Can Anyone recomend a builder?

Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Prachin, Pattaya, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Trat

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Can Anyone recomend a builder?

Postby NEILIOW » Sun May 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi My name's Neil, I'm 31 from the U.K. Married to a thai and we have a daughter 7 months. I purchased a house from a developer in pattaya 2 years ago and am now looking to build my own home. I purchased the land last year (200 talang wah). I have been quoted prices per sqm, ranging from 6000 - 10000b per sqm, to include tiles, sanitary ware, decoration etc. Is this normal practice to quote by the sqm? What would you consider a fair price.

I will be gratetful for the advice.

Neil
NEILIOW

Postby dozer » Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm

yes it is normal to quote by the sq. Prices of course vary all over the place depending on exactly what you're having done. I would recommend getting a plan done first and shopping it around.

The most inexpensive way, and in my opinion the best, way to proceed is to get a labor only bid and manage materials yourself. However if this isn't feasible there are a number of full service construction companies around. There is one I've been working with, PM me for details.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Can Anyone recomend a builder?

Postby George2k6 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:05 pm

Seems terribly cheap to me and i wouldn't want to be standing in the 6,000 baht one in a strong wind.

Much depends on materials, design costs, drainage etc. E.G. You can buy a teak door for 1,800 baht or for 12,000 baht and that pretty much sums it up. My friend just built a house in Pattaya, he started off at 10,000 baht and ended up at 17,500 per square meter but to be fair the place is fantastic
Our friend that advises labour only hit it right on the head. This will allow you to buy the best or the most economical without quality suffering too much.

I renovate condo's for a living and a total renewal costs between 8,000 baht and 14,000 baht per sq mt depending on structural changes and materials used. So these building prices you are quoting suprise me.
George2k6

Postby dozer » Wed May 24, 2006 4:11 pm

They are in fact building around here for that price, but it does of course depend on materials. You won't get granite or hardwood flooring included for example. A quality hardwood floor installed is more around 1500 per sq meter just for example. High quality teak doors are another thing you wouldn't be getting for 5000 or 6000 per sq meter.

Labor only is a great way to go to control material quality and costs. Some builders around here (Pattaya) don't like to do labor only because they can't get a percentage of the material budget.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby George2k6 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:38 pm

dozer wrote:They are in fact building around here for that price, but it does of course depend on materials. You won't get granite or hardwood flooring included for example. A quality hardwood floor installed is more around 1500 per sq meter just for example. High quality teak doors are another thing you wouldn't be getting for 5000 or 6000 per sq meter.

Labor only is a great way to go to control material quality and costs. Some builders around here (Pattaya) don't like to do labor only because they can't get a percentage of the material budget.

Your right there they don't in Bangkok either

I was just reading on a site today and an English guy who built a house in Chang Mai said "Rule of Thumb in Thailand".....double your inititial quote and you wont be far away :wink:

Think he is about right in my experience...........first half of job goes well then slows step by step to a crawl..........before you know it you have overpiaid them and your budget is gone. Then its "I cant do that I got no money for cement" "or no money for gas" "or my workers got no food and I have to pay them".........they leave you with the choice of giving them money or finding another squad...........you gotta love them...........they have their ways our Thai friends..... so dont go to the well looking for a gallon of water with a pint glass...the heartache and agro just isn't worth it. My advise is keep an open mind and expect to pay more and smile when you do it........
George2k6

re labour only

Postby NEILIOW » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi, i have found a builder who specializes in labour only and prefers this method, what sort of quote should i be aiming for? i have not approached him as of yet. How does he charge for the labour? per hour/day? please advise.

Neil
George2k6 wrote:
dozer wrote:They are in fact building around here for that price, but it does of course depend on materials. You won't get granite or hardwood flooring included for example. A quality hardwood floor installed is more around 1500 per sq meter just for example. High quality teak doors are another thing you wouldn't be getting for 5000 or 6000 per sq meter.

Your right there they don't in Bangkok either

I was just reading on a site today and an English guy who built a house in Chang Mai said "Rule of Thumb in Thailand".....double your inititial quote and you wont be far away :wink:

Think he is about right in my experience...........first half of job goes well then slows step by step to a crawl..........before you know it you have overpiaid them and your budget is gone. Then its "I cant do that I got no money for cement" "or no money for gas" "or my workers got no food and I have to pay them".........they leave you with the choice of giving them money or finding another squad...........you gotta love them...........they have their ways our Thai friends..... so dont go to the well looking for a gallon of water with a pint glass...the heartache and agro just isn't worth it. My advise is keep an open mind and expect to pay more and smile when you do it........
NEILIOW

Postby tintin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 pm

Thai workers are paid for the day. They work typically from 08.00 to 18.00 with a 1 hour brake in between. If conditions are right they might prefer to start earlier. Normal wages are 150 to 180 Thb. per day, and some get as low as 130 Thb. Ask for a plan on progress that states what to be done with how many workers each week. You might not get any, but if you get it you have something to hit the constructor on the head with if he falls behind schedule. As always it is a bonus if you have a mean bitch in the family (Thai) that can oversee the project and keep the constructor on his toes. She does not have to know much about housebuilding, just the fact that she always question everything and complains every time it comes to more money, more money, will keep everybody on site on their toes. We used it with great suksess on our first house. It is now 4 years old and still looks new. Other houses in the aerea have had bad paint jobs, leaky roofs, uneven tiles, craced walls etc. already after the first year.
Regards, Tintin.
tintin

Postby teletiger » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:05 pm

We're in the process of having a house built in Khao Yai. Labour only was quoted at 2,000 Baht per sq mt. This price covers everything. Money is paid over in stages and the builder understands that the last 50,000 won't be paid until I'm satisfied with the job and sign it off. Materials so far seem to be over budget at 6,500 Baht per sq mt, though we did up the quality on a few items.
This price includes granite flooring (95 sq mt) and teak doors. We used 14 cm bricks on the exterior wall, 9 cm bricks on the interior wall, with a 5 cm gap, both re-enforced with concrete and steel. The extra we paid for this, as an overall % of the house cost was minimal. 10,000 Baht per sq mt should get you a high quality, well fitted out house. As somebody on here once said..."Find yourself a big comfy armchair and park in the middle of the building site".
regards
teletiger

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:45 am

I thoroughly agree that it is sometimes difficult to find a team who will just do the labour and build to your spec. They WILL want to make some extra profit on the materials, which often means cheaper, or even substandard stuff. For example, if you are going to need 200 bags of portland cement at 130 Baht a bag, they will use 180 a bags and have made a quick 2,600 baht on the side, which is a lot of money for them. And unless you are a metallurgist and understand all the different thicknesses and densities of box and C-section steel, you may be specifying 4x2 at 650 baht per 6m lenght, but if they go and fetch it for 230 baht, would YOU know the difference. i wouldn't. The extra profit for them on a medium sized house could be 20,000 baht.

Prices may not be an issue for someone living on a Western salary and building a home here for his retirement, a house still costs less than a car! But if you are already living on a pension or working in Thailand as a teacher, then you will have to watch your budget very carefully.

If you know enough about building to be able to design your own house and stipulate the quantities and qualities, a rule of thumb told to me by a Thai builder who was unwittingly giving away his trade secrets, is to calculate the labour at 43% of the total materials cost. usually they will accept that. This has the enormous advantage that you can calculate your BoQ on cheap materials to get a good labour price, then up the quality. Basically this means quality of steel, cement, roof and floor tiles - these a re your biggest single expenses. This does mean you will need to be around to shop around and do the purchasing yourself. Farangs who come here, organise a project and clear off back to the UK, Oz, Europe or the US while the house is being built, are definitely going to be ripped off unless they leave their sharp-toungued wife here to oversee the work.

My labour calculation worked out at 1,346 baht/sq.m by applying the 43% rule. To calculate my budget for materials, I got quotes from serveral different supplier, a) myself, and b) by sending my Thai father in law, and then comparing the prices all over again with GlobalHome, Homemart, and HomePro. It was well worth the excercise - which took about two months - and i feel I got the best deals on everything, at least what was available in our rather remote area.

If anyone is interested in what I paid for EVERYTHING in detail, I have it on XL.
jazzman

Return to Eastern Region (including Pattaya)