Price quote for clearing land

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price quote for clearing land

Postby patekatek » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:11 pm

We went to our land yesterday to talk to a guy that we were referred to for possibly building for us. He visited our 34 rai with us and we talked about clearing the hundreds, if not thousands, of nuisance trees off the land. He initially discussed a 250,000 baht price and when he didn't get any type of response he looked around some more and said he could do it for 150,000 baht. He told my wife that he would remove all the junk trees, dig the roots, and haul everything away. This is for the entire 34 rai. Most all the trees are the ones that grow really fast and produce the millions of brown seeds that are a couple inches long. I was told there is really no value for these trees as a marketable product.
Although the people we bought the land from are clearing it, they are just cutting the trees down close to the ground and hauling them away and are not digging out the roots. The guy we met with told us the trees should not be cut close to the ground and rather should be left a meter high so that removing them with a tractor or other equipment would be easier. He said it would take at least a week for his crew to clear it all out.

Too good to be true, or a fair deal?

We could continue letting the family remove the stuff since it was part of the deal and pay to have the stumps and roots dug as necessary later. Any suggestions?

We will most likely not be using this person to build. I think his expertise is better suited to working the land.
patekatek

Re: Price quote for clearing land

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:19 pm

He is right about leaving a meter on if not more depends on size that way you can use the tree itself as a lever to pull out the root
The price still looks high but pricing is not a strongpoint with me i am in uk things change even area to area the prices can be vastly different
before you rush in and raze everything to the ground what are you doing with the land next year and the year after it looks a tad big for a garden
personally i would clear it AS REQUIRED if the trees are causing a problem remove them
but you will have a constant battle because every year you will have new growth of some sort
maybe leave it semi wild and let the locals graze their buffalo
the nusance trees and weeds are preventing you living in a dustbowl as well as the oxigen they contribute
If the family you bought from is clearing the trees voluntary they will be selling them ????
Let them continue if you wish but you are fighting nature
The money you save at this point could be better used on a wall around what will be your maintained garden
You could put some posts and a single strand of wire around the whole plot to establish ownership at the same time letting some gaps for the locals to access time they graze it
and help themselves to some firewood it could keep the growth down free
If you sell some plots later clear as you go it puts me off completely when i see several rai of dirt staked out for development
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby patekatek » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Geordie.......thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards having the family continue clearing but leave the stumps higher for easier removal in the future. I agree that removing as necessary sounds practical but leaving the seed producing varmints only plants more problems in the future. Right?

We are fortunate that there already is a barbed wire fence on three sides of the property. Cement posts and three strands of wire. We will have to add something to the road side of the property once we start building activity later this year or early next year. We return to Minnesota in three days providing there is still an airport in Japan. I feel real badly for these pour souls. What a hole they have to dig themselves out of.
patekatek

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 pm

I have to warn you this is my own opinion :)
twice i have taken on abandoned land and restored it to garden
like yourself the issue was attacked with a large digger and an equally large seive
Trees were removed as were stumps and bushes and weeds burning it wherever possible
afterthe weeds ect were removed the soil was dug to 150mm and put through the seive then levelled out again and left one peice i did nothing with for two years after the levelling and what can apear in two years from bare dirt is amazing two mtr high brambles over half the land 600mm was average for the grass that grew and i must of had 30-40 2-3mtr suckers off trees that were removed or seeds that had been deposited
the other land my current home fitted the above description when i bought it and i followed the same procedure clearing back to dirt then planted grass/turf over it the continuous cutting the grass killed off the odd weed/bramble that had survived
the point i am trying to make is you either do it forever or leave it because if you clear it back to dirt and do not maintain it pretty soon it will look as it does now
Let the familly continue to harvest for charcoal but insist they leave 3-4ft so when you do want to clear a section completely you can push the roots out and grind the rest or burn it
the options are simple give it an expensive overhaul and leave it = money down the pan
option two as above followed by costly maintainance a couple of times a year or loose the money spent on initial overhaul
or you could look at a use for the land my sister in law grows eucalyptus as a cash crop still maintaining but at least a return

or consider the folowing for clearing and making money bearing in mind that the pigs may end up getting stolen if allowed to roam

Nature can help a mate of mine restored in six months six acres or woodland and turned it into parkland with grass under the trees instead of brushwood and weeds
He did it the easy way he put pigs on it they eat anything and everything including roots and seeds all that was left was wait for winter to wash the mess down that they deposited remove a few large rocks and fallen trees and now it is easy to maintain with a small tractor doing the cutting 2-3 times a year
he built a large pen and moved it when they were done with it an area at a time they will eat branches off trees to a couple of mtrs allowing light in under the trees for better growth
The problem is convincing thais to allow pigs to graze in the first place my wife could not beleive pigs wandering in fields and had never believed in wild boar and from a farming family :?: they think that pigs are going to stand in the sun and die because they are too stupid to go into shade
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby patekatek » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:20 am

Nice feedback. I will have the old owners continue clearing and leave high stumps for easier removal later. Since I do intend to sell some of the land later, you have convinced me that it is a waste of money to clear now and then again, and again, and again.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Don
patekatek

Postby pattayapope » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

Totaly agree with Geordies remarks, I mentioned in the other thread on the land purchase it would be costly to maintain. We have 4 1/2 rai in Kanchanaburi and had a similar situation with the same mentioned trees, it cost us 8000 baht to clear with 5 workers and a tractor and took two days. So I think your man would have made a handsome profit, so good decision to keep as is for now.
pattayapope

Postby patekatek » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 am

Thanks, gentlemen, for your feedback. What I will do is have enough cleared for where we will plant the house (I had to put in a little pun here) and wait until I have a clear path (another pun) as to what I will do with the rest of the property. My wife wants to build a few rental units so at least I know that I have to reserve enough space for this future effort.
patekatek

Postby patekatek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

Well, it has been quite some time since the last information exchange. I just picked up my wife in Minneapolis, MN. on her return from Thailand. I sent her back over there after I purchased the 34 rai of land in Kaeng Krachan to help ensure the land got cleared and have her work with the architect on the plans in addition to getting power to the land and check about connecting to the government water running if front of the property. Here are some photos of the land. The one photo with the guy and the trees should give you an idea of the number of the nuisance trees that were everywhere on the land. The other two photos show the west direction of the land and the eastern view as well following the clearing of the land. It's difficult getting a single photo of the whole 34 rai.

The plans have been completed and we had a bank officer from Phetchaburi come out to view the land and get his appraisal in order to obtain a mortgage. It went really well and my wife told me he was very impressed with the land and the views. It sounds like a loan for the house should not be a problem and an additional loan for my wife to have a small boutique resort would not be a problem either.

patekatek

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 am

patekatek wrote:

The plans have been completed and we had a bank officer from Phetchaburi come out to view the land and get his appraisal in order to obtain a mortgage. It went really well and my wife told me he was very impressed with the land and the views. It sounds like a loan for the house should not be a problem and an additional loan for my wife to have a small boutique resort would not be a problem either.

All looks really good from the pics ... as you say always looks better with the naked eye.

Out of interest which bank did you approach and have they quoted a rate yet?

Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby patekatek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the land.

Krung Thai is the bank and my wife said it was a 6% rate quote, or close to 6% for a 20 year loan.

Chok Dee back at ya.

don
patekatek

Return to land