Do you just landfill on top of soil?

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Do you just landfill on top of soil?

Postby Super8man » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:33 am

As the title says Do you just landfill on top of soil? We have made the decision to start building. The land needs filling about 1.2 m deep, see photo 5 in gallery it floods plus water runs from next door, but only after heavy rain.

My problem is two things, when we fill the water will not go anywhere upstream. All Tik says not my problem, up to them.
The other is do you move the soil as per UK and then fill or just fill on top?
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Re: Do you just landfill on top of soil?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:27 am

Super8man wrote:As the title says Do you just landfill on top of soil? We have made the decision to start building. The land needs filling about 1.2 m deep, see photo 5 in gallery it floods plus water runs from next door, but only after heavy rain.

My problem is two things, when we fill the water will not go anywhere upstream. All Tik says not my problem, up to them.
The other is do you move the soil as per UK and then fill or just fill on top?

It depends on what you are filling on. If the topsoil is good then take it off and replace it after. Ours wasn't so we just put it on top. Just make sure you compact after every layer if you want to build soon.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 am

[quote][/quote]Agree with STWW, save the top soil, scrape it of and stockplie it for later use, as it is hard to find and dam expensive to buy

pipoz
pipoz

Postby schuimpge » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Super8man wrote:it floods plus water runs from next door, but only after heavy rain.
My problem when we fill the water will not go anywhere upstream. All Tik says not my problem, up to them.

If I understand correct, water from your "upstream" neighbor will be a problem, as it passes your land to drain away, so better make sure it can pass.
When the water has to soak away, it would mean that you would get very wet, soggy land as well, so your garden will suffer.
Having water standing against your boundary wall will also cause erosion.
Cost of building a deep foundation for the wall to avoid collapse due to wet and weak underground will also be much higher.
One way to do that is to put a drain or ditch at the front, between the road and your property wall.
This will ensure you have better control of erosion and not get problems with your wall and land because of water being blocked from draining away.

I would discuss with the neighbor if possible. Likely he's never thought about it because the land you want to build was vacant anyway.
If he cooperates, you might be able to find a proper and lasting solution, where both benefit and it always helps to have a good neighbor.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:25 pm

All very hard to give the right advice with out seeing the actual land. As was said regarding the fill, if the soil is good which I would imagine it would be if an ex rice field in the past or just grazing land of some sort. Scrape the top off and put to one side for later, because you would be very lucky to be able to buy good soil for your garden later. With your land going to end up a lot higher than your neighbour it would mean quite a lot of water would be draining off onto his land or others. How your neighbours feel about that would be open to discussion ,but water has to flow some where or just lay there soaking and evaporating. Adequate drains might be advisable for when ever there is excessive water around, especially if the land is flood prone in the past.My land (4 and a half rei) has been filled level with road, but the road has a continuous 2mt deep ditch on each side so with a concrete pipe under my fill at my part that bridges the ditch , all water ends up draining away there or into my other neighbours dam. As other's posted, it depends on how long before you start your build, what sort of foundations , if you are putting down piles it will not matter so much about the fill being compacted ,other wise it will.
Mike Judd

Postby Super8man » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 am

The bit of land we would be building on is at the rear of the existing house. I don't think it was ever a rice field, just the potato things, sweet corn and pineapples while I have been going.

The land is here http://goo.gl/maps/V7LJt behind the blue roofed house. The area with trees is not owned by us. The fill will go about to where the trees finish I think.

I think the soli is quite good stuff so I would like to save it for the garden later, but the wife knows everything no problem I would also put a 12" pipe under so the water runs through.

The build would be over about 3 years so should settle OK.

We are thinking of 5 bedrooms 2 story house.
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Return to land