Help wanted in Phuket

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Help wanted in Phuket

Postby scudman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:12 pm

We are getting closer to starting our build here in Phuket. I think we have the architect/draftsman picked, but he does not do Pools. Wondering if anyone can recommend someone to draw up pool construction docs. Not interested in hiring a pool company to do it for me. Just need the drawings. Also looking for a water bore drilling co. Found only one so far, and I want a competitive bid. Also looking for a local builder, not an expat company, that can give us a competitive bid for the house build.
Thanks
scudman

Re: Help wanted in Phuket

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi, I know some in Phuket but none that I can recommend. Be very careful whom you choose for any pool work in the Phuket & Krabi areas. Architects everywhere seem to be able to make nice concepts for pools, but they are overpriced if all you want is a standard rectangular job. They often do not know enough about the plumbing and operational systems, and when they do, it's usually out of date. Some pool constructors will offer a blueprint service much cheaper than the average archi, and they will probably give you a free BOQ so you know what to order. If you're going to build the pool yourself, check out the prices of all the equipment you will need and again try to source it well away from Phuket if you are looking for realisitc prices. We have an excellent forum on the board about swimming pools, do check it out. I would suggest reading it from start to finish - it will be well worthwhile.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby scudman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks Jazzman. I have been reading the Pool threads both here and TD. It is a simple 4x8 or 5x9 rectangle pool, salt water chlorination, endless edge with balance tank. I will start contacting the local pool companies to see if I can get some blueprints drawn up and go for the build and equipment sourcing myself. Willing to drive to BKK if that what it takes for a deal.
scudman

Postby English Tim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi scudman , i agree with jazzman there's a lot of of info about pools on C.T.H. if and when you get the 'specs' why don't you then post them on this site as there are many of us here who'll be more than willing to give you help / advice, cheers Tim.
English Tim

Postby scudman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks E.T. I will do that.
scudman

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Golden rule: Search the Internet for prices of pool equipment in Thailand. Start by looking for pumps and filters and check out some of the brands I mentioned earlier. A few companies now do online sales and some of them who practice reasonable prices actually publish them on their websites while others make up their prices according to the cut of the customer's cloth. Some will offer free construction plans with a complete order for all the technical bits and pieces for a pool and a help line for live construction tips. If the order is big enough, you'll most likely get a discount and you'll most probably get free delivery to Phuket too from BKK or wherever their firm is located.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby English Tim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi scudman, i have supervised to date the construction of 3 pools ( one being my own was also 'hand's on ) here in Pattaya and coming from a trades background and having been in construction all my life it's easy for me, so may i just say a word of advice you'll need to be there every day to keep an eye on things ( trust is o.k. but control is better ) i am sorry it may seem a bit brutal but with a pool there are a lot of components re: - piping , re-bar , water stops in the kicker, lights ,etc, Tip for you ,try and get the pool size to accommodate the tiles i.e. choose the tiles you want place them on a flat surface ( say 20 No. 30 No. whatever ) allow for spaces for grout then measure the overall length then work out what length and width works to tiles, add on say 40 mm for render to the concrete walls if you do this then you shouldn't need to be cutting the tiles , worst case may need to trim but you won't end up with "snot's' stupid little 25mm ( 1 inch ) pieces down the sides. Hope this may be of help ? and were all here to help each other, cheers Tim. :)
English Tim

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Most domestic pools are bog standard rectangles usually 4m wide then 8, 10, 12m long etc. but for some reason most DIYers seem to go off the deep end (lousy pun) and build their 'standard' pools in all sorts of hybrid sizes.

Also, one must consider the slope in the floor, and even if one goes for a flat bottom pool, there must be an almost imperceptible slope towards the main drain otherwise the water on the floor will hardly get filtered while the skimmer or the overflow gutter mainly takes only the surface water. So you will still have some tile cutting to do.

Also, the walls must be tiled first unless you want to ruin your newly tiled floor (believe me, I've seen the 'pros' make this mistake). Spacing the tiles to avoid a narrow strip of cut tiles down one side is easy enough, just do a dry run with one row across the width and calculate the grout gap accordingly to have an even spacing. At the very worst, you'll end up only having to cut the last row at the deep end. Always purchase enough tiles for the gross square meterage of you floor and walls, plus a couple of m2 more for wastage. And remember to use special tile adhesive and grout for pools if you wish to avoid disappointment two years later when the tiles fall off.

There is no harm in trying to build your own pool, but there's a lot to learn to build just one pool. The true professionals learn once and put their knowledge to use over and over again - the mistake they often make (especially the 2 pools a year people) is that they do not update that knowledge and that's why,for example, you see them installing a steel chest full of totally superfluous electronics for today's modern pumps, and do not know about consumer units and DIN-rail timers at a fraction of the price.
jazzman

Postby scudman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 pm

jazzman wrote: they do not update that knowledge and that's why,for example, you see them installing a steel chest full of totally superfluous electronics for today's modern pumps, and do not know about consumer units and DIN-rail timers at a fraction of the price.

Thank you once again jazzman for the tips.....Googling DIN-rail timers now.

And thanks to English Tim as well.
scudman

Postby English Tim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi jazzman i hope that wasn't an unnecessary dig at me re- ( 2 pools a year) along with other comments , i see by your profile your not a tradesman like me just someone who has gotten into construction , and your WRONG in advice saying do a dry run then work out the spacing accordingly, get all measurements worked out from day one . With the plastic tile spacers that you can buy here now the way i suggested would be a very easy and in my opinion the correct way to do it , in my pool i didn't have to cut not even 1 wall tile . And jazzman, i didn't come back onto C.T.H . to get into a war of words let's all try and get on together without smart innuendo's.
Last edited by English Tim on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
English Tim

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm

As far as tiling goes, as one who has done a bit of D.I.Y. when money was tight, but now would rather let a Tiler ? do the work. I can only say that I was told early on that the correct way to avoid either a large joint or those silly small cuts at the end of the wall, was to find the middle first, Then measure tiles along , if you end up with too small a cut to finish, just place the tile with it's middle on the centre line and you will always end up with half a tile plus the small cut. That also allows adjustment if the corner is out of plumb slightly.(Smaller or larger cut tile) but no silly little bits.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:34 am

Tim, just lighten up and AGF, or are you really one of those people that read every word backwards and inside out in the hope of finding they've been insulted? FWIW, I built my first pool in 1974 and over a hundred more since, not to mention the dozens of houses, so I guess you're right, I don't know squat about construction :wink:
jazzman

Postby English Tim » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Jazzman re:- your post i guess then we both have the same amount of years in construction. You too lighten up, your not the only one who has a lot to offer experience wise in construction, cheers Tim. F.I.O.C ( Fellow Institute Of Carpenters ) L.I.O.B. ( Licenciate Institute Of Building )
English Tim

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 am

Before this develops into an un-neccessary Sh-fight, perhaps Scudman can just read all the advice given by all and take it from there. Although I do find it a bit hard to accept that one could pour a concrete pool /have it rendered ,and expect every change of direction in the vertical and horizontal to fit full size tiles , given that the tiles are already bought and delivered or picked out before starting.We are talking M.M. here.? I wouldn't like to try that exercise with Thai workers, it wouldn't be worth the Aggro.! No offence ! just advice as that's what this Forum is for I believe, we don't have to live or die by it though.
Mike Judd

Postby scudman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am

Actually I decided not to build a pool at all. Monthly maintenance and ongoing parts replacement costs are too high for me, plus it requires a daily or semi weekly commitment to keep the water just right and the thing clean. We are 1.5 km from the beach, so if you want to get wet, go to the beach.
scudman

Next

Return to Krabi, Samui, Phuket