Rice Paddy

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Rice Paddy

Postby Mai Mii » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:34 pm

As some of you will be aware, I have been out and about on the hunt for some land.

Not what I was looking for, but I have been offered land that is currently rice paddy.

Does anyone have any direct experience, or have built on rice paddy and could give me a rundown on easy or difficult it is to prepare the ground for building ?

Thanks

MM
Mai Mii

Re: Rice Paddy

Postby martin b » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Mai Mii, about ten years ago me and Mrs b filled a rice paddy with soil, we raised the paddy about 500mm higher than the mound and left it to settle over about three years , after that we added another 500mm of soil on to which we planned to build our house, we let that settle for a couple of years letting cows and buffaloes walk all over it and eventually the ground became very compacted.
when we came to dig the footings for the house the soil was like concrete and we had to pour water on the soil to make it soft enough to dig, the digging was done by hand and very hard work getting through the two layers of compacted soil.

We had loads of time to play with and let nature do the work

cheers martin b
martin b

Postby rogernel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi MM,

We have recently built on 3 rai of rice paddy without the long wait that others propose. We raised the land 1.7 meters, installed a retaining wall and a perimeter wall on top of that. The soil will definitely settle but, if you need pilings for your foundation (and most rice paddies do) it won't matter so much. In our case, the land has settled about 20 cm in the last year and will require more fill dirt but the building foundation is solid.

Just a word of caution though. Depending on how much you need to raise the land, the cost of your useable land can be much higher than you expected due to the cost of dirt, retaining walls, makros, etc.

Good luck!
rogernel

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

rogernel wrote:Hi MM,

We have recently built on 3 rai of rice paddy without the long wait that others propose. We raised the land 1.7 meters, installed a retaining wall and a perimeter wall on top of that. The soil will definitely settle but, if you need pilings for your foundation (and most rice paddies do) it won't matter so much. In our case, the land has settled about 20 cm in the last year and will require more fill dirt but the building foundation is solid.

Just a word of caution though. Depending on how much you need to raise the land, the cost of your useable land can be much higher than you expected due to the cost of dirt, retaining walls, makros, etc.

Good luck!

Its very true that if your area needs pilings then there is no real need to wait.
However saying that most rice paddy land needs pilings is not correct. You need to know the requirements of your area for that. In our area, due to the soil being a heavy clay pilings are not needed even for current paddy land.

If your area is on a silt bed then you will almost always need pilings.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to land