Stealing land

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Stealing land

Postby cherryveryberry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm

I need some help regarding stealing of land in thailand, It has to be said, that i have no clue about how all this works regarding land whatsoever, but since we're in a very tense situation, this is necessary. Me and my boyfriend are both half thai. My Boyfriend doesn't have a thai passport, but he thinks, that he has thai citizenship, he has never really been wanting to get any information about this, since we don't live in Thailand. He's mom has since he was a kid, been fixing stuff, and probably has gotten him a citizenship, now she's in no condition to take care of her self. He hasn't had anything with thailand to do before and has no bond to it really, me however has double citizenship so im holding two passports, one thai, i do speak thai, but he can't speak thai. He's mom has her entire life wanted her sons to have a good future, so she has been for decades investing in land all over thailand and it was meant to be given to her two sons, which her husband has no right in, since she has never trusted him so her sons has their name written on the documents, but now his mom is in a condition unable to take care of herself, since she three years ago got Alzheimer's, but before then never has been telling her sons about the lands so she never reached to give her sons the documents, when she still could remember. She doesnt remember anything and cant really speak. Now his (grandmother) wants all the land, and has taken his mom to consult the doctor while she was in thailand to get the doctor to issue a documentation saying his mom being unable to take care of herself, therefore she has gotten copies of the documents and now made herself have the power of attorney. some of the familymembers have given my boyfriend clues about whats going on down there, but we dont know who to trust at all, and it makes us in a bad position since we're here in europe, the documents all his mom have, are unfindable.
they have given us a warn, which says that if he doesnt get back within this month they're gonna take it, but they've sorta faken or changed the documents, so it's declaring in the land documents that his grandmother has the right to them and can sign those documents instead of the mother.
do you know how the law in thailand is, cause my bf has the original documents and the land is meant to him, but they're gonna take them. But we dont know what's going on really, we dont know if any of this is true, but it probably is, or it's some sort of way to manipulate us somehow, since we live here in europe, and havent had the biggest contact to thailand. we dont know what to do and how to stop them from taking it, or how it works, since my bf got the original documents and has the right to the land legally.

help help
cherryveryberry

Re: Stealing land

Postby Sunpax » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:10 pm

I think you need to go to "The land departement" here in Thailand of where is the land.... to see to who is belong !

You must take the big yellow paper : call the Chanote and go there...you can also go to the OR BoR Tor or Tessaban to make a survey of the land

you must take also the blue Tabien baan of your Mother in Law and Id card !

you say that your Mother in law has land all other Thailand . does mean you really need time to go in the different Land department !

I think you will need a doctor certificat and maybe a lawyer to make your mother in law under a gardienship !
Sunpax

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Well that is quite the story think you should be in contact with

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand and a Thai lawyer.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1 ... sport.html

So out of curiosity when was the last time your boy friend bothered to visit his Mother.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby cherryveryberry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm

thank you for the answer

his mother stays here with us in denmark, so we see her everyday, she lives in denmark.
cherryveryberry

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

cherryveryberry,
If your boyfriend has the original chanote (title to the land) in his name, he is the only one who can sign it over to anyone, no matter if they are "family".
The chanote (title to the land) will have a map of the plot of land drawn on it and you should have a blue book to say it is registered in his name, if his mother registered the land in his name. The Land Department where the land is located is the only authorised agency to change a chanote and they are meticulous about ownership. This has been tried many times before.
I would contact the Thai Ministry of Affairs as Bill suggested.
Be warned, Thai family members will, in most cases attempt anything to get hold of the land, including selling it illegally or using it as collateral against loans.
Roger Ramjet

Postby cherryveryberry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 pm

yeah, that's what we are afraid of they will

it's not only in his name, his mother is still the owner of it, but it says that it goes to them, probably when death.
cherryveryberry

Postby olavhome » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 am

Have you tried contact Thai Embassy in Copenhagen?
Maybe also check internet for some Thai/denmark falang internet site and ask for advice.
Maybe some have experienced same issues and can give advice.
olavhome

Postby cherryveryberry » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes, thank you, i will call them today, we are leaving for thailand next week to get all this fixed, but we need a translator, like a good one, otherwise i might aswell translate myself, and a lawyer, do anyone know where to find them?
cherryveryberry

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:17 am

good advice given by all but personally I would be making sure of his Thai citizenship and right to an ID card / passport without proof he is Thai he cannot own land here he is just another Farrang in which case I think he will have little success in challenging grandma,s power of attourney
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby olavhome » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Incidentally my wife told me yesterday that she been reading some info from Thai Embassy in Oslo.
Seemed that if the person had only thai id-card, they could have land.
Maybe that mean if a person has got a foreign passport but still have id-card can get land.
In Thailand not so many people have passports (at least in rural districts) so maybe thats the reason for the focus on id-card.
olavhome

Postby schuimpge » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Question is...how old or young are you both?
At the age of 18 you have to choose for a passport and the accompanying citizenship.
My son same, he has a Dutch and Thai passport, @ 18 years he has to choose and you loose one of the citizenships you are holding.
So if you both live in Denmark, on a Danish or other 'Farang' passport then pretty sure you are not holding a Thai Citizenship.

That comes then to Geordie's reply, you would have no claim on any land since you are not Thai.

Good luck either way.

Kind regards,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:09 pm

schuimpge wrote:Question is...how old or young are you both?
At the age of 18 you have to choose for a passport and the accompanying citizenship.
My son same, he has a Dutch and Thai passport, @ 18 years he has to choose and you loose one of the citizenships you are holding.
So if you both live in Denmark, on a Danish or other 'Farang' passport then pretty sure you are not holding a Thai Citizenship.

That comes then to Geordie's reply, you would have no claim on any land since you are not Thai.

Good luck either way.

Kind regards,
Luc

While what you say may be true for Dutch and Danish citizens it is not true for British. At the moment the UK has no problem with dual nationality and in fact Thailand also either permits it or turns a blind eye to it.

So you can be British and Thai.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby blueeyes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:30 am

Get a Thai attorney in Thailand to sort this out as soon as possible.Here is a link to some info that may give you an idea to land ownership laws.
http://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/l ... -1954.html
Good luck.
blueeyes

Postby blueeyes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 am

I do know from when we have traded and sold some of "our" land the process was interesting.First we had to make an appointment with the Gov. survey office to come out to survey the land.That took about 3 months.And do not even think about doing it if it is during the rainy season.No way do they wish to get muddy.The owners of all the property that touched ours had to be there.That was fun."How much give money we come?"When the survey is over everyone has to agree to the location of the post markers.More fun.
The Last property we where going to split in half for a trade for some other property became a problem.The local village had decided to build a dirt road next to the canal and "our" property.At a turn in the canal there was not enough room for the road so they just cut into "our" property to make the road.Luckly this had only happened a few months before so it was fresh in every ones mind.Well the Po Yai Ban had to be called out to the property since it was his villages road, to explain.An aggrement was made right then to an amount of money that the village would pay us for the TAKING of our land.That was a hard fought battle but in the end we got more then we expected.Not really fun in the middle of no where land with the sun beating down on us.Only in Thailand.
Then the survey crew will head to our home for a meal.I guess that was to say thank you for showing up and doing their job:) Later after a few days all owners of the property head to the local land office to sign the final official papers. Fun fun fun;)
blueeyes

Postby cherryveryberry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:42 pm

He's 22 and i'm 19, he only has danish passport and no thai ID, I got thai passport. thanks for the answer, we'll be leaving for thailand this wednesday.
cherryveryberry

Next

Return to land