Latest Price For Fill Dirt

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Latest Price For Fill Dirt

Postby geordie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:15 pm

saorsa wrote:I just got quoted 500,000b to raise 1340m2 by 0.5m!!! Crazy price, so if anyone has a contact for BKK/Minburi area for this, please pm me the phone number and I will get the mrs to contact them.
geordie wrote:
The dirt will compact down to the point it nothing like you had delivered you need to enquire locally for the fill its a lottery really if someone is trying to get rid of dirt locally "you win" if not you may well have to transport from further afeild where the price will go up BKK is not an area that has a lot of spare dirt

Did not realize it was in that much short supply ? I would go back to sugestion of wait untill you have finished the build then decide exactly how much you need maybe a pond would help as well just make it small and very very deep :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby saorsa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 pm

geordie wrote:Did not realize it was in that much short supply ? I would go back to sugestion of wait untill you have finished the build then decide exactly how much you need maybe a pond would help as well just make it small and very very deep :roll:

That might be a better plan, especially as the pool will be about 60m2 and 1.5-2.0m deep. Will delay it until I get home anyway which should be in 2 weeks time unless I miss my flight again.
saorsa

Postby Thai Shtick » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi Saorsa,
I wanted to let you know that I got your private message via Dozer and will give you the contact information you requested as soon as I figure how to PM you. I have also asked the CTH mods how to do this. Although I paid more for the dirt than I originally thought I would, as stated earlier I'm happy with the result. I had contacted about 8 companies and prices ranged from about 180 baht/M3 to 360/M3 with varying degrees of quality. I've seen land filled with absolute construction debris for more money than I paid. I've also heard that some fill dirt taken from around Bangkok especially Samut Prakan can have high salt content making it harder to grow certain plants. The dirt (din dam) I purchased from Angtong should negate the need for topsoil later which is even more costly in the Bangkok area. There are many reasons for the higher dirt prices in the metro region, some apparent and some not so, but that's another topic altogether.
Thai Shtick

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Thai Shtick wrote:Hi Saorsa,
I wanted to let you know that I got your private message via Dozer and will give you the contact information you requested as soon as I figure how to PM you. I have also asked the CTH mods how to do this.

<You don't yet have have access to the PM system so please use the contact form and dozer will pass on the information - http://www.coolthaihouse.com/contact-page/ - mod>

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby saorsa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Thai Shtick wrote:Hi Saorsa,
I wanted to let you know that I got your private message via Dozer and will give you the contact information you requested as soon as I figure how to PM you. I have also asked the CTH mods how to do this. Although I paid more for the dirt than I originally thought I would, as stated earlier I'm happy with the result. I had contacted about 8 companies and prices ranged from about 180 baht/M3 to 360/M3 with varying degrees of quality. I've seen land filled with absolute construction debris for more money than I paid. I've also heard that some fill dirt taken from around Bangkok especially Samut Prakan can have high salt content making it harder to grow certain plants. The dirt (din dam) I purchased from Angtong should negate the need for topsoil later which is even more costly in the Bangkok area. There are many reasons for the higher dirt prices in the metro region, some apparent and some not so, but that's another topic altogether.

Got your message, thanks. Will let you know what quote we get from your guy. Told the mrs to make sure they don't know it is for a farang which may make a difference.
saorsa

Postby saorsa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm

460k was quote from that guy, but the quality of the soil was not as good as the more expensive quotes according to my friend.
saorsa

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 pm

still not what i would call a massive saving ? added to poorer quality Forgive me if i have missed the explanation but why are you raising the land doe,s it flood is it neccesary to spend that amont of money on dirt ? i would personally be a bit peed off to say the least and look at other ways of acheiving it IE: build the house higher than any expected flood level also the garage pool pumphouse any dirt footings ect can be recycled on the basis every little helps when you have finished do a calculated minimum fill if the flood level is estblished from last year you know what you have to beat other than that you just have to acheive a run off your land 6" above the surrounding land will force water elswhere onto the road ect; but ask yourself if it did flood what damage to the garden would occur do you need a couple of feet ? or can you live with the fact you might get up and find the garden submerged but if everything of value is above the water is it that much of an issue
geordie

Postby saorsa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 pm

geordie wrote:still not what i would call a massive saving ? added to poorer quality Forgive me if i have missed the explanation but why are you raising the land doe,s it flood is it neccesary to spend that amont of money on dirt ? i would personally be a bit peed off to say the least and look at other ways of acheiving it IE: build the house higher than any expected flood level also the garage pool pumphouse any dirt footings ect can be recycled on the basis every little helps when you have finished do a calculated minimum fill if the flood level is estblished from last year you know what you have to beat other than that you just have to acheive a run off your land 6" above the surrounding land will force water elswhere onto the road ect; but ask yourself if it did flood what damage to the garden would occur do you need a couple of feet ? or can you live with the fact you might get up and find the garden submerged but if everything of value is above the water is it that much of an issue

The land didn't flood last year, so I'm not concerned about that. I was advised that you should raise the land level before building and the land should lie there minimum 3 months, but preferably longer. All the other houses built on the area have had the land raised. 0.5m is the max allowed by the golf course. I was a bit shocked when i got the quote as I expected maybe 250,000b to do it. Will have a think about it.
saorsa

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Even 250,000 if "uneccesary " its half the price of an Eco Car the 1/2 a meter maximum makes sense because otherwise you will have some crank come along and raise the plot 2 meters ? just in case a sunami roars through you can look at it as insurance !! raised house garage workshop poolhouse ? Do you need it?? The Thais have an obsesion with raising the land on the mil build i removed 1/2 a meter to facilitate building under the old house (long story) but the neighbours had taken advantage of the nice boundary wall i put up a couple of years previosly and fill it about 1.7 1.8 mtrs of dirt unbeleivable then built abot 1/2 a mtr off it ? but the real cheek was a cess complete with drainage field the efluent was leaching through the wall and boy did it stink a quick coat of render and a few ton of pure clay wetted down against the wall to counterbalance their fill (and stop the leaching bad smells) it worked within a couple of months they were back on pump outs because their yard turned into a bog and smelt very bad :mrgreen: Most people allow 12 months or so for the ground to settle befor building butits actually not a requirement even when you leave it to settle you should be still digging down to solid original ground the fill cannot settle fully in 12 months
By doing a ""normal build"" you actually save having to dig through half a meter of fill :wink: that follows through on every foundation you put in so a fair labour saving when you finish the construction side of it
you are in a better position to decide just how much dirt you want/need but as an added bonus in the next couple of years anything could happen and a few hundred cubes of cheap dirt might appear one of the neighbours might find a cheap supplier you could ride on the back of that you don,t actually need it for a while so just forget it and work on the design uk the landscaping is left till last anyway :roll:
geordie

Postby Thai Shtick » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but I have noticed that companies in and around Bangkok will give ridiculous quotes if they think you have no knowledge on the subject. They are just as happy to extremely overcharge Thai females, Thai males, hiso Thais and farangs if they think they can get away with it. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that you have to do your homework regarding prices in your area and then call companies and tell them what you're willing to pay. This method however has to be fair and what I would call a win win for both parties involved. The wording in the original contact needs to reflect a very high level of knowledge. I originally had my wife call this particular company and ask them, how much do you charge per cubic meter of din dam? He asked her how much and where. She said 480 m3 delivered to Paknam Samut Prakan. He said 270 per m3. Following my advice, my wife asked, how much din does one truck carry? He said it will be delivered in sip lor (ten wheel trucks) and they carry 22 m3. They agreed to meet at the land the next day because he wanted to see the land. Following the phone call when I asked my wife, how much did he say a 10 wheel truck would carry? She said 22m3 and I shook my head. The next day when I was in the picture his story changed a little. The per m3 price was still 270 baht but based on my knowledge of the subject,now he said the trucks would carry a maximum of 10m3. I asked him how will I know that. And he said the Makro bucket holds 1 m3 and we count ten when filling. So you can see where this story is going. Based on the price I got, and I'm not saying it was good, but it was the best I could do at the time, your job should be around 200,000 baht. The only real difference I see is the actual distance from the source between Paknam Samut Prakan and MInburi Then again there should be a slight discount for bigger jobs. As I'm sure you already know, there is no rhyme or reason for a lot of the business practices in Thailand.

TS
Thai Shtick

Postby geordie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 am

Thai Shtick wrote: As I'm sure you already know, there is no rhyme or reason for a lot of the business practices in Thailand.

TS

That is quite an understatement ? regarding we count ten buckets with the makro ? i have a local builders merchant who can fit 3 cu.mtr into a truck that only holds 2.5 mtres the strange thing is the larger the order the smaller the delivery i ordered one cubic meter it looked a bit short but its not easy so i then ordered a further 2 cube it turned up looking decidedly light ? unhappy as i was i still needed more stone so ordered 3 cu.mtr this time the same truck arrived with what looked like 1.5 mtrs on it being thoroughly peed off by this time i got out a tape and a calculator and measured the truck level loaded 1.8 mtrs humped spillng off the sides 2+ meters so by my estimate 1 cu.mtr =.75 ! 2 cu.mtr = 1.5 ! 3 cub mtr =1.6 roughly when i called the boss out and had a discusion on it showing her the calculations she begrudgingly agreed to supply free another 1 cubic meter still leaving the total well short of the six cubic meters i paid for anoying to say the least but she damm well knows what her truck carries and relies on peoples ignorance to steal from them not suprisingly the favorite are ready mix concrete ? i documented elswhere about a freind in uk getting cheap concrete from the driver it was only when i pointed out that before the truck left the yard it was weighed he was paying for 10 cubic meters (2 c mtrs cash) when in reality the maximum the truck could carry was eight and as it happened i knew the owner of the company ?? so knew damm well the system of weighing the trucks and issuing them with a delivery note showing what its weight was ? and i have had it personally several time,s short loads rather than extra on the mil build we had a short load the driver probably dropped 1/2 -a mtr off on the way to us on a 3mtr truck very noticable i was pouring the floor slab
and the over was suposed to go onto a couple of the foundation pads instead i did not have enough to finish the slab i simply informed the driver that it would not be hapenning again or his boss would be informed then went to the company yard and asked them to telephone me every delivery as the truck drove through the gates so i would know if the driver deviated strangely after those mesures wer put into place and me climbing the ladder to check every load the loads all became bigger here its russian roulette in the uk you can call trading standards who will investigate and prosecute in some cases here you vote with you feet and find a different supplier not always that simple
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:08 am

What I love about the so called Western countries Geordie ! is there is NO ? corruption / bribery or stealing , only in Thailand .
Mike Judd

Postby the.maestro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

hi to all,
the best method in getting a land fill quote for your project,
is price by the truckload
1,calculate how many cubic metres is required
2/ 6wheeler carrys 5 cubes
3/10 wheeler carry 9 cubes
4/then divide the truck cubes(either 5or9 ) into total of cubes calculated
5/which will give u the total number truck loads needed for your project
6/then multiply your truckloads by the price quoted,and you will have your total price

my projects, have only used 10 wheelers,where the thai method is ten scoops for a load is used, full stop
10 thai scoops*(approx 9 cubes) will fill a ten wheeler to the gunnells, in a uneven spread,

the above measurements are of course approx, but will give u a rule of thumb estimate in loads ,and total price

keep things simple :) , the maestro
the.maestro

Postby pipoz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am

Just got back from Udon Thani, where someone not far from me, was in the process of filling/raising his land, so I went and enquired about the cost.

Spoke with the Contractor and for the 1 Rai area and he said that he was charging TB 500 per 6 Wheel Truck load and TB 900 per 10 Wheel Truck load, for delivery, placement and flattening out with a KamastoTractor (no real compaction).

The fill was mostly clay bolders (red-grey in colour, no roots/veg matter etc), pretty much loked like what I bought when they excavated for a Dam up the road. It self compacts down reasonably well and goes hard, after one good wet season.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Breizh29 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 pm

price for a 6 wheels with tractor to spread the land in Bueng Bun (Sisaket province): 300 bahts .
Breizh29

PreviousNext

Return to land