Seeking Builder recommendations

Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Prachin, Pattaya, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Trat

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.

It would be a good idea to tell us the name of the nearest city. Or at the very least the province you are in.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sat May 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.

It would be a good idea to tell us the name of the nearest city. Or at the very least the province you are in.


Yeah that WOULD help, I suppose!

Sorry, in all the excitement i forgot to say... Chonburi province. Bo Thong IS the nearest conurbation of any size

It's quite rural all round the plots. Don't know if i can (yet) post pictures but if i can i will include a map reference from google earth
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sat May 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Image

X marks the spot... well, that little yellow map pin, actually...

hope tht helps
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 06, 2017 11:12 pm

Thai Dhupp wrote:Image

X marks the spot... well, that little yellow map pin, actually...

hope tht helps

It does but I can't as I am about 500km north :?
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sat May 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Damn., looking at my uploaded picture on my iPad... It does not seem to show the yellow pin... I hope you can see it!?

The largest town is Bo Thong, about 25km away. Much cl
Closer, is Bo Kwang Thong, less than 2km but it's a one horse town.
Bith of these locations are searchable on Google Earth pro.

Anyway... I'm looking for a building team. Doesn't have to be a big ( and expensive) company with a lot of hidden peeps to pay, and it does not have to be very local to the build site... Most building teams live on site anyway so that's totally possible in this case. The main thing is... they are competent, by recommendation to do the work.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun May 07, 2017 7:47 am

Thai Dhupp wrote:Damn., looking at my uploaded picture on my iPad... It does not seem to show the yellow pin... I hope you can see it!?



There is something on the same level as Ko Is Chang.

However I think that you may not get a recommendation, the reason is than Thai workers/groups often change there work practice. they may work well for a time then become totally unreliable and bad. They may work badly for one person and well for another.

The only people I would ever recommend is a building company as it is their job to insulate you from these problems, but you still need a good one.

The odds ar better in Las Vegas :lol: :roll:
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sun May 07, 2017 10:51 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:Damn., looking at my uploaded picture on my iPad... It does not seem to show the yellow pin... I hope you can see it!?



There is something on the same level as Ko Is Chang.

However I think that you may not get a recommendation, the reason is than Thai workers/groups often change there work practice. they may work well for a time then become totally unreliable and bad. They may work badly for one person and well for another.

The only people I would ever recommend is a building company as it is their job to insulate you from these problems, but you still need a good one.

The odds are better in Las Vegas :lol: :roll:


the plot is parallel to Chonburi town, and about 35km inland from there

I tried Vegas... i won but i know many don't! (you are right - the odds stink)

Well, i hear you for the recommendation but...i gotta start somewhere and there just might have been an amazing team 'out there'.

Of course i will consider companies too, but my experience so far has not been good - 'we have to pay % to xyz as part of our partnership', etc and massive markups on materials and not wanting labour only. i would be happy with labour only as i have extensively researched materials and costs.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Klondyke » Sun May 07, 2017 1:11 pm

If you look for a larger construction company (e.g. from Chonburi) you might pay some 100% more than for some company or workers from nearby. And you will not get more negotiating (or persuasive) power for such a company with a big name when something goes not as per your idea.

If you have some connections with local people they can recommend some workers/group. Then you can divide your project on many portions/stages and each of the portion negotiate with the local group. Ask them for "mau" - lump sum, can be estimated by man-days and a daily rate (500 - 700 B/d). Always to negotiate and conclude just one portion, the next stage will be decided as per their current performance.

All the material you need to buy by yourself, it will cost you 50% of that what you would be charged by a big company. And it will be as per your liking and choice. There is so many construction shops around Chonburi.

And you have to supervize by yourself daily. Or if you are not available, have a local strong man (woman) who can give you daily the news/photos, his/her salary (monthly) will be well paid off.
Klondyke
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Sun May 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Klondyke wrote:If you look for a larger construction company (e.g. from Chonburi) you might pay some 100% more than for some company or workers from nearby. And you will not get more negotiating (or persuasive) power for such a company with a big name when something goes not as per your idea.


Hi Klondyke, thanks for the message and good advice. yes, I feel this too... aside from the cost, i definitely want to ensure it goes 'my way' and i sense more chance with a smaller outfit, at least for the initial stages, if they are closely managed

Klondyke wrote:If you have some connections with local people they can recommend some workers/group. Then you can divide your project on many portions/stages and each of the portion negotiate with the local group. Ask them for "mau" - lump sum, can be estimated by man-days and a daily rate (500 - 700 B/d). Always to negotiate and conclude just one portion, the next stage will be decided as per their current performance.


We are currently also looking at some connections-driven possibilities. lump sum is a good idea, as long a they can be managed to do exactly as agreed for the lump sum and not cut corners. yeah.. break it down into parcels of work could work for me too.

Klondyke wrote:All the material you need to buy by yourself, it will cost you 50% of that what you would be charged by a big company. And it will be as per your liking and choice. There is so many construction shops around Chonburi.


...as has been proved by the one quote I got where the 'nice gent' accidentally sent me the complete BOQ which clearly showed the markup. haha 100%?... and the rest. some items 250% mark up. I need to take a trip over to Chonburi town to see what is there - its on my list for when i go back to Thailand later this month.

Klondyke wrote:And you have to supervize by yourself daily. Or if you are not available, have a local strong man (woman) who can give you daily the news/photos, his/her salary (monthly) will be well paid off.


The good news re that is that this project will not start until both my wife and I are fully available to0 supervise it. oh...and i will be taking a low profile during those negotiations to build -keeping the 'Farang factor' out of it as long as possible is a good thing, i believe.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Thai Dhupp wrote:Hi Klondyke, thanks for the message and good advice. yes, I feel this too... aside from the cost, i definitely want to ensure it goes 'my way' and i sense more chance with a smaller outfit, at least for the initial stages, if they are closely managed

A little bit of advise: I thought I had possibly the best builder in Thailand at the start, he could read and understand detailed plans and he had an excellent crew, but as soon as I was away buying, his crew would revert to old Thai ways even though the builder was there, along with my foreman. Then they started playing Thai games, the foreman would be hunting lizards and frogs when I arrived back from buying and then he was away in my wife's Isaan truck a province away and would be playing catch-up. He was great at the start, then fell by the wayside.
My builder didn't know many things, but was honest about that lack of knowledge, which is why I was there every day to show the crew how it was done. I'd show the builder and foreman first, then the crew two to ten times how it was done, then I made them do it.
There were some mistakes in the plans which is why I had 10 copies made and would alter the whole ten copies. I bought all the workers safety goggles, leather gloves, a tape measure, a level and made them use them and I supplied fruit and drinks (red bull) that the foreman was in charge of.
Most of all I stayed flexible and used this site to bounce ideas around with the seasoned members and I accepted all advise, no matter how bad or good it was.
My first builder was a thief, but that was caused by the floods and near the end he started to get careless and had few workers and didn't complete jobs. He also demanded a commission off the specialists he employed (tiler, electrician, plumber, welders) and that caused problems as I paid them direct so he couldn't get his hands on the money.
All of my problems were easy to fix, except the flood for nearly 3 months and I got tremendous support from the experts here.
I wish you good luck and being there every day will make a world of difference. Just make sure you get the builder to sign for your tools and do not loan them out for his work on the side.
Looking forward to your build.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5251
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:Hi Klondyke, thanks for the message and good advice. yes, I feel this too... aside from the cost, i definitely want to ensure it goes 'my way' and i sense more chance with a smaller outfit, at least for the initial stages, if they are closely managed

A little bit of advise: I thought I had possibly the best builder in Thailand at the start, he could read and understand detailed plans and he had an excellent crew, but as soon as I was away buying, his crew would revert to old Thai ways even though the builder was there, along with my foreman. Then they started playing Thai games, the foreman would be hunting lizards and frogs when I arrived back from buying and then he was away in my wife's Isaan truck a province away and would be playing catch-up. He was great at the start, then fell by the wayside.
My builder didn't know many things, but was honest about that lack of knowledge, which is why I was there every day to show the crew how it was done. I'd show the builder and foreman first, then the crew two to ten times how it was done, then I made them do it.
There were some mistakes in the plans which is why I had 10 copies made and would alter the whole ten copies. I bought all the workers safety goggles, leather gloves, a tape measure, a level and made them use them and I supplied fruit and drinks (red bull) that the foreman was in charge of.
Most of all I stayed flexible and used this site to bounce ideas around with the seasoned members and I accepted all advise, no matter how bad or good it was.
My first builder was a thief, but that was caused by the floods and near the end he started to get careless and had few workers and didn't complete jobs. He also demanded a commission off the specialists he employed (tiler, electrician, plumber, welders) and that caused problems as I paid them direct so he couldn't get his hands on the money.
All of my problems were easy to fix, except the flood for nearly 3 months and I got tremendous support from the experts here.
I wish you good luck and being there every day will make a world of difference. Just make sure you get the builder to sign for your tools and do not loan them out for his work on the side.
Looking forward to your build.


Hi Roger... thanks for the message and sorry for the late reply - I'm not in Thailand right now and there is a time zone difference.

All good advice and I think the bottom line is... keep a close and constant eye on the build team, wherever they are from. I have some build knowledge, I am in the business albeit on a much bigger commercial scale. Add to that my wife who is ferocious in getting stuff done - i think we have a reasonable chance of keeping whoever it ends up being, on track.

I agree about keeping some flexibility too, BTW and of course a few consumable treats along the way for the team never goes amiss.

Thanks for the encouragement.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.


My best recommendation, if it is possible for you, is:
1) Figure out what is possible and not possible as far as materials and local worker's skill set (I've had to adjust mine a lot along my journey, which is only about 1/4 done so far);
2) Get some solid recommendations from others as far as "builders", pick one and discuss time-frames, etc. with them.
3) Bring someone from your own country on holiday for 3-6 months that has building experience and have them oversee ALL day to day operations.

So far, I have not been able to achieve #3, and my building experience is on the border of helping and hurting, mainly because I have had the same expectations of a build in Thailand as I have had in the US. Had I read more threads and not been so sure of myself I would have been more of a help than a burden on my building so far. Hoping I can do a turn-about going forward.

4) If you cannot do #3, then at least be present every day they are working and have a person that can Thai and English VERY WELL...to ask them questions and convey your thoughts. Just expect to have to ask several times; be willing to halt work until you understand why something is being done a certain way and; be patient. Losing your temper will, in no way, help you with the build.
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Klondyke » Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
My best recommendation, if it is possible for you, is:
1) Figure out what is possible and not possible as far as materials and local worker's skill set (I've had to adjust mine a lot along my journey, which is only about 1/4 done so far);
2) Get some solid recommendations from others as far as "builders", pick one and discuss time-frames, etc. with them.
3) Bring someone from your own country on holiday for 3-6 months that has building experience and have them oversee ALL day to day operations.

So far, I have not been able to achieve #3, and my building experience is on the border of helping and hurting, mainly because I have had the same expectations of a build in Thailand as I have had in the US. Had I read more threads and not been so sure of myself I would have been more of a help than a burden on my building so far. Hoping I can do a turn-about going forward.
.

Ad 1) there is a great choice nowadays here.
Ad 2) sure some recommendations and references are always OK. Time frame? We are in LOS.
Ad 3) I do not think it is workable. Somebody who does not have an experience with people of LOS and all the circumstances around can hardly achieve that.
Klondyke
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.


My best recommendation, if it is possible for you, is:
1) Figure out what is possible and not possible as far as materials and local worker's skill set (I've had to adjust mine a lot along my journey, which is only about 1/4 done so far);
2) Get some solid recommendations from others as far as "builders", pick one and discuss time-frames, etc. with them.
3) Bring someone from your own country on holiday for 3-6 months that has building experience and have them oversee ALL day to day operations.

So far, I have not been able to achieve #3, and my building experience is on the border of helping and hurting, mainly because I have had the same expectations of a build in Thailand as I have had in the US. Had I read more threads and not been so sure of myself I would have been more of a help than a burden on my building so far. Hoping I can do a turn-about going forward.

4) If you cannot do #3, then at least be present every day they are working and have a person that can Thai and English VERY WELL...to ask them questions and convey your thoughts. Just expect to have to ask several times; be willing to halt work until you understand why something is being done a certain way and; be patient. Losing your temper will, in no way, help you with the build.


hi there kmanonmaui..thanks for your input... yessss... i would like some actual builder recommendations to 'consider' lol but as sometimewoodworker said earlier... i probably will not get even one! ahh im still hopeful

I don't really know anyone 'back home' who could deal with the Thai way of doing stuff... TBH Uk is not really my home these days... Im =working in UAE and i consider BKK as 'home' when away from work

as previously mentioned, my wife and I will be on site all day every day while the stages of the build progress so we will be keeping a very close eye on proceedings.
User avatar
Thai Dhupp
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Next

Return to Eastern Region (including Pattaya)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest