Land Filling and Clearing

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Land Filling and Clearing

Postby pleddy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:11 am

To attract more visits, the title of this topic was edited by a moderator.

Hello All,

Have property in Buriram. (3.5rai)

Am presently having the land raised, and plan to start building...next November.

All that I can add, is that (we) have agreed on a price of 200thb per truckload, of fill dirt. This price, includes initial clearing of trees, bushes, etc. And, final leveling of the land. I thought that this seemed a fair price.

Any comments, are welcomed.

More later....

pleddy
pleddy

Postby SVielha » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi Pleaddy.

Welcome here.

Do you really want to make 3.5 Rai 1m higher ?

Thats a lot.

I did this for 1.000 sqm and that cost around 1.000 Euro.

Also you have to wait for a while, before you can build a house on this ground, because the ground has to sink again, before building.

Have a look, that the worker don`t throw the old trees on the ground and just put the sand over it. That would make you a lot of trouble in the future, when the trees start to go to seed.
SVielha

Postby jazzman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi Pleddy, I had exactly the same done in March this year so that i could wait through a whole rainy season before building on it. However, to get the whole of your 3 rai raised is questionable, it's one hell of a big area bearing in mind that the footprint of the average house is only a max of about 16 x 16 metres and that is only a very small part of your land. My house is 14 x 12 and I had 1.5 (one and a half) rai raised 40cm. This was 160 truckloads at 250 baht per load and included clearing the land, digging out the roots of any unwanted trees, burning the rubish, levelling and compacting the new dirt. i got several different estimates for doing it, asking myself, then of course getting a Thai to go and ask the same. We have now completed the foundations of the house, and dug out the hole for the swimming pool and it still leaves us with such an enormous garden that we have decided to build four bungalows, an restaurant and a minimart on it - all on 1.5 rai.Everyone wanted 40,000 baht, so that's what I paid. I think it was reasonable considering that somewhere someone has to amortize an expensive backhoe to dig the stuff out and fill the trucks, the trucks and the diesel costs for the 160 journeys, the drivers' wages, the tractor driver and his tractor, and the time they took to do it (two full days). i have since had other dirt delivered in much smaller quantities for other things and the price and the service is still the same.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the board, good luck on your project.

Just discussed this 'price per load' of fill dirt with Ms Dozer. The fill would come in a 10 wheel truck which if memory serves me right holds 10 - 12 cubic meters of soil. The prices in Pattaya are definetly more, and from talking with neighbors it all depends on the location and access to soil in that location. This would make sense since transportation costs would be high. At the low end of the scale, places with cheap soil, prices would be starting at about 200 up, at the high end of the scale, eg. Pattaya prices would be 700 and up. In Udon it is 500 +.
dozer
Site Admin

dtin-dirt

Postby dave » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 pm

Hello neighbor, Amazing that you can pay more for the fill dirt than the property! I paid 200 baht per load in the small 2 meter trucks with grading afterward. Funny then afterward we proceeded to dig meter square holes down to the "old dirt" for the post footings.Because of this you do not need the fill to settle that much cuz it doesnt support anything for very long and probably never would. Maybe drivway. I am outside Phrakon chai and will return there in late feb. I stopped building while away cuz what can go wrong will. Did plumbing myself cuz thats what I do in US>
dave

Postby jazzman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi Dave,
You probably noticed we also have an Isaan forum now, for anything with the Pattaya members aren't interested in, like where's your nearest 7-Eleven where you can bu a loaf of bread? (Mines nearly 70 Km away!) or the nearest kindergarten for the kids.

Land can be very cheap here, in fact I was offered a huge 10 rai plot about 12 months ago for 10,000 bahr per rai. It would have suited me down to ground actually (forgive the pun) because it was the kind of isolation I enjoy, but when I got married my wife's family gave us a piece of prime real estate that is worth more like 150,000 baht per rai.

Yes, you have to calculate the depth of your foundations starting at the original dirt. I dug down 1.5 metere into the origibal surface, just to be on the safe side. You can use the infill to support your interior floors, but make sure it is well drained, dry and compacted first, and that you leave rebar about 5 cm proud of the footings for it to key into.

Jazzman
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 am

Hi guys, I am still spending time reading this forum. There is 1 thing about land filling I quite don't understand here. That's probably a naive question from a non expert in building but:

Why don't you just built your house, with your land as it is, with the foundation and ground floor at the required finish level and fill the land afterwards.
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 pm

The calculated depth of the foundations holes should preferably start BELOW any recent in-fill dirt. Remember, it's the solid stuff that stops the foundations from sinking!
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:24 pm

I know. this is why am wondering what are the cons to fill your land first and then dig back for your foundation preparation. Why filling the land first?
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Precisely - and that is one way to achieve your vide sanitaire :D
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Oups! Not sure to understand your answer. But I realised my question was not clear as I wrote "cons" but had "pros" in mind.

Do you mean that filling your land is one way to achieve your vide sanitaire? In my view, it is the opposite, i.e. not filling the land first allow to achieve a vide sanitaire, as land will be fill afterwards around the house, leaving the space between the initial level of the land and the ground floor empty. Is that what you meant?

Sorry for the confusion. could you confirm.
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Yes, if you don't fill your land, you will have the space underneath the house, provided you build your footing posts high enough. It will probably become clear if you follow the links to the photos in my other postings.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:49 pm

You may also like to visit this threqd by CTH member Apetly:
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5182#5182
His pictures qre very good.
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:22 am

Let's forget about the 'vide sanitaire', I will go for the conventional pillars + beams foundation system.

When you want to have your ground floor raised by 1m above natural land, would you recommend to fill the land first and dig down for your foundation preparation after; or would you recommend adding the dirt while your built your beams and pour your ground floor?
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Like manny questions on this site, I would not 'reccommend' either, as to follow my free advice may be to precipitate an error. I have never seen your land or its substrate.

You will find a great many postings on this web site about land-filling, probably the best thing to do is to read them all and make a note of the general consensus.
jazzman

Next

Return to land