Recommend specific GPRS Edge card and Service Provider

Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Prachin, Pattaya, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Trat

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Recommend specific GPRS Edge card and Service Provider

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Anyone have experience with GPRS Edge card service, Pattaya and Rayong area?

Can you recommend a card for PCMCIA slot of a Notebook PC?

Also, a service provider (AIS, DTAC, Orange, etc)?

I hope someone has experience with this.

Thanks.
Ray
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Re: Recommend specific GPRS Edge card and Service Provider

Postby Attila » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:09 am

Ray wrote:Anyone have experience with GPRS Edge card service, Pattaya and Rayong area?

Can you recommend a card for PCMCIA slot of a Notebook PC.?


Sony Ericson GC83, this is the only PCMCIA GPRS and EDGE card I've seen for sale in LOS.

I see a lot of timeouts with it. However these don't have to be a problem of the card itself, but can be a problem of the service. Trying to load a webpage in an EDGE capable phone, using the same SIM, does also show timeouts - the pages almost never do load completely, with all images.

Ray wrote:Also, a service provider (AIS, DTAC, Orange, etc)?


They all have GPRS, and that is just an emergency solution anyway (too slow, too much latency).

As far as I know only DTAC has EDGE, and not yet in all LOS, but in and around BKK and down to Chonburi and Pattaya.

I see a lot of timeouts with EDGE, but others at other places have good results. My timeouts could be because where I live I seem to be in the area of 4 different DTAC towers, and the connection seems to jump from one to the next, as if I would move around from one area to the next. One or 2 towers have EDGE, the others GPRS only. So when I'm in connected to a GPRS only tower it is slow :cry: really slow. And at almost every switching there is a timeout.

I just realized this tower switching as the reason for my problems with it when I bought a Nokia phone which displays the name of the cell you're connected to. And to my surprise it changes from time to time, 4 different names / cells, even without me moving around.

The Sony Ericsson EDGE card you get at DTAC, I bought it in their office in the (ex) world trade center in BKK. 13xxx baht. Plus about 1000 bath per month, unlimited data. Let me know if you ever get it and it works in your area.

Another solution is Hutch CDMA. Works as fast as EDGE, but less latency, and it does really work. Even where I live. Hutch offers this in about the same area where DTAC offers EDGE, meaning BKK and around and down the Chonburi province. Tested even in Phoenix Golf club, excellent connection.

Apparently many did realize that it works good, so they sold a lot, and now there is a rush hour effect in the evening, where it gets slow :cry:

But still, overall it's great, much better than dial up. I downloaded several software DVDs (Linux), it was running about 4 days per DVD, but I could still surf and do my email while it was downloading. You can't do that with GPRS type systems, due to their latency.

So my recommendation is to try Hutch CDMA first, and as second choice try DTAC EGDE.

(If you want to go for GPRS only, I still have 3 GPRS (not EDGE) PCMCIA cards lying around here, from Sierra Wireless and from Axen)
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

Hutch CDMA

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:15 am

Thanks for the excellent info.
Obvious conclusion is to give Hutch CDMA a try.
I am just outside Rayong.
Would pick this up in Rayong or in BKK?

Thanks again!


>>>EDIT>>> Just finishing up 50 days of using the Hutch CDMA modem every day for hours and hours. It works very well from Bangkok to Maptaphut, Rayong. No service in Chang Mai. No dropped sessions though some were slower than others.

Only caveat is to pay your bill when it arrives in the mail and don't go over the data allowance of 890 Mb/month. That way you wont find out about how poorly trained Hutch office folk are with this product. They do not understand it. period. I did a lot of Bittorrents ( large # of Megabytes downloaded). Very satisfied. ;)

I am returning to states in about 30 days. Would like to sell this baby anytime for $100, obo(much, much less than the 6900 Baht it currently costs).
Last edited by Ray on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Re: Hutch CDMA

Postby Attila » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:09 pm

Ray wrote:Thanks for the excellent info.
Obvious conclusion is to give Hutch CDMA a try.
I am just outside Rayong.
Would pick this up in Rayong or in BKK?

Thanks again!


BKK - yes!

Rayong - I don't know. Probably yes, but you better ask them.

Besides Hutch and its shops, a specialist in Hutch CDMA connections is the Fujitsu notebook shop in Tukcom Sriracha. The (female) boss there speaks some English. AFAIR here name is "Mam". They will be able to tell you more details, and also install it on your notebook.

I have a PCMCIA card for Hutch, a Sierra Wireless 555. But this might be not available at the moment. They do also sell a USB modem, and 2 of their phones with datacables. I know people using each of these systems, and all are happy.

BTW. The Sierra Wireless 555 PCMCIA card does work also very well with Linux, despite everybody saying it does not (they just do not know). Same for the phone solution with the datacables. The USB modem probably also, but I haven't checked it yet, so I cannot confirm that.
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

Postby pklongball » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:49 pm

Hey,,,,,,,,,,,this thread is very old and cold but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,over 2 years later there are options,,,,,,,,,,,but i would stick with Hutch,,,,,,,,,,,the original CDMA system is now being updated to CDMA 2000 EV-DO in the Bangkok-Chonburi-Siracha-Pattaya,,,,,,,,,,,the next update will be in the Sattahip Rayong area next year sometime,,,,,,,,,,,,I have had the Hutch Huawei EC 321 card for almost 2 years and always works,,,,,,,,,fastest it gets is about 130 kbps even though they say 153,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now the new EV-DO will get about 800,,,,,,,,,in a good area,,,,,,,,,it seems the farther away you are form the receiver site the slower you get until it drops to the slow speed,,,,,,,,,I tested the system here in my home in Naklua near BKK-Pattaya hospital and only got about 500. The tech claimed the card he has was old and worn out with a bad antenna,,,,,,,,,whatever,,,,,,,,,,but if you don't have ADSL then this is a real positive alternative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the 999 baht per month plan is unlimited so no time or data is involved,,,,,,,,,I can stay connected all day long if I want.

Just some food for thought ,,,,,,,,,,,,after 2 years,,,,,,,,,,

PK
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach

Postby Attila » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:17 am

pklongball wrote:Hey,,,,,,,,,,,this thread is very old and cold but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,over 2 years later there are options,,,,,,,,,,,but i would stick with Hutch,,,,,,,,,,,the original CDMA system is now being updated to CDMA 2000 EV-DO in the Bangkok-Chonburi-Siracha-Pattaya,,,,,,,,,,,the next update will be in the Sattahip Rayong area next year sometime,,,,,,,,,,,,I have had the Hutch Huawei EC 321 card for almost 2 years and always works,,,,,,,,,fastest it gets is about 130 kbps even though they say 153,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now the new EV-DO will get about 800,,,,,,,,,in a good area,,,,,,,,,it seems the farther away you are form the receiver site the slower you get until it drops to the slow speed,,,,,,,,,I tested the system here in my home in Naklua near BKK-Pattaya hospital and only got about 500. The tech claimed the card he has was old and worn out with a bad antenna,,,,,,,,,whatever,,,,,,,,,,but if you don't have ADSL then this is a real positive alternative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the 999 baht per month plan is unlimited so no time or data is involved,,,,,,,,,I can stay connected all day long if I want.

Just some food for thought ,,,,,,,,,,,,after 2 years,,,,,,,,,,

PK


Thanks for the update, PK, this is good news, indeed! 3G, long promised, I hear you knocking! :P

Where do you get the coverage area info? If I'm in that area, I'll certainly give it a try! If it works as good as before the old CDMA Hutch :roll: , it would allow me to throw away this unreliable and expensive IP-Star :evil:
The tech you mentioned, how to contact him?
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

Postby jazzman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 am

I would also like to throw away my expemnsive and unreliable iPstar :x
jazzman
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Thailand

Hutch

Postby pklongball » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:00 am

Attila wrote:
pklongball wrote:Hey,,,,,,,,,,,this thread is very old and cold but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,over 2 years later there are options,,,,,,,,,,,but i would stick with Hutch,,,,,,,,,,,the original CDMA system is now being updated to CDMA 2000 EV-DO in the Bangkok-Chonburi-Siracha-Pattaya,,,,,,,,,,,the next update will be in the Sattahip Rayong area next year sometime,,,,,,,,,,,,I have had the Hutch Huawei EC 321 card for almost 2 years and always works,,,,,,,,,fastest it gets is about 130 kbps even though they say 153,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now the new EV-DO will get about 800,,,,,,,,,in a good area,,,,,,,,,it seems the farther away you are form the receiver site the slower you get until it drops to the slow speed,,,,,,,,,I tested the system here in my home in Naklua near BKK-Pattaya hospital and only got about 500. The tech claimed the card he has was old and worn out with a bad antenna,,,,,,,,,whatever,,,,,,,,,,but if you don't have ADSL then this is a real positive alternative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the 999 baht per month plan is unlimited so no time or data is involved,,,,,,,,,I can stay connected all day long if I want.

Just some food for thought ,,,,,,,,,,,,after 2 years,,,,,,,,,,

PK


Thanks for the update, PK, this is good news, indeed! 3G, long promised, I hear you knocking! :P

Where do you get the coverage area info? If I'm in that area, I'll certainly give it a try! If it works as good as before the old CDMA Hutch :roll: , it would allow me to throw away this unreliable and expensive IP-Star :evil:
The tech you mentioned, how to contact him?



Hey Guys,,,,,,,sorry for the delayed response to your question.

The "tech" I refer to in my comments was the young kid working in the sales office in Pattaya. When I stopped in they were more than happy to come to my house with the newer EV-DO pcmcia card and let me demo it on my laptop. And as I stated the system worked Ok for me in the BKK Pattaya Hospital area.

So as for contact just stop in the Patttaya Hutch office next to the bank on Pattaya tai just a few steps from the Com Plaza Tuk Com. Very small office with about 6 people one or wo can speak Ok english and describe the system

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/evdo/index_en.htm

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/share/p_shop_en.htm


http://www.hutch.co.th/networkcoverage/ ... ap_eng.htm

Chonburi - Patthaya
(Next to Kasikorn bank, south Pattaya zone)
20/187 Moo 10 South Patthaya Road,
Amphur Mueng, Chonburi 20260
Tel. 038-427-939

Rayong - Big C Rayong
Big C Rayong. Room 109/1 (Near Dokya)
15/25 Bangnatrad, Amphur Mueng,
Rayong 21000
Tel 038 875 356

I hope this helps in your search for Hutch services and coverage.

Currently the slower speed system works in Rayong and the faster speed might be available early 2008,,,,,,,,,but who knows.

I know nothing about up country,,,,,,,,but I do know that CAT and Hutch are supposedly working to get all 76 provinces on the system.
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach


Return to Eastern Region (including Pattaya)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest