Any restrictions with a chanote?

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Any restrictions with a chanote?

Postby Dezure » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:56 am

In 2007 I was fortunate enough to buy 1 Rai of land through my Thai company 3 kilometers from Black Mountain golf course and 5 kilometers from downtown Hua Hin in an increasingly popular location called Hin Lek Fai which I have done nothing with since except pay the annual company tax. My wife is Thai but we have been living in the UK since 2003 and only visit occasionally these days the last time being 2011. I now feel the time is right to develop the land. Both electric and mains water are available and a tarmac road runs down one side which was paid for by a nearby development of high standard, desirable properties built in 2008. I am still open to what type of property to build or whether to build more than one property. I have been advised by a local developer to get a boundary survey before I start and once this is done get the land properly measured and levelled off. Then start thinking about my options regards what to build. With all this in mind I’d like to know if there are any restrictions on how many stories I can build? Also, are there any specific laws regards how far from the road a building should be set back and whether there needs to be a minimum distance between the building and perimeter walls? My title deed is a Chanote. I’m also introducing myself in a long winded sort of way as I will probably be asking a few questions on here over the next few months! Many thanks in advance, Nick Dezure.
Dezure

Re: Any restrictions with a chanote?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:36 am

Dezure,
Nick, there are restrictions, which are mostly ignored (TIT), an example is the area we built in Bang Bua Thong which is zoned as residential, however, they do allow warehouses to be built in a residential area, which is exactly why we built there. If you go to your Or Bor Tor or Tessaban engineering department they will tell you the restrictions on what you can build, how high it can be built and what the purposes of the building should be. They'll also advise on the depth that the piles should be driven/bored for the height of the house as it varies all over Thailand. I built a two storied house that has approval to have another floor added. To get that approval all I did was submit plans for a flat concrete roof, with a floor to be added maybe, possibly, perhaps.
Surveys are carried out by the Land Department that will place concrete markers in, but you can also have a qualified surveyor check later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Dezure » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Roger, after reading your reply I realised we must have already had the boundary survey done as there are red concrete posts already marking out the land. I spoke to my wife and she confirmed this so I am not sure why the developer advised this (I thought he had seen photos of the land which showed the red concrete posts). This has saved me extra unnecessary work so thank you. The only issue is one of the posts has been knocked over (we suspect by a truck accessing the development nearby when it was being built) so need to get that replaced. I will contact the Or Bor Tor or Tessaban engineering department to find out the other info, thanks. What I will be building will definitely b residential, I’m just not sure if it will be a bungalow, house or condo. Once I have found out all the things you mentioned and I come up with building plans presumably they need to be approved by the Or Bor Tor too?
Dezure

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 am

Dezure wrote:Once I have found out all the things you mentioned and I come up with building plans presumably they need to be approved by the Or Bor Tor too?

That's the route I went. I started at the Tessaban but found out the Or Bor Tor was the actual legal approving authority (they stamp every page of the plans) and their engineer was very helpful in finding the correct type of engineer and architect to sign off on the plans (it cost me a little), but I tried to keep it all legal because the house has a big footprint and I'd hate to see it destroyed in a few years. The final approval cost is just under 200 baht, it's the engineers and architects signatures (with photos and registration numbers) that cost the money.
I also found that the Or Bor Tor engineer was a very helpful source of information and most of the time look forward to getting out of the office.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am

I think the red post is there to show the approximate location of the proper marking pin might be a good idea to have a look around them.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.
pin.JPG
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:41 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I think the red post is there to show the approximate location of the proper marking pin might be a good idea to have a look around them.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

We had ours surveyed a couple of years back and the engineer said round pins [as shown in previous post] denote chanote boundaries. Anything square, with red markings or not, are Irrigation dept, roads dept, or lesser category title markings. Slightly amused me that they just dug a small hole ... stuck the pin [only about 12" long] in it and kicked the dirt back ... lives have been lost in disputes over property boundaries :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Dezure » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Ours are definitely the taller but lesser official marker posts as can be seen from the photo. But it still looks as though I am OK to skip the boundary survey and go ahead with getting the land properly measured by someone as they should find the chanote posts in the vicinity of those red posts! Thanks again for the help, it's amazing how useful I am finding this forum already! Best regards, Nick.
Dezure

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am

Dezure wrote:
Ours are definitely the taller but lesser official marker posts as can be seen from the photo. But it still looks as though I am OK to skip the boundary survey and go ahead with getting the land properly measured by someone as they should find the chanote posts in the vicinity of those red posts! Thanks again for the help, it's amazing how useful I am finding this forum already! Best regards, Nick.

Be prepared for quite a search as the small pins are only about 3" in diameter with the top often almost at ground level ... and depending on what your rather large :shock: posts actually designate the pins may be nowhere near them! Looks like you could do with the guys with the brush cutters in first :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby splitlid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

I went to your land today there is a house next to it and chanote markers next to the red posts. if this is your land?
Attachments
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG
splitlid

Postby thisisit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Out in the woods you sometimes get away with just showing them 3D renderings of what you plan to build. It is often up to the zoning what buildings are allowed (and that is often ignored).
thisisit

Postby blueeyes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:21 am

Can not answer the op question but....Here is a photo of a marker out of place.I asked the wife why is it sitting next to the friends house?Answer oh it is OK they know where it goes.Where? It is one of the markers for their land which is about 5K away from here.
Get the official survey so you will not have any problems in the future.
Land Marker.jpg
blueeyes

Return to land