Land size for house

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Land size for house

Postby Paulie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 am

Anyone know what the maxium size house for a piece of land should be?

Ive got a narow long plot around 7m wide by about 20m.
Just trying to work out dimensions for a 3 bed house
Paulie

Re: Land size for house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am

Paulie wrote:Anyone know what the maxium size house for a piece of land should be?

Ive got a narow long plot around 7m wide by about 20m.
Just trying to work out dimensions for a 3 bed house

It rather depends exactly where you are. If in town or deep in the countryside, and what or who is on your borders.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 am

Keep in mind there are typically regulations regarding how close you can build a structure to a border. Including the roof overhang it may have to be 2 meters inside. So the space you could legally use for your house might be 3 meters wide in this case or people could cause trouble for you. And even if you could get away with wider, it would probably be a bad idea. Someone could build something so close to you that your whole wall is blocked by theirs. Don't think it won't happen. A common mistake is people think about the way things look now, not considering that 5 or 10 years down the road development will have risen over and over.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 am

canopy wrote:Keep in mind there are typically regulations regarding how close you can build a structure to a border. Including the roof overhang it may have to be 2 meters inside. So the space you could legally use for your house might be 3 meters wide in this case or people could cause trouble for you. And even if you could get away with wider, it would probably be a bad idea. Someone could build something so close to you that your whole wall is blocked by theirs. Don't think it won't happen. A common mistake is people think about the way things look now, not considering that 5 or 10 years down the road development will have risen over and over.

I think that that is maybe an old law and that the current law is 50cm or 1 metre unless you have the adjoining land owner's permission to build closer, but you cannot allow water from your roof to fall outside your boundary.

The best advice is talk to the department who have to approve your building plans if you need them or the village headman if you don't

Local rules often over rule national rules.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mikenot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm

I believe it is 50cms from the boundary, but 2 metres if there is a window along that wall. Don't know if it makes any difference whether the window opens or not, but I guess you could use glass bricks and build up to the 50cm limit. :)
And rainwater should not flow off your structure roof onto your neighbours land
mikenot

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The best advice is talk to the department who have to approve your building plans if you need them or the village headman if you don't

Local rules often over rule national rules.

I live in what is regarded as the bush (Bang Bua Thong). All the rules are the same across Thailand no matter where you are. You must be 2 metres from any boundary with a wall and your roof must be 1 metre from the boundary. There is no rule about windows. The only exception is for townhouses when they abut each other, hence the rule about windows is nonexistent.
There is also a rule about the amount of space the building takes up compared to the land it sits on. I believe it is 82% of the land, the rest must be for a "garden" or other non structures.
I was faced with the same problem if you have a look at my build and managed to get around it with some creative thinking.
You could divide the house into two with two car ports in the middle. Kitchen and lounge on one side and sleeping on the other, or you could go up two stories. If you do a search for plans for a restrictive space you'll turn up a lot of designs if you use the car ports as entrances and link them over the top to give you one large room.
Good luck, sounds like an interesting build.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

This is from posts at Thai Vista.

A low-rise, not exceeding 12m height for the roof.
Reg will be, 0.5m clear walking space between solid wall (with no openings) to property line, or 2m for three sides of building, or edge of balconies, including upper floors.
Distance will be 3m for front side of house to the front property line.

Distance front depends of how wide the road is. 8 meters road, 2 meters from front property line.
0,5 meters distance with solid wall, glass-blocks and vent blocks are accepted in building permits. Also possible to increase distance to 2 meters for only parts of wall with windows.
More than 2 meters from property line can be required, for instance property line is a klong usually 3 meters.
After completion/ Tabien Baan, it is very common to build illegally in setback. 90% of small houses in projects build their kitchen/laundry in rear setback to property line
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

BKKBILL wrote:This is from posts at Thai Vista.

A low-rise, not exceeding 12m height for the roof.
Reg will be, 0.5m clear walking space between solid wall (with no openings) to property line, or 2m for three sides of building, or edge of balconies, including upper floors.
Distance will be 3m for front side of house to the front property line.

Distance front depends of how wide the road is. 8 meters road, 2 meters from front property line.
0,5 meters distance with solid wall, glass-blocks and vent blocks are accepted in building permits. Also possible to increase distance to 2 meters for only parts of wall with windows.
More than 2 meters from property line can be required, for instance property line is a klong usually 3 meters.
After completion/ Tabien Baan, it is very common to build illegally in setback. 90% of small houses in projects build their kitchen/laundry in rear setback to property line

If the kitchen/laundry is not attached to the house then it's a temporary structure (the rules on what attached means are a little vague) and as such it can go to the property line. The rule about water not crossing the boundary from the roof still applies.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 pm

BKKBILL wrote:After completion/ Tabien Baan, it is very common to build illegally in setback. 90% of small houses in projects build their kitchen/laundry in rear setback to property line

Yes Bill, Thai Visa are correct for a change, but what they didn't say was one complaint from the neighbours about anything added and a visit from the Or Bor Tor or Tabien Baan and that structure must be torn down.
When I took the boss of the Or Bor Tor on the tour of his new drainage construction I pointed out all the incursions onto the imaginary footpath. He replied they would all be taken away and "no built again". The fiefdoms that have been built up over the years are now following, as best they can, the laws that have been in place for years, so I'm pleased I followed the law to the letter. Our road (private) is exactly 8 metres wide, but the speed humps the residents have put in are illegal, but I rather like them, so I didn't point them out.
Our drains are in finally, but the road is a total mess, so if I damage the BMW it will be straight to the boss again.
The farmers are up in arms over the water they need for their rice paddies, so they are pumping from one paddie to the next. How can they charge them for drainage water from a klong?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Paulie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks for the replies

Next door is family both sides, location is ban nong yai. I most houses seem to be built right up to the boarders in this area.

Pic of the plot here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5289
Its a long narrow plot only problem is we cant take the old house down untill the new one is built so plan is to build on the filled land at the back first.

Options are try to squeeze a 3 bed house on the space or to build on the space but with the intention to extend out front once the old house comes diwn and the front has been filled
Paulie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:20 am

So it looks as if you are near the Udon ring road. This will mean that you will have to get your plans approved and building permission. As such you must talk to the office that will stamp your plan and give permission.

Just because your neighbours have done it doesn't mean that you can do it with no problem in the future.

If you need the space, build in a way that you can demolish the part that is close to the boundary without problems to the rest of the house.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Paulie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes this area is now just inside the new ring road. Since completing the ring road land prices in this area have almist doubled.
Most want 1million minimum now for a 100 talang wha size plot
Paulie

Postby pipoz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Paulie wrote:Yes this area is now just inside the new ring road. Since completing the ring road land prices in this area have almist doubled.

Just out of curiosity, where would one find a good legible map of where the New Outer Ring Road, is planned to go. I have seen a few hand drawing maps/images but they are very basic. Do you know where I could get a good legible map of the route of the New Outer Ring Road

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Klondyke » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm

You can find the place in Google Earth, select "with scale legend", focus as you need and make a save or direct print. You can also measure by the ruler.
Klondyke

Postby Paulie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm

pipoz wrote:
Paulie wrote:Yes this area is now just inside the new ring road. Since completing the ring road land prices in this area have almist doubled.

Just out of curiosity, where would one find a good legible map of where the New Outer Ring Road, is planned to go. I have seen a few hand drawing maps/images but they are very basic. Do you know where I could get a good legible map of the route of the New Outer Ring Road

pipoz

Just use google maps. The ring road is finished easy to zoom in and out on google maps
Paulie

Next

Return to land