Demo the old, build a new

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Demo the old, build a new

Postby vanda » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 pm

I wondering about demolition work, or more to the point the best course of action to take. I plan to start building mid to late next year, however we
have a current structure with form-work piles and concreted floors.

Should I demo the house and have them dig up all the foundation work as well, or can I just rip down the structure to ground level and let the people
who do the new foundation work worry about clearing the old foundation work?

Most of the demo work I will do myself, as I'm still young and am good at breaking things, but as for digging up foundations I dunno if I
could be bothered doing that solo

Also any ideas on costs for demo work?
vanda

Re: Demo the old, build a new

Postby geordie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 am

A twenty ton digger 7000=10,000 for a day will do the lot demo the house and the foundations depends on how much room you have and what you intend to do with the rubble remains before you get drastic get the wife to put the word out that anyone can help themselves,s to anything they can recycle the doors windows and roof are almost guaranteed to disappear as will anything else you would consider junk as long as it,s free
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby vanda » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks for the Geordie, it wouldn't take long to demo its only a 12 pile house. Some of the timber i will keep for personal project, as for the tin and other timber i'll give most
of it to the uncle who lives 4 houses down the road so he can build up his house if he wishes. The concrete rubble I was thinking of just using it as back fill as there will be a bit
of space to fill in once the house is built as I plan to have the house raised slightly higher than it is now, that is provided the rubble is small enough and not too much rebar exposed.

Also what are your thoughts on building retaining/perimeter wall first or building house foundations first? I'm inclined to do the house first mainly due to access and possible damage, but
at the same time once the house foundation work is up we would have the same issue, or could have them do all the concrete work at the same time.
vanda

Postby pattayapope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 am

I doubt your house has proper foundations it is probably made with precast columns set in the ground maybe a foot or so, as there is not a lot of weight it would not need proper foundations. If you could post a few pictures someone could maybe give you some good advice, before you start knocking down the old building make sure you have a proper plan, budget and necessary finances to finish the project.

Good luck with your project
pattayapope

Postby vanda » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Uploaded a pic of the house, I hope it worked. I couldn't agree more, plan, budget and finance are all very essential. If you can see the pic, you'll notice that it is VERY thai style. There are numerous cracks in the walls due to movement but doesn't seem to have sunk much. Most of the cracks developed after they built the upper level, or rather their attempt to build an upper level. Most of this structure I had nothing to do with except for providing some financial assistance, luckily not a great deal.
Still plenty of planning to do as well as stockpiling more finances, but at this stage I'd like to try and begin my project late 2014 after the rains have passed.
Attachments
old house.jpg
Old house
vanda

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 am

vanda wrote:I wondering about demolition work, or more to the point the best course of action to take. I plan to start building mid to late next year, however we
have a current structure with form-work piles and concreted floors.

Should I demo the house and have them dig up all the foundation work as well, or can I just rip down the structure to ground level and let the people
who do the new foundation work worry about clearing the old foundation work?

Most of the demo work I will do myself, as I'm still young and am good at breaking things, but as for digging up foundations I dunno if I
could be bothered doing that solo

Also any ideas on costs for demo work?

The house you show in the pic looks as if it's the same construction as the old one in "grand mums new house" build. http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3485
That one took 3 people half a day to take down. You might have a ring beam but probably not, if there is a concrete floor then it will be weak stuff probably with no reenforceing, the columns will be on the earth probably with no concrete round them" once you got the top floor off then you can push the walls down as they will not be fixed to the columns.

When SWMBO built grand mums house she used the old floor boards as form work for the ring beam. That saved a lot of money so you should keep any old boards and beems until you've finished you new build.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby vanda » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeh does look similar to the old house in that post. Using the floorboards as the ring beam form work is a good idea, I did see it somewhere about them renting out forms on a day rate somewhere, might have been in Freds build story, which I will have to do for the columns. However I must say I'm not a huge fan of the pink.... :-) The missus is though, to which I responded feel free to paint the girls bedroom pink, but that's it. They really love those bright vibrant colours, they've built a few resort style accommodations around here in Roi Et recently all in the pinks, canary yellows, blues, reds etc. I guess it helps their advertisement as you can't help but look. Cheers for the advice though, much appreciated.
vanda

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 pm

vanda wrote: However I must say I'm not a huge fan of the pink.... :-) The missus is though, to which I responded feel free to paint the girls bedroom pink, but that's it. They really love those bright vibrant colours,
However SWMBO said it's good for Grand mum but she doesn't want it on our house. :D
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:However SWMBO said it's good for Grand mum but she doesn't want it on our house.

So you say.
Roger Ramjet

Return to land