Dead links and dated prices...

General feedback on the blog, forum or main site. Gripes or kudos, put them here.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dolly llama

Dead links and dated prices...

Post by dolly llama »

I just joined coolthaihouse yesterday and read all 44 topics in the roofing forum. Very good info but much of it is dated and almost none of the links (to manufacturers/distributors etc) work. Very frustrating...

It would be great if the current prices for material were published and the links were updated. If this information is located elsewhere on the site could someone please tell me where...
jazzman

Re: Dead links and dated prices...

Post by jazzman »

You may have noticed that this is a totally privately funded non-commercial site; all the contributions come from the owner and members when they have time. Many prices HAVE been updated very recently. Members will certainly welcome any updates you care to research and add, and you may also like to help by pointing out which of those links are no longer active. To find other topics of interest, there is a search facility for the site.
Thanks.
dolly llama

Post by dolly llama »

I've spent the weekend reading pretty much the whole website and have found only random bits of current prices for materials. Like this example which is two years old :

jazzman on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:22 am
This thread originally appeared under Material Prices. If you are joining it from there, you can skip the introduction.
CPAC: All you need to know about it and were too afraid to ask.
You may like to print this article out, so get your printer ready.

Where and how to buy.
Concrete is one of the materials you will spend most money on so it's really worth looking into the options. Here you have up-to-date info on prices and where to buy. For what to use for which jobs, other posters have provided adequate information, do please check it out.

And the links are particularly frustrating. I tried most every one and estimate maybe 15%-20% work. That's being generous too...

I'm sure this site has helped many and there doesn't seem to be anything similar (that I can find, anyway) out there. Just wish what updates there are would be consolidated in one area so an all-weekend readathon wasn't necessary.

edit> I've just found that this entry was edited 11 times with the last date 1st July 2008. Now that's more like it...
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

gidday dolly..its the thaiflyfrom mae rim...one can understand your frustrations..but i assure you that c.t.h. has certainly come a long way in a very short space of time..in particular the last couple of years..we have a band of very intellegient members who for FREE..give there time.. and experience..to tackle any questions posted on the board..and on most occassions..they come with a answer or a soulotion to the problems being asked...... i wish to point out..that THE GREAT JAZZMAN...THE MIGHTY APPERTLY.. AND THE VERY DILENGIENT C.N.X. BUILDING STORYS. have a wealth of info for members..to get themselves..in a position.to be aware of the pitfalls..of building in thailand...and be a winner as well...dolly throw up.any question and i assure you that a member will do his best to give you a answer...yes there maybe a few problems..on c.t.h. as you have pointed out..but on the whole it is a very informative board..and at times a very lively one as well..and i feel 2009 it will only get better.. ITS A WELCOME DOLLY GIDDAY TO ALL...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

dolly llama wrote:...particularly frustrating
Dolly Llama, I think ThaiFly is being very generous with his reply. By joining this board in a more friendly manner, you may find people more disposed to answering any future questions you may have.
dolly llama

Post by dolly llama »

I thought I did join in a friendly manner. If you think otherwise my apologies. But I wonder if you have truly tried the links lately? I have and, in all honesty, most of them are dead...
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Hi Dolly Llama,
Sadly, some of the members who posted those dead links are dead too. You are probably new to Internet forums so I can understand your frustration.
Non-commercial discussion boards are all about building communities of people who share their experiences to help each other. Launching in with a series of heavy and repeated criticisms is a bit like gate crashing a party empty handed and yelling out loud that the free booze and food that everyone has brought is lousy.

Fortunately, this feedback forum isn't read by many, so maybe you would like to start over in this thread which you missed: viewforum.php?f=4 and some of the site owner's notices, I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome from the regulars, and as ThaiFly suggested, some friendly answers to any friendly specific building questions for a genuine project.
libranmale51

Post by libranmale51 »

whats with this dolly...everyone is being to kind...if you want up to date prices ask a builder for ***** sakes
geordie

Post by geordie »

given the global recesion we are in it woul be imposible to sugest anything other than get a quote locally most forum members i am sure would not dream of making a purchase without shopping around prices can vary from store to store when you take geography into acount the difference can be shocking or pleasing i bought showers and lighting cheaper in pattaya than in chayaphum go figure pattaya is notorious for higher prices
once a member has finished his or her build they are unlikely to put a daily/weekly update on the price of concrete or any other material however if you ask the question how mutch should i be paying for fill dirt or how mutch should i be paying for a metre of concrete in a specific location someone may well reply with a recent experience or even ask a supplier for a price as for links that fail thats part of internet life people come people go as do companies i am sure no one would deliberately take the time to put in a dead link as a fairly recent member i personally found the forum a great help in establishing Thai constuction techniques and managed to glean enough info to get a rough idea of what it would cost to build i cannot thank the members enough for that help which probably saved me thousands and i am talking about all the members because i took the time to read all the info relavant or not from my point of veiw a big thanks to all
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

libranmale51 wrote:...if you want up to date prices ask a builder for ***** sakes
Unfortunately, it might not be so easy to find a builder who can use a computer, let alone use the Internet. Larger firms that can and do, will certainly be out of wallet range for the budget conscious customer. Most, but not all, of the members seeking advice here are hoping to make significant savings.