land measurement terms

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

land measurement terms

Postby Morang » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:59 am

I’m sure I have seen land measurement terms that Thais use converted to meters somewhere in a post but can’t find it now. Could someone post a conversion chart please, :?: we are looking to buy a building block Kaeng Khoi Sarabury while we are here. I’m getting confused and Thais don’t seem to use Meters when talking about prices. :?:
Morang

Re: land measurement terms

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Wikipedia:

A rai (Thai: ไร่ [râj]) is a unit of area, equal to 1 square sen (เส้น) or 1,600 square metres (40 m × 40 m), and is used in measuring land area for a cadastre or cadastral map.[note 1] Its current size is precisely derived from the metre, but is neither part of nor recognized by the modern metric system, the International System (SI).

The rai equals 4 ngaan (Thai: งาน [ŋāːn]) or 400 tarangwa (Thai: ตารางวา [tāː.rāːŋ wāː]) aka square wa.

It is commonly used in Thailand and equals 16 ares, another unit that is based on the metre and commonly used in several countries. Although recognized by the SI, its use is not encouraged. The word also means plantation.
fredlk

Postby Morang » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:27 am

fredlk wrote:Wikipedia:

A rai (Thai: ไร่ [râj]) is a unit of area, equal to 1 square sen (เส้น) or 1,600 square metres (40 m × 40 m), and is used in measuring land area for a cadastre or cadastral map.[note 1] Its current size is precisely derived from the metre, but is neither part of nor recognized by the modern metric system, the International System (SI).

The rai equals 4 ngaan (Thai: งาน [ŋāːn]) or 400 tarangwa (Thai: ตารางวา [tāː.rāːŋ wāː]) aka square wa.

It is commonly used in Thailand and equals 16 ares, another unit that is based on the metre and commonly used in several countries. Although recognized by the SI, its use is not encouraged. The word also means plantation.

Thanks but still confused. they keep saying 110 salang war what ever that is :(
Morang

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:25 pm

110 Talang (square) wah is 110 x 4 = 440 square metres.
fredlk

Postby Morang » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:28 pm

fredlk wrote:110 Talang (square) wah is 110 x 4 = 440 square metres.

Thanks for that it all makes sense now. I stepped it out at 20x20 Mt and Iit's the size we need for the house with a small garden.
Morang

Postby pipoz » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

HI just type in "thailand land measurements" under Google, and go into he link for www.soho-properties.com/landmeasurement.php (second from top of page)

It all make sense then.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Morang » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 pm

pipoz wrote:HI just type in "thailand land measurements" under Google, and go into he link for http://www.soho-properties.com/landmeasurement.php (second from top of page)

It all make sense then.

pipoz

Yes it all makes sense now thanks
Morang

Postby Morang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:17 am

Hi and Happy New Year to all coolthaihouse members.

I am looking for the costs to register a 100 square Wah block of land. I understand that there will be a survey fee and a separate fee to transfer and register the cart note with taxes included.
It looks like we are running out of time in Thailand this trip we have only just managed to get the wife’s Thai ID card back. After living in Australia for 34 years and holding an Australian passport for 30 years without renewing her old Thai passport its taken 2 weeks of this trip to get her ID registered. Hence no time left to haggle over the price of the block we are looking at the owner is asking for TB 9500 per TW plus I pay the taxes-transfer, the price seems high for Kaeng Khoi Sarabury I feel there is a bit of falang costing in the price. Its been suggested that we go back home and let the owner think we have lost interest in the land and let a family member buy the land when the price drops down back to where it should. Then the next trip was will transfer the land to the wife’s name hence the question of transfer fees.
A word of advice to everybody married to a Thai and living outside of Thailand Keep that Thai passport and ID card current,
Morang

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:11 am

Morang wrote: I am looking for the costs to register a 100 square Wah block of land. I understand that there will be a survey fee and a separate fee to transfer and register the cart note with taxes included.

For my 490 square wah I paid somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 Baht in transfer and registration fees.
Morang wrote:the owner is asking for TB 9500 per TW plus I pay the taxes-transfer

Ridiculous. Here near the seaside the price has recently gone up to 3,500 Baht per square wah and some are already asking 4,500.
Morang wrote:Its been suggested that we go back home and let the owner think we have lost interest in the land and let a family member buy the land when the price drops down back to where it should.

A very good idea.
fredlk

Postby Morang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks for the info Fredik.

That’s about the price range I was thinking it should be. However there seems there has been a bit of a price surge here at Kaeng Khoi, since there has been talk of the new high speed train line going in it seems that Kaeng Khoi Junction the local train station will be a major transit point for the new line, but 9500 per SW is way over the top.
What areas are you quoting your prices from? So I can add them to my argument
Morang

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 am

Morang wrote:What areas are you quoting your prices from? So I can add them to my argument

Bang Saray and Sattahip, right next door to Pattaya and 2 to 3 kilometres from the beach.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 am

Morang wrote:there has been talk of the new high speed train line going in it seems that Kaeng Khoi Junction the local train station will be a major transit point for the new line

It could / might / possibly come maybe in 2030 or 2040 but using it now as an argument is a desperate measure.
fredlk

Postby Morang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 am

fredlk wrote:
Morang wrote:there has been talk of the new high speed train line going in it seems that Kaeng Khoi Junction the local train station will be a major transit point for the new line

It could / might / possibly come maybe in 2030 or 2040 but using it now as an argument is a desperate measure.

Thanks again fredlk. just been looking at your build posts nice house
Morang

Postby Morang » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi fredlk and all coolthaihouse members.
We are back home now in Australia thanks for your advice fredlk.

An update on the land price in Kaeng Khoi rip-off we have told the owners of the block that they are dreaming (to coin a phrase from the movie The Castel, “an Aussie classic”) and have decided to build on a block of land we bought in the wife’s village of Nong Moo, Saraburi 28 years ago, that we registered in her mother’s name with a full Chanote Tee Din. Since she has since died I was been unable to understand what has been stopping us from selling this land, after reading a post in CTH I now understand. So we asked if anybody in the family had objections to us building on the land, it seems that they were expecting and waiting for us to build there since we bought it.. So it’s all go for us now, the BT1,000,000 plus for the land in Kaeng Khoi that we were looking at can now go into the house build.

The House we are planning the build is the same house that Thaipete is building with some minor mods. Thanks Thaipete, for your posts a nice build.

I would also would like to thank Thaipom26 I have been following your posts on CTH and your blog as a an APS worker I am hoping to follow in your retirement footsteps in two years,

Happy new year to all at CTH will be back in December to start some retaining wall work to finish off building up the house area of the block that was started 20 years ago.
Gary & Add Moran
Morang

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Morang wrote:the BT1,000,000 plus for the land in Kaeng Khoi that we were looking at can now go into the house build.

Well done. The sellers of that piece of land are now crying into their noodles and telling everyone about how they just missed out on becoming millionaires.
fredlk

Return to land