Hello

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello

Postby orionsbelt » Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 am

Hi from UK and North of Khon Kaen, Name is Eric and Thai wife is Nam, married 2 years, and currently just about to purchase some land. Well pleased to find this site. Most helpful in many respects. Will keep you all informed as I stumble my way through the process of land purchase and house build - My Grand Design - Thai style. God help me!. The plan is
(Ha Ha ) to be self suffient in Power and water, with brown water recycling plus an Astronomy Observatory as well as a 3 bedroom house all with Air con (solar powered Air Con ????? Yes I know P=V.I.CosTh ) and maybe a swimming pool if I get lucky....................Maybe?

Cheers ERIC
PS for Solar Powered Aircon see http://www.bsee.co.uk/news/fullstory.ph ... facts.html)
orionsbelt

Re: Hello

Postby dozer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Eric:

Welcome to the forum. I am normally a bit circumspect about posters putting links into their initial posts because normally they are some kind of promotion, spam or other unnecessary noise on the forum.

However, I read the referenced article and it is really good and current information on the ability of solar to power air con, perhaps the 'holy grail' here in Thailand.

Good luck on your project and efforts to 'build green'!
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Hello Again

Postby orionsbelt » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 am

Hi Dozer and all.
Well we are back again after nearly 6 years. We now have a very nice 4 rai plot of land 60km north of Kohn Kaen after all sorts of adventures mistake and errors. We are still living full time in UK and Wife has UK settlement and a good steady job. But we still have plans to build in Thailand. However the end result of the past 9 years experience is that I am learning to listen / speak / read and write Thai and have a brillent Thai teacher and school and have a 2 hour lesson veery 2 weeks or so.
My experiance worth talking about was the attempt in 2010 to purchase 6 rai of excellent land for sale by a bank for 550,000 bt. The banks copy of the Chanote showed the plot for sale, in the right shape and with the correct chanoht marker post numbers. But as we surveyed the plot the plan was displaced by one complete plot to the east and did not match the other land topography features. We attempted to validate the plot using the marker post numbers but could only find 2 of the 4 posts. The Wife had already paid a 10000bt deposite to the bank, and I was being pushed very hard to complete the deal. We went to the Land Office at Nampong and a Thai person offered to come and do a informal land survey that evening for 5000bt in his pocket. The whole thing was looking very suspect. However I wanted this land and returned to the bank and I requested that I pay them an additional sum for a Formal survey and that I would deposit the 550000 in a special account with the sale subject to the survey. The bank declined my offer!!!, this whole thing now looked far to suspect so I withdrew my offer and lost the deposit ( I had a jet to catch the next day)............... Which now has been shown to be the completly wrong thing to do. First of all we later found out that the adjacent land owner had delibratly removed the 2 marker past in and attempt to sell us his land which was half the size. While the chanote drawing did not match the land it did not matter when the land was later sold, it all came good with the formal after sale survey. Now this is the rub that plot of land is on the Exit road from The local ZOO and is currently on the market for around 2 million Bt!!!!!. I was far to careful could not understand what was being said to me and it looked to me as a complete rip off. How wrong can you be. Btw we also had a family lawyer but no advice was forth comeing.
What can you say?? Lesson learned, dont be pushed, take your time, dont believe anything you hear and only believe HALF of what you see. Thing are different in Thailand and btw there will allways be a better plot just around the corner. :D
All the Best
orionsbelt

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:27 pm

orionsbelt wrote:Hi Dozer and all.
Well we are back again after nearly 6 years. We now have a very nice 4 rai plot of land 60km north of Kohn Kaen after all sorts of adventures mistake and errors.

Hi Eric and welcome back.

At 60km it looks as though we are virtual neighbours. Are you still in Khon Kaen province or just into Udon Thani province? We are just in udon at about the same distance.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Hello

Postby orionsbelt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:51 am

Hi Jerome

Yes next village down from you with the zoo.
But we are in UK at this time but hope to visit Feb/March 2016.
While Wifes family is in the village I prefer that we stay at Rachadee Resort by Khon Kaen Airport.
Our building plans are in the early plannang stage and when we implement will depend on the wifes UK job.
Or lack of as the case may be. Me they pay me not to go to work!
Have been looking at all your jpegs very good, maybe we can get to visit you next year, I an sure you have lots of excellent advice on house and garden building.
All the best
ERIC
orionsbelt

Postby pipoz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:21 pm

orionsbelt wrote:Hi Dozer and all.
Well we are back again after nearly 6 years. We now have a very nice 4 rai plot of land 60km north of Kohn Kaen after all sorts of adventures mistake and errors. We are still living full time in UK and Wife has UK settlement and a good steady job. But we still have plans to build in Thailand. However the end result of the past 9 years experience is that I am learning to listen / speak / read and write Thai and have a brillent Thai teacher and school and have a 2 hour lesson veery 2 weeks or so.
My experiance worth talking about was the attempt in 2010 to purchase 6 rai of excellent land for sale by a bank for 550,000 bt. The banks copy of the Chanote showed the plot for sale, in the right shape and with the correct chanoht marker post numbers. But as we surveyed the plot the plan was displaced by one complete plot to the east and did not match the other land topography features. We attempted to validate the plot using the marker post numbers but could only find 2 of the 4 posts. The Wife had already paid a 10000bt deposite to the bank, and I was being pushed very hard to complete the deal. We went to the Land Office at Nampong and a Thai person offered to come and do a informal land survey that evening for 5000bt in his pocket. The whole thing was looking very suspect. However I wanted this land and returned to the bank and I requested that I pay them an additional sum for a Formal survey and that I would deposit the 550000 in a special account with the sale subject to the survey. The bank declined my offer!!!, this whole thing now looked far to suspect so I withdrew my offer and lost the deposit ( I had a jet to catch the next day)............... Which now has been shown to be the completly wrong thing to do. First of all we later found out that the adjacent land owner had delibratly removed the 2 marker past in and attempt to sell us his land which was half the size. While the chanote drawing did not match the land it did not matter when the land was later sold, it all came good with the formal after sale survey. Now this is the rub that plot of land is on the Exit road from The local ZOO and is currently on the market for around 2 million Bt!!!!!. I was far to careful could not understand what was being said to me and it looked to me as a complete rip off. How wrong can you be. Btw we also had a family lawyer but no advice was forth comeing.
What can you say?? Lesson learned, dont be pushed, take your time, dont believe anything you hear and only believe HALF of what you see. Thing are different in Thailand and btw there will allways be a better plot just around the corner. :D
All the Best

Take your time and try and buy Privately, ideally Family to family friend, where they all go down to the Land Registers/Titles Office and do it together. I have bought three, soon to be four plots this way. Each time my TG paid the owner a Deposit (around 20%) and at that time she had a local official, witness and sign that deposit handover slip. Probably a paid local Gangster?

The then Owner went and contracted the check survey through the Local Land Office, who then gave us the survey document (I think she also spoke with the Surveyor on each occasion and then had a few drinks with them when he was doing the survey to make sure all was sweet). They (Owner and TG and her Dad) then all marched off happily together to the Land Register Office, for my TG to pay the balance and to receive the new Title in her (the TG's) name. So far so good, o one has come to repossess the land.

Be patient and land will always come up for sale, as a friend will know a friend who always has a need to sell at some time. Just wait. :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Return to Introduce Yourself