Latest Price For Fill Dirt

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Latest Price For Fill Dirt

Postby Boon Mee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 am

Hello All,

The missus just bought a 2 rai piece adjoining her property in Suphanburi and it's going to need some fill. Was wondering if any y'all know what the latest price for fill is going for? Three years ago we brought in >200 10 lor truck loads of a mixture between 'din dum' and regular nasty fill and I know the price has gone up since.

Thanks in advance for any info!

BM
Boon Mee

Postby somdet » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:49 am

Around my house, good clean red dirt is 650 baht for a large truckload and 450 baht for a small truckload. A large truckload is roughly 12 cubic meters of material, while a small one is about 9. This price is for local dirt coming from less than 2 km away from my wife's property in Phanat Nikhom, Chonburi.
somdet

Postby Boon Mee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 am

^
Cheers somdet...
Boon Mee

Re: Latest Price For Fill Dirt

Postby rsokolowski » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I was just quoted a price of 650 Baht per large truck full (10 wheel truck), and that price includes spreading it around evenly. This is in the village of Lahansai in Buriram.

Mahalo,

Roy
rsokolowski

Postby jazzman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 am

Unfortunately, the cost of fill dirt is probably the most variable of all construction materials.
The price of a 6-wheel truckload can vary from 250 to 500 baht. The best deal is a local one, where somebody is already excavating a reservoir or irrigation pond, and wants to get rid of the dirt.

Last week (14 Feb 2009) I paid 400 baht per load for several 10-wheel truckloads in Suwannakuha district, Isaan. This included the cost of a tractor to smooth it into place.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby BillH52 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:40 am

Current quote - same area (Lahansai) 300 baht for 6 wheel truck.
BillH52

Postby thaifly » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:16 pm

its a gidday to all ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM... from my own experience...the prices can vary..because of the quality of the soil bought.....for a normal landfill...yes it can between 300 to 500 baht a six wheeler or 5 cubic metres...for poor quality soil...but if you are going to do a landscape job... where top quality soil is needed...it can be a great deal more....and well worth the extra costs...as at a later date if you use poor quality the weeds and s**t that comes with it will appear very quickly in fact you might even get a couple bannana trees for nicks...and be warned...check there loads are full to the brim...and if you do a local job..check the quality of soil and where its coming from...and during the course of the job...if its a big one...double check to make sure that they have nt changed to other site...i assure you THE LOCAL JOBS..... can be a SHIFTY LOT...its a SMOGGY GIDDAY...TO ALL its the thaifly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby DrDave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:59 am

Last week we bought 20 small truckloads at 110 baht each to use as fill between foundation beams. Not concerned with the quality of the dirt in this case. A tractor to push the dirt around was only an additional 10 baht per truckload. This was from a local guy operating out of his house, with a nearby source of dirt.

In our area (rural Phayao), what people call a "cube" is by no means a full cubic meter. They quote the small truckload as being 3 cubes, but what they really mean is that its 3 scoops from a macro, whose bucket capacity is nowhere near 1 cubic meter. The 20 truckloads we bought yielded about 40 actual cubic meters, at a cost of 2,200 baht (or 55 baht per cubic meter).
DrDave

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am

This is something new.
I've never heard of fill dirt being sold by the cu. The common way - at least in Isaan - is to talk about truckloads of of either 6-wheel or 10-wheel trucks.

If you have been getting full 6-wheel (small truck?) loads for 110 baht , then you got yourself an excellent deal.
Th tractor for 10 baht a truckload was also an excellent price. In some areas the price might be 500 baht per hour for the tractor. Here in Isaan it is 500 baht per day for leveling building plots and rice fields, or ploughing rice fields. This would equate to about 250 baht per day for the driver, and 250 baht to amortise the cost of his (or her) tractor over a period of 10 years.

As ThaiFLy mentions, good quality topsoil for planting could cost considerably more.

A back-hoe, is equipment generally used for digging holes and trenches, as is scoops 'backwards' towards the driver's cab. The are usually track laying vehicles.
A mechanical shovel, on the other hand, is usually wheeled, and fills its scoop buy pushing forward into the pile of material. The standard bucket size in use for filling trucks with sand or aggregate (gravel), is in fact exactly one cubic metre when filled flat to the rim.

I have come across many discrepancies in deliveries of sand and gravel. If I don't know the firm well, I either measure the pile they dumped, or go and see how the truck is being loaded, and see if they are using a full bucket.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:59 pm

jazzman wrote:This is something new.
I've never heard of fill dirt being sold by the cu. The common way - at least in Isaan - is to talk about truckloads of of either 6-wheel or 10-wheel trucks
its a gidday to all..its the thaifly from mae rim..same applys to the thai fly..can any one put me straight??? what cubic meteres does a 6 wheel and 10wheel truck hold????...any truckies out there...its a rainy GIDDAY TO ALL...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm

With earth, I think it depends more on the weight they can carry. The specific gravity of wet earth from a drained reservoir that is being enlarged is of course more than dry dirt. It also depends on the soil composition. the more sand the heavier it is, the more silt the lighter it is.generally, loose earth weights about 1.2 ton per cu, and compact earth weighs 1.6 ton per cu.
The payload of a six-wheel truck is about 7.5 tons, while a 10-wheeler will carry 12 - 14 tons depending on its tare.

What I have here is heavy solid argilo-calceous clay, but 20 Km away it is much lighter sand-silt alluvium.. As I mentioned previously, the prices seem to vary considerably, even in the same area, so I have never been able to establish any criteria.
Taking the average mix of dirt, it would be about 1 cu = 1.45 ton so you should get about 5 cu of dirt on a six wheel truck, and 8 - 9.6 cu on a 10-wheeler.
A 6-wheel CPAC truck for example, delivers 3 cu of concrete, and a 10-wheeler delivers 7 cu.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:18 am

jazzman wrote:
Taking the average mix of dirt, it would be about 1 cu = 1.45 ton so you should get about 5 cu of dirt on a six wheel truck, and 8 - 9.6 cu on a 10-wheeler.

gidday to the great jazzman...its the thaifly frommae rim...thanks for that...you are spot on your calculations above..i always thought that a 6 wheeler carried 5 cu a load..and somewhere in one my posts i have mentioned this.. thank you AGAIN.. for confirming this ... so DOCS...PRICE.. comes to 275 baht...a load.... A VERY NICE PRICE INDEED...in fact a bargain...jassy you mentioned tractor price of 500 baht a hour i can confirm this price as i have paid it on two occassions...and know of others who have done the same in c/mai...THAT IS MAFIA RATES AT ITS BEST...i see my tractor driver frequently..i always receive a huge smile wonder why...ROBBING BASTARD..... but at times you have to bite the bullett during a build as your hands are tied to do anything about it...BUT PAY.. its a DIRT GIDDAY TO ALL ...its the thai fly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Slightly off-topic, but an intersting story:

We have a large rectangular pond behind our house that is L30 x W14 x D3 metres. We have been wondering for a long time what to do with it: breed fish, put a floating sala on it, or just fill it in.

As you can see from my calculations above, filling it would need 252, 6-wheel truckloads. Even if I could get those at as little as 250 baht per truck it would cost me 63,000 baht. That would make the gained 420 m2 very expensive indeed, and not being a 'rich farang' it is quite out of the question.

HOWEVER, sometimes the fairy godmother is lurking just round the corner, and this time in the form of the local barber who owns the 15 rai of farmland directly behind my house and which also contains a similar sized pond. For some reason he is desperate for money and yesterday asked if I want to buy it at 10,000 per rai.
Now, I could buy that land and hire a backhoe and two 6-wheel trucks for 2 days at 5,000 baht a day, increase the size of the pond on the farmland into a larger, decorative lake, and dump the dirt in my pond.

Solution:
- I get my pond filled for 10,000 baht,

- I get a large decorative lake that can be used for irrigation permitting me to do 2 rice harvests a year, produce it on an commercial scale, mill it in the mill we already own, and sell it on the market.

- Breed fish in the lake and sell it at the market.

- Build another row of bungalows (if the demand exists) on the filled-in pond, or maybe just another sala.

That's what I call a business plan.

Conclusion:
I'm going to buy that 15 rai !
jazzman

Postby DrDave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Just for clarity, we were quoted the price per truckload (what they refer to as 1 rot dump). We asked how many cubes would be in 1 rot dump, and were told 3 (which my wife quickly determined to be macro scoops after some further discussion).

Before ordering, I looked at the truck and tried to calculate how much it would hold. Its a small 6-wheeler, and the bed sides have a height of well under 1 meter so there's not much capacity. Estimating length, width and depth, I came up with about 1.7 m3, which turned out to be not too far off the mark. In any event, I'm very happy that we were able to get 40m3 for 2,200 baht!

Wish I could attach photos of the truck, tractor and dirt, but we're about 1500km from the site, with my wife doing all procurement via phone. We'll be going up to the site before Songkran, and hope to start the build story thread with some photos soon after.
DrDave

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:18 pm

DrDave wrote:Just for clarity, we were quoted the price per truckload (what they refer to as 1 rot dump). We asked how many cubes would be in 1 rot dump, and were told 3 (which my wife quickly determined to be macro scoops after some further discussion).

Before ordering, I looked at the truck and tried to calculate how much it would hold. Its a small 6-wheeler, and the bed sides have a height of well under 1 meter so there's not much capacity. Estimating length, width and depth, I came up with about 1.7 m3, which turned out to be not too far off the mark. In any event, I'm very happy that we were able to get 40m3 for 2,200 baht!

This seems like a fair deal. You can compare your calculations by reading the details in my two previous posts.
jazzman

Next

Return to land