New Build in CM

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New Build in CM

Postby REED » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Hello to all,
I am American and have lived in Thailand about 7 years. I still work abroad in the oil and gas sector which means that I normally work on a rotation (4 weeks on & 4 weeks off). My wife and I recently purchased some property in CM and intend to start building in a matter of months. We have our own idea of the house design we want to build and a house plan that we generated using a computer program. We have recently contacted a couple of builders and architects for quotes on the formal plans and building. I must say so far we are not very impressed. Actually, it is a struggle just to get anyone to call you back. We have contacted some of the "Expat" companies as well as Thai.
We are leaning more towards doing it ourselves much the way Max and Bee have done. I have been following all of the stories here and I am amazed at all of the great info everyone has offered. Just the lessons learned by everyone else is worth it's wait in gold.
Anyway, I would really like to contact a few of the members who's stories we have been following. I am just not sure how to go about that. I would love to visit their projects and ask them if they are willing to provide any contact info for some of the people and services they have used in the Chang Mai area.
If anyone can point me in that direction ( how to contact members privatly) please let us know.
By the way my name is Bobby and my boss's name is Petch.

I hope to get some feed back from any of the members.
I will also try to figure out how to upload a copy of our intended house plans.
REED

Re: New Build in CM

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello Reed and welcome aboard and look forward to your story. Unfortunately new members do not have access to originate PM's (due to past abuses), but can receive them. You could just request that certain members contact you on the open forum (your thread) and they would be able to PM their contact details to you. Alternatively you can send me a feedback form and I will initiate the contact for you.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby erikr69 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Look forward to your story, like you I am very much in the preparation phase and learn every day by reading. Visiting some projects is a great support, I have visited the site from kknaj<edited out first-name, please use poster's registered name - moderator> in Khon Kaen and learned a lot from seeing the pitfalls and successes in his build.

Hope you will be able to visit some and share the feedback of what you have seen
erikr69

Postby REED » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Well, here goes. I had intended to start our build in Changmai much sooner, but unfortunatly work comes first and I was transfered to Brazil. My contract states that I work 28 on/ 28 off, but I can;t remember the last time I did that. Left Thailand on June 9 and just got home on Dec. 7th.
I tried to get as much accomplished as posible before my return so that we could actually get started building right away, but it's not as easy as I had hoped from 13,000 miles away. I must give credit to my wife as she has tackeled every job I threw at her while I was away. Still some things just can't be explained, translated or understood by phone and email.
Anyway, I am here now and we have not stopped since I arrived.
We have the temporary electric meter and the electric company installed the pole just inside our land and installed all of the hardware that will be needed for the 3 phase once we complete the build and get the perminent meter. We are about 300 meters from 3 phase supply and they gave us a price of 47,000 baht to run it to our property.
We have drilled the water well. 800 baht per meter, 75 meters deep. 5000 liter per hour. Franklin pump I paid for. Satisfied with the work although it took them a few more days to complete than they stated.
We have a contractor currently building a 1 meter high retaining wall around 3 sides of the 1.5 rai of land. 2,000 baht per running meter, they furnish everything. We will be filling in about 1 meter of soil. We have decided to go with the prestressed planks rather than back filling the iside of the foundations. I am still going to backfill, but I did not want to worry about the dirt settling under the slab.
We are meeting with the architect and builder tonight to view what will hopefully be the last and final drawings.
I will post some photos and design drawings after we have them. That will probably also take some help from the wife. Computers and me do not get along very well.

Bobby
REED

Postby MGV12 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Good job so far Bobby - look forward to the details of your build as it progresses.

Whereabouts in CM are you building?

Good luck.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby REED » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks MGV12.
We are just about 2km from MaeJo University. The area is called Nong Jom.
We just got back from the meeting and it all looks good. Just a couple of very small changes to the drawings and it looks like we will be set.
I am not going to be able to be here for most of the build as I still have another 14 months to work before I call it quits for good, but I am going to try to be home every other month during the build. And yes, I fully expect this to turn into a train wreck before it's all done.
Oh well, if we keep putting it off, it will never happen.

Bobby
REED

Postby elgato » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 am

Welcome aboard and post some pics.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Moddam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi
not far from us.
we are at the back of Mae Jo uni a couple of km in village called Papai.
Waiting for our builder to finish the build he's on at the moment before he begins our build.
Moddam

Return to Introduce Yourself