Levelling

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Levelling

Postby vonked » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Goodday
I have a 1.1 Rai property in Buriram where I want to build a new house. Right now we are removing some trees. The property has a slight slope, so we need to fill it up (I guess).
The property is located between two other houses. On the front side there is a small village-road. I don't have any idea what the level should be. Should it be the same level as the road?

Thanks , Ed
vonked

Re: Levelling

Postby fredlk » Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm

vonked wrote:The property has a slight slope, so we need to fill it up (I guess).

Not necessarily.
vonked wrote:I don't have any idea what the level should be. Should it be the same level as the road?

If you are going to fill then do it definitely higher than the road. Roads are usually the path of floodwater during heavy rain.
fredlk

Postby vonked » Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks fredlk

Forgot to tell that there is a small ditch (50 cm deep and 50 cm wide) between the road and the property.
So rainwater or flood can go easy I assume. Another worry is the trucks who have to cross this little ditch.
Water has to pass at all times in this ditch.
The old crossover has to go because it is in the wrong location and also not strong enough to carry the heavy soil filled trucks.
Any recommendation what I sollid construction I should build in the ditch?
vonked

Postby fredlk » Fri May 17, 2013 1:57 pm

vonked wrote:there is a small ditch (50 cm deep and 50 cm wide) between the road and the property.
So rainwater or flood can go easy I assume.

It might not be enough if there's serious flooding and one should rather play it safe.
vonked wrote:Any recommendation what I sollid construction I should build in the ditch?

If you watch my build - http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698 - then you will see starting today that I am tackling this very same problem. My stormwater drain is about 50 by 50 centimetres and certainly not enough to hold the heavy rain but it needs to be kept open so we're putting in a large diameter concrete pipe across the driveway and we'll be covering it with concrete.
fredlk

Postby vonked » Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 am

I have a simular situation like this. My ditch is less wide than this one. The pipe is about the same.
I have to replace the old pipe by a new one, strong enough to carry the trucks filled with dirt.
I wonder if there are any stronger ones available then this one in the picture.

Regards
Attachments
pic.jpg
vonked

Postby fredlk » Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 am

vonked wrote:I have to replace the old pipe by a new one, strong enough to carry the trucks filled with dirt.

It's not the pipe that takes the weight, but a part of its surface, partly the gravel you cover it with and partly the concrete plank or fill on top of that.
vonked wrote:I wonder if there are any stronger ones available then this one in the picture.

I doubt it. When they built a new road on my hill they put those underneath the intersections and then covered them with at least 20 to 50 centimetres of soil, gravel and some concrete.
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 pm

i think you will find that there is a standard size for under driveways , and with a reasonable cover of dirt should be O.K. for most vehicle traffic. Just make sure they compact the fill around them in the beginning as they can come apart and then you have your fill washing down the gap continually as I did. I then had to cover the gap with iron and put a bit of left over concrete on top then back fill again. Another instance of the result of not being on site 100% of the time.?
DSCN5192.JPG
Finished cross over. but had several holes appear along the line of the pipe where they came apart.
Mike Judd

Postby vonked » Sat May 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks fredlk and mike for your helpfull input.
vonked

Postby splitlid » Sat May 18, 2013 6:46 pm

There are 2 type of concrete drain rings available here. One is for traffic and is thicker than the other.
splitlid

Postby dozer » Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 pm

The stronger ones have rebar reinforcement built into them (บ ล ส).
dozer
Site Admin

Postby vonked » Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks dozer
vonked

Postby vonked » Wed May 22, 2013 7:45 am

Is there a way how to make a rough calculation how much fill dirt I have to put on a 1.1 Rai plot with a slight slope? I don't have any fancy land meter equipment.
vonked

Postby BKKBILL » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 am

vonked wrote:Is there a way how to make a rough calculation how much fill dirt I have to put on a 1.1 Rai plot with a slight slope? I don't have any fancy land meter equipment.

Google will bring up over 1,000,000 hits. Here's one.

http://www.filldirtcalculator.com/
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby vonked » Wed May 22, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks BKKBILL

Yes, this is what I was looking for.
As a non-native speaker it is sometimes difficult to find my required information.
vonked

Postby william » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 am

AS you asked the question above in my opinion you should build a little higher than the road but keep in your mind you should to arrange the water drainage system. You should also consult fro an architect.
<Please tell us where you gained your knowledge of such matters ... have you always lived in Pakistan or are you originally from Thailand? - mod>
william

Next

Return to land