Land Filling Required??

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Land Filling Required??

Postby bjohn34 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 am

I am planning to build on a site where the house will sit on the highest point with no drainage or ground water issues. The property has not been farmed other than a few fruit trees scattered around.

What are the reasons, if any, for adding fill dirt to the building area rather then just leveling and building on the existing soil foundation? Any Thai peculiarities?

thanks
bjohn34

Re: Land Filling Required??

Postby thailazer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

bjohn.... You are lucky if you can build completely on "undisturbed soil" as you will not have as many settling issues over time. (Google that term and you will find lots of info on footings and foundations.) As long as you are happy with your house elevation, bringing in more dirt is of no advantage.

We built up our house pad about a meter and let it settle almost two years. Footings went down two meters and then back filled. We spent two days during the build pumping water in through a 3 inch hose to get just the back fill to settle well. We also flooded the sand that was brought in prior to pouring the ground floor.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 am

bjohn34,
I asked myself the same question over and over again: why raise the land? Why not raise the house (which I did). And then after the floods last year I knew instantly why people had raised the land and built their house on top of it. Little islands of dry land, with an untouched house, surrounded by acres of water, and as we chugged past the islands in a sea of water with their cars and possessions high and dry, I thought; there's long term planning if I ever saw it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby LivinLOS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 am

I too am faced with this question..

We have a 5 rai plot, which was specifically chosen as it was 'garden land' not riceland and in some sort of rolling hills area, tho this is a very flat parcel. The area doesnt flood (the large local floods of 2011 clearly showed that) and the water table is a long long way from being any where near the land height. This is also undisturbed land and should be as settled as land can be.

During to worst of the monsoon months, the land does have some surface water. Its maybe a bit mushy.. To me this is something where I would want to look at the drainage. Logically simply raising the plot while leaving it level does not clear surface water. All I would do is spend a large sum to make the surface water sit higher up during intense rain months. I also think the 'mushyness' that the land got during the 2011 flood was in part due to the land not being cleared and overgrown, grasses, and a thicket of plant life holding the water at surface level.

Two or three (non building expert) Thais have mentioned raising the land prior to building. None of the other properties around the area seem to have needed or used fill and at this point I am starting to think Thais just say 'raise the land' as a default answer to water issues ??

Is it a knee jerk Thai advice to do so ??

I would have thought some work with drainage channels on the property making use of a (tiny) height differential I have, and drainage to and around the boundary, would be a far smarter way to tackle surface water. Its not an issue I am massively worried about at this point but I am surprised the 'raise the land' suggestions have even been stated.
LivinLOS

Postby geordie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 am

LivinLOS wrote:I too am faced with this question..

We have a 5 rai plot, which was specifically chosen as it was 'garden land' not riceland and in some sort of rolling hills area, tho this is a very flat parcel. The area doesnt flood (the large local floods of 2011 clearly showed that) and the water table is a long long way from being any where near the land height. This is also undisturbed land and should be as settled as land can be.

During to worst of the monsoon months, the land does have some surface water. Its maybe a bit mushy.. To me this is something where I would want to look at the drainage. Logically simply raising the plot while leaving it level does not clear surface water. All I would do is spend a large sum to make the surface water sit higher up during intense rain months. I also think the 'mushyness' that the land got during the 2011 flood was in part due to the land not being cleared and overgrown, grasses, and a thicket of plant life holding the water at surface level.

Two or three (non building expert) Thais have mentioned raising the land prior to building. None of the other properties around the area seem to have needed or used fill and at this point I am starting to think Thais just say 'raise the land' as a default answer to water issues ??

Is it a knee jerk Thai advice to do so ??

I would have thought some work with drainage channels on the property making use of a (tiny) height differential I have, and drainage to and around the boundary, would be a far smarter way to tackle surface water. Its not an issue I am massively worried about at this point but I am surprised the 'raise the land' suggestions have even been stated.

I have to agree the raise the land issue is becoming part of the build here i think because they built wooden houses on stilts now with concrete they are doing the same the land fill replacing the stilts but even in a known flood zone do you need to raise more than enough to protect your property ?? by property i mean house garage workshop pool and poolhouse if you are lucky enough to have them i think i would feel a bit uncomfortable pruning my trees and cutting the grass on my little island whilst my thai neighbours were living as refugees It all has consequence the MIL neighbours filled to 1.5 meters causing her to flood ?? we raised her land/house 1 meter enough to push the problem a little further down the road but the trend stops there the neighbours have not got the money to raise the land and build a new house ? I feel better knowing the MIL will stay dry but i don,t feel particularly good about what i have done to the neighbours
Scale that up to two three four or five Rai and that is a lot of water displaced it may well have made a difference to a few people who can ill afford to lose everything RR and a few other forum members suffered the flooding around here last year i had it lapping at the door not too much of an issue i was comfortable and dry in uk but driving around the area and seeing the scale of the floods clearly defined watermarks/lines on bridges posts walls The sheer size of the area affected maybe we should just go back to stilt,s rather than compound the problem
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby wazza » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:24 am

If your land is high and dry there is certainly no reason to raise your land, only reason is if you are below flood levels.
My house in phuket is near base of hills and we excavated at the back and raised slightly at front to keep the house raised only 200mm from surrounding land to ensure drainage
wazza

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Thai's also like to "build to impress" thai version of "keeping up with the John's"
So they will raise it up even if not needed. Keep in mind it is a flood defence too.
Makmak456

Return to land