climate considerations

General feedback on the blog, forum or main site. Gripes or kudos, put them here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

climate considerations

Post by dozer »

feedback Bruce M
Great site. As a person who was transferred many times and
built houses in various climates around the USA; as well as
living in Asia, I really enjoyed going over the site and construction details. It was really valuable as my family and I have been exploring going to live most of the year in a house on a lake in New England and looking for a spot in Asia to spend our winters. We have lived in semi-tropical and tropical climes for the last decade and know we would not enjoy a full New England winter.

I spent this summer finishing a project to add a loft and another bedroom to a cabin that we turned into a house a decade ago. The technology just reached the point that allowed us to cross a 7 meter+ span without other support needed for the loft. A problem in this project is getting in the summer breezes and keeping out winter cold that reaches -20C.
dozer
Site Admin

climate

Post by dozer »

Interesting about the 7 meter span, would like to get details. Yes, one of the definite advantages to building here is the temperature only gets extreme on one side, hot!
John

Re: climate

Post by John »

dozer wrote:Interesting about the 7 meter span, would like to get details. Yes, one of the definite advantages to building here is the temperature only gets extreme on one side, hot!
Pre-stressed floor beams will allow a floor span of up to 10M depending on the load/use. Thailand has pre-stressed stuff available but its not caught on in house construction like it has in Europe.