Clearing the forest

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Clearing the forest

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:59 am

I just spent a lazy few hrs researching how to clear the land of vegetation. Initially i was going to use Glyphosate/Roundup but having just read reports that it IS dangerous, I looked up alternatives.
So plan a/ is to use SALT. Its cheap and I dont really want anything growing on the land for at least two years. Mowing costs around a 1000b a pop because the Napier grass is difficult to cut down. The land was mowed two weeks ago for the survey and its already a foot high!
Vinegar and detergent mix is the preferred non toxic mixture but can be more expensive than Roundup. So SALT it is. The neighbours around me will love me and stay away. They will wonder what powerful chemicals I used, :lol:
Now for a trip to Macro! :D
Andyfteeze

Re: Clearing the forest

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 am

Andyfteeze wrote:I just spent a lazy few hrs researching how to clear the land of vegetation. Initially i was going to use Glyphosate/Roundup but having just read reports that it IS dangerous, I looked up alternatives.
So plan a/ is to use SALT. Its cheap and I dont really want anything growing on the land for at least two years. Mowing costs around a 1000b a pop because the Napier grass is difficult to cut down. The land was mowed two weeks ago for the survey and its already a foot high!
Vinegar and detergent mix is the preferred non toxic mixture but can be more expensive than Roundup. So SALT it is. The neighbours around me will love me and stay away. They will wonder what powerful chemicals I used, :lol:
Now for a trip to Macro! :D

Don't forget that salt will migrate to other land and poison that as well.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Clearing the forest

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:52 am

Somehow, I dont think the land around me will ever be used to grow rice again, :lol:
I am in the middle of suburbia, behind a Tesco/Lotus store. No one has grown rice behind or around for a few years now.
So care factor, NON !
I threw down 11 bags of rocksalt and the topsoil is only half to one inch. Clay fill then raises the land from the ground by half a meter.
Even if two meters away from my boundary becomes baren, I am sure nobody will be concerned. Thats two meters someone doesnt have to pay to clear.
I am sure that after two wet seasons, it will be so dilluted as to have no effect.
This is the Roman way, and true to form, I am following in their footsteps :lol: (Carthage and other conquests ). Ready to unfurl my mast head.............
Just cant remember the national anthem, some kind of drum roll...................it was some 2000yrs ago, though. ooops wrong thread :lol:
Andyfteeze

Return to land