Levelling or 'flattening" previously furrowed land

separate topics on:- measurement, puchasing, registration - Land filling, compacting and levelling - drainage and
anything else related to raw land!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Levelling or 'flattening" previously furrowed land

Postby koastal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,
Our block is actually very level overall and has healthy grass all over it . Over however many years its surface has been left very uneven due to being ploughed for corn etc. I want the kids to be able to run around and ride bikes without twisting an ankle etc so what I am trying to figure out is the best way of getting it nice and flat. Doesn't have to be perfect. There are two options as I see it ;

a) Dump some topsoil and spread it out with a small dozer some time before rainy season so when the rains come, so to does the grass come back. I think dirt here is about $15 for 7m2 truck.

or

b) Skip the tip soil and just back-blade the block with the small dozer. Although I think this would rip up the block and potentially make things worse ?

My neighbors said they could do it with their tractor or possibly ox ( the hand held thingies ) but all they seem to do is plough up the top soil leaving clods :?: :?:

Anyways,

Whaddya reckin ?
koastal

Re: Levelling or 'flattening" previously furrowed land

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:53 pm

koastal,
Having ploughed a few thousand acres, quite a number of times, and having had a rather large Massey Ferguson tractor with both a front and back blade, I can tell you with quite a little authority that your first option (a) is exactly what I would do. The three point linkage on a tractor is not designed for what you want and need. Get the dozer to run over the furrows and flatten them before spreading the topsoil.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Levelling or 'flattening" previously furrowed land

Postby kknaj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Yes, Makes sense to me ;) flatten it out a bit with the tractor then get some more dirt on top should do the trick nicely.
kknaj

Return to land