Pattaya building materials and fittings shops

Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Prachin, Pattaya, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Trat

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Pattaya building materials and fittings shops

Postby t_soprano » Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi everybody,

I am designing a house to build in Chanthaburi and am in the process of costing everything and getting an indea for the sorts of building materials and fittings we like. As Chanthaburi is kind of off the map a bit I am going to cruise to Pattaya for a couple of nights with the wife and check out the building supply and fitting shops in Pattaya.

Could any one please tell me which shops in Pattaya have large selections, good prices, or are notable in any other way in the Pattaya area ?

Thanks very much!

Tony.
t_soprano

Re: Pattaya building materials and fittings shops

Postby fredlk » Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm

t_soprano wrote:Could any one please tell me which shops in Pattaya have large selections, good prices, or are notable in any other way in the Pattaya area ?

There will be others who know more about building supplies like blocks and rebar, but for tiles, taps, lamps and similar I've been to HomeWorks, Boonthavorn and HomePro.
HomePro didn't have what I wanted, HomeWorks did and the staff were quite helpful. Boonthavorn's staff was no help at all and all I found in their large store were tiles.
I would start at HomeWorks. Pattayapope recommended Global House in Rayong to me and Rayong would be on your route to Pattaya.
fredlk

Postby t_soprano » Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

fredlk wrote:
t_soprano wrote:Could any one please tell me which shops in Pattaya have large selections, good prices, or are notable in any other way in the Pattaya area ?

There will be others who know more about building supplies like blocks and rebar, but for tiles, taps, lamps and similar I've been to HomeWorks, Boonthavorn and HomePro.
HomePro didn't have what I wanted, HomeWorks did and the staff were quite helpful. Boonthavorn's staff was no help at all and all I found in their large store were tiles.
I would start at HomeWorks. Pattayapope recommended Global House in Rayong to me and Rayong would be on your route to Pattaya.

Thanks Fredlk - thats a most useful and good start of Ptt places. Funnily enough a friend said also said I should stop in Rayong as he said the selection is almost as good as Pattaya but the prices are more reasonable. Cant argue with that!!

Cheers! Tony.
t_soprano

Postby fredlk » Mon May 16, 2011 4:15 pm

t_soprano wrote:he said the selection is almost as good as Pattaya

I think that with the larger stores the selection is quite similar in all stores, but what I found was that a lot of the time it's not on display. If it's on display and you order it, chances are it's no longer manufactured. This I found very frustrating because I usually go shopping with an idea of the product I want already in my head. If you are open to anything as long as the prices are lower, then you'll be bombarded with "promotions" and "special offers" and no end of availability.

One more thing you should be aware of is that the staff is paid a commission on certain products per staff member and so if you're looking at Panasonic water-heaters and their commission on top of their meagre salary is on Stiebel, they will obviously steer you in that direction. Boonthavorn's problem was that per wc for example they set up a mini-bathroom and so if you wanted to look at all the Kohler wc's you ended up playing hide and seek. The staff couldn't help with that either. I prefer to see all wc's next to each other for comparison or all the taps and for that HomeWorks was best.
fredlk

Postby t_soprano » Sat May 21, 2011 1:22 pm

fredlk wrote:
t_soprano wrote:he said the selection is almost as good as Pattaya

I think that with the larger stores the selection is quite similar in all stores, but what I found was that a lot of the time it's not on display. If it's on display and you order it, chances are it's no longer manufactured. This I found very frustrating because I usually go shopping with an idea of the product I want already in my head. If you are open to anything as long as the prices are lower, then you'll be bombarded with "promotions" and "special offers" and no end of availability.

One more thing you should be aware of is that the staff is paid a commission on certain products per staff member and so if you're looking at Panasonic water-heaters and their commission on top of their meagre salary is on Stiebel, they will obviously steer you in that direction. Boonthavorn's problem was that per wc for example they set up a mini-bathroom and so if you wanted to look at all the Kohler wc's you ended up playing hide and seek. The staff couldn't help with that either. I prefer to see all wc's next to each other for comparison or all the taps and for that HomeWorks was best.

Hi Fred,

As a quick note of 2 days extensive window shopping in places in Pattaya and Rayong, here are my thoughts.

I looked at HomeMart in Rayong, GlobalHouse in Rayong, the Rayong Ceramic company (in Rayong!), Boonthavorn in Pattaya, HomeWorks in Pattaya and a HomeMart in Pattaya.

GlobalHouse in Rayong was excellent all round and is the biggest store out of all of them on the Eastern Seaboard. The Rayong Ceramic company was the best value tiles out of anywhere.

Boonthavorn in Pattaya had the best selection of tiles out of anywhere, and HomeWorks in Pattaya had the best value toilets and sinks. The HomeMarts were ok, but they didn't distinguish themselves for any single category regarding selection or value. Perhaps what they offer is convenience and time saving because they are near at hand almost everywhere.

Hope this helps some other folks! Thanks, Tony.
t_soprano

Postby dozer » Mon May 23, 2011 1:44 pm

The HomeMarts were ok, but they didn't distinguish themselves for any single category regarding selection or value. Perhaps what they offer is convenience and time saving because they are near at hand almost everywhere.
A note about the HomeMarts in general: they have not yet 'upgraded' their return policy, so goods purchased generally can't be returned (at least per the policy, eg more of a hassle if you can return). Note that homeworks, homepro, boontayorn have a stated return policy. They are good however for construction materials like cement.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Shastadad » Tue May 31, 2011 7:00 am

Speaking of Home Mart my builder tells me that they seem to have different policies depending upon whether or not they are owned by Siam Cement or are under the Home Mart umbrella for warehousing, purchasing, advertising, etc.

For instance, I belatedly found that the Home Mart on Sukumvit in Ban Amphur has excellent prices and their sales people are top notch

They saved me 1,000 THB on a Stiebel Eltron hot water heater, 1,200 THB on two above ground water tanks and another 500 THB on some tile I purchased yesterday

I wince when I think of how much they could have saved me over Kanyong during the course of the build :mrgreen:
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 am

Shastadad wrote:I wince when I think of how much they could have saved me over Kanyong during the course of the build :mrgreen:

Same same wince same same. :cry:
fredlk

Return to Eastern Region (including Pattaya)