How to find the right piece of land

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

How to find the right piece of land

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:01 pm

kknaj wrote:We are looking at buying some land nearby that is about 50cm below road level

I assume you are getting land that is near other houses, how are you selecting the area where to buy, for example if the neighbors houses are all worth 1 mill, then you aim for a house at the upper end of that? If many neighbors are the stilts wooden houses for about 500,000 would you still build a 1 mill house?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: How to find the right piece of land

Postby kknaj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Its a combination of many things, easy access, near city, markets, schools, decent houses nearby minimum criminality in the area. As well as a "feeling" how does the area feel? People will sense an area before they look too much at it.

The area has some old big houses with 3m high walls, it has one new nice looking double storey house. Half of the land has 2 unused shacks opposite on very small plots with 1 guy ready to sell and the other owner unknown. There is a bit too much vegetation in some parts of the street but can be easily cleaned up. The whole street needs to be "developed" so building multiple new houses on the street can turn it all around. Its a bit of a gamble... but so was the last house. Now that area of the last house is suddenly prime real estate.

People like being near new and clean houses it uplifts the whole street. Conversely an area being held down be degraded houses and shacks is going to drag the area down or hold it down. And if the inhabitants are as degraded as their houses then it further makes the area "uninviting" So you have to look at the houses AND the people.
kknaj

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:32 am

kknaj wrote:Its a combination of many things, easy access, near city, markets, schools, decent houses nearby minimum criminality in the area. As well as a "feeling" how does the area feel? People will sense an area before they look too much at it.

Ok pretty logical stuff - How many moo-bahns are there around in KK? It seems in CM, there are lots and lots, with new ones being developed, the houses in non moo-bahn streets are generally very adhoc, you have the occasional western style mansion, the thai wooden stilts houses, a few corrugated metal sheds, a few el-cheapo looking pink/light blue/green houses, etc, its hard to find a street which has "a look or feel", unless of course inside a moo-bahn where everything is cookie cutter style.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:09 am

In Thailand you are never sure who your neighbours will be and so there is never really a perfect piece of land unless it's 3 Rai or more and even then your neighbours might be farmers who love to burn their fields between crops.
When I looked for land I looked first for the area and then for the 'type' of neighbours because I didn't want to be in a necessarily Farang community. I wanted it to be more Thai if possible and mixed if necessary.
Where I am is still mostly empty and most of the plots are still owned by Navy personnel and a few were sold off by the bank to a couple of Farang / Thai families and 3 to a Thai who thought he might make a big profit at some time in the future. In the meantime the land is used by farmers who sometimes spend the night on the land and up the road there is what looks like somebody is squatting on the land and has built a cinderblock house on it.
Because I am in the second of the big houses being built I think that the big houses will set the tone of the community and not the farmers or the squatters. One of the owners has built a small wooden house on stilts which looks like it will be a weekend home.
And if all else fails we build our high walls to mark our territory much like a lion or cat does by urinating on it. :lol:
fredlk

Return to land