renting out property etc; it is sometimes better to live off of that in Thailand where your dollar goes further. Competing with the Thais in business is so hard and low returns with wages lucky to be $5 per day,so unless you have a lot of money to invest to join the top section of Thai society to exploit those low wages or you have something that all the Falangs are buying, it's easier to live off of off- shore earnings. Good luck with the 2 storey place though, unless you have done some previous building I would let your wife find a trustworthy builder first, then check with the forum step by step on things to watch for.Thais like to do things the easy way, and that is not always the best for a good result.
Mike Judd

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I'm from Singapore actually. I didn't wanna say too much about what I'm working as now as I don't want my posts to end up as bad sob story. As it is, I think its sufficient to say that I had spent most of my working life inside my parent's company and due to the usual politicking and blah, I had ended up practically with nothing left.

Thus, I'm actually in a situation whereby back in home country, I have nothing to my name and air in the bank. Thankfully my wife stuck with me and through her contacts and family, have this trading opportunity in which we can start our life on.

The business that I'm (we) are looking on is not a market easily entered by foreigners and money is good once a certain scale is reached. I'm doing my homework now on whats the minimal amount required to reached the required scale of operations for "economis of scale" to kick and and money to start coming in good.

Once again, thanks for your replies and comments. Appreciate all comments and advices given. I had given my email in my 1st post IF you are interested / curious to ask more.

Till then, have a great day to all :D

Tommy

Edit: PS: my father in law is pretty good in construction and building. evidenced by their home which we stay in when in Loei. everything sturdy and sound. :D he had agreed to be our "Site supervisor" too if we can get everything going ^^
Tommy

Postby elgato » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am

Welcome aboard Tommy. Looking forward to your postings.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Tommy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you Elgato :D

still trying to do out the floor plans and all plus sourcing for the exact location of land. :)
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Alive in this forum again as I finally managed to scrap together what I can and start a totally new life here. :)
Tommy

Postby andy bryant » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:43 pm

good luck matey
i was in a similar situation and just wanted out,here we are
:D
andy bryant

Postby rolyth » Sat May 18, 2013 7:35 am

Tommy wrote:Alive in this forum again as I finally managed to scrap together what I can and start a totally new life here. :)

Hello Tommy,

i am my 30s and from sg too..
planning to marry a thai and settle in thailand..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice to meet you.
:)
rolyth

Postby fredlk » Sat May 18, 2013 8:00 am

rolyth wrote:planning to marry a thai and settle in thailand.

Do you have any particular Thai in mind? :lol:
fredlk

Postby rolyth » Sat May 18, 2013 8:47 am

fredlk wrote:
rolyth wrote:planning to marry a thai and settle in thailand.

Do you have any particular Thai in mind? :lol:

not yet..i do visit some thai dating sites to know some thai girls first.. they are beautiful & friendly. :)

fredlk, is that your house in Chonburi? very beautiful!!!
How's the weather?
rolyth

Postby fredlk » Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 am

rolyth wrote:i do visit some thai dating sites to know some thai girls first.. they are beautiful & friendly. :)

Beware who you meet online. Face to face is always best.
rolyth wrote:fredlk, is that your house in Chonburi?

It is.
rolyth wrote:How's the weather?

Hot and humid, getting ready for rain.
fredlk

Postby rolyth » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the warning.

i am totally new in thailand and not a builder. Got alot of work to be done & research...long long journey ahead.. :mrgreen:
rolyth

Postby pipoz » Sat May 18, 2013 11:57 am

Hello Tommy,
i am my 30s and from sg too..planning to marry a thai and settle in thailand..
:)[/quote]

Dont marry them, just enjoy them
pipoz

Postby rolyth » Sat May 18, 2013 7:18 pm

pipoz wrote:
Dont marry them, just enjoy them

not the way i want.. :D
rolyth

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 18, 2013 8:16 pm

The only advice I would give anyone as far as relationships are concerned, is you will never know in the beginning how it is going to turn out in the end , how ever long it lasts. So just go with the flow, be as generous as you can afford or want to be, but always have the situation under control so that if it ever turns Pear shaped, it's not a disaster financially for you, and you can move on. Relationships always cost the man usually, that's life and has to be excepted. It's called I think, "The Power of the Pussy".!
Mike Judd

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself