Klong Advice

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Klong Advice

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:40 am

Hi chaps,

My first post here and I'm already poncing for advice, sorry :roll:

I've recently bought some land in Chiang Rai that's bordered on two sides by a klong (my land is on the right in both pictures). The in-laws reckon over time the land will be eroded by the klong so I want to protect the 'sides' in some way that in future could support a fence/wall.

I'm sure many of you must have faced similar issues with a Klong and I wonder what ways you tackled them.

Many thanks in advance.

Luke

Front left

Rear
tangaroa67

Re: Klong Advice

Postby trader » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 am

hi luke welcome :D

never done a klong :lol:

or saw how it is done

but have seen the finished article :D

the thais spear huge stakes into the klong which will create a space between the upper level(top of your land) and the klong

they then place sandbags in the space created which will give you a wall

the klongs that i have seen have done this way is where the ground is eroding and eventually taking the small soi away during rainy season when the klongs are running at full throttle and generally on a curve

perhaps their are other avenues..just looking at your klongs is this a must??

where you buy land such as yours(with klongs ) flooding is imminent with the obvious dangers involved make sure you do a dirt fill so that your raised land is at least one metre above the top of the klong and possibly more
on a another note hasnt c/rai grown in the last few yrs :D nice quite spot know it very well

hope i have been of help :) good luck :)
trader

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:48 am

One natural and inexpensive way of controlling general erosion is to plant Vetiver grass along the banks http://www.google.co.th/search?q=vetive ... channel=np this is highly recommended and in some areas is available free under The King's Project - elsewhere it's very cheap and widely available. The roots will go down at least two metres and once established it will even hold hillsides in place during severe storm periods.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby trader » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:09 am

trader wrote:
perhaps their are other avenues..

mgv12 your find is a very interesting one :D

never seen one in the far north of the country but in saying that never had a reason to look for it :)

have you seen one? :)
trader

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:38 am

trader wrote:
never seen one in the far north of the country but in saying that never had a reason to look for it :)

As the saying goes it's 'Hidden in plain sight' as it looks very much like Lemon Grass or some other wild grasses that it doesn't stand out.

Vetiver.jpg

HM is credited with it's introduction and widespread use in LOS

http://www.eugenegoesthailand.com/?p=9285

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby trader » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:08 am

trader wrote:
the thais spear huge stakes

by the way they are bamboo stakes :)

yes mgv12 many thks for that :D

maybe a good soloution and a viable one at that :)

perhaps i become a ostrich when it comes to klongs (past experiences) :lol:
trader

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Wow, thanks guys (and MGV12 in particular)!

That looks like an extremely elegant solution. Having done some googling, it would seem doubly useful as the oils contained in the roots are repellent to mosquitoes (another concern of mine). If it deterred mosquitoes from reproducing in the klong, that might be reason enough to use it :D

Best planted at the start of the rainy season.
tangaroa67

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 pm

trader wrote:where you buy land such as yours(with klongs ) flooding is imminent with the obvious dangers involved make sure you do a dirt fill so that your raised land is at least one metre above the top of the klong and possibly more

Hi trader,

I share your concern. It's not obvious from those photos, but the land has already been filled to the level of the road with some fairly low quality fill. I intend to raise it another 750mm or so with some good quality red earth, and whilst a house design has not yet been finalised, it's likely to sit on 'stilts' much as the Farnsworth House does.
tangaroa67

Postby trader » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:36 pm

thks tangeroa :D

yes i noticed that your next door neighbours plot was substantially lower then yours :)

pics often deceive :lol: so no call from me :lol:

good work on the fill :) for the future one :) do not let costs deter you from securing a safe dry pad :) but the stilts will be a huge plus :D

you sure seem to have a game plan in mind :D

from my own experiences articulate planning and good detail is a strong foundation to come out a winner doing a build in thailand (robts mae on country home is a testimony to my comments) :)

how big is your plot :?:
trader

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:34 pm

trader wrote:how big is your plot :?:

Two rai, situated about four clicks NNW of the old clock tower.
tangaroa67

Postby trader » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 am

nice size 2 rai :D should be able to give u good privacy and at the same time easier to maintain then a larger plot :D

good luck for the future :D
trader

Return to land