One floor or two?

Ang Thon, Ayutthaya, Chai Nat, Kanchanaburi, Lop Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Cha-am), Ratchaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Suphan Buri

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

One floor or two?

Postby Ankrit Farang » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:09 pm

I am planning to build a house near Hua Hin on a 2.5 Rai piece of land we already purchesed. Plenty of space obviously, but how much sense does it make economically to build two storeys as opposed to one floor?
I see an obvious saving in roof cost and area of foudations but does anyone know the comparative cost of the two options?
On the subject of an upper floor ( I want to capitalise on the views) is a timber joisted floor a a valid option ? I am not keen on having a concrete floor unless it is really essential. I also plant have my ground floor about one metre above ground level but I would anticipate that being concrete costruction to combat knawing insects etc.
Advise would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Ankrit Farang

Re: One floor or two?

Postby jazzman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Ankrit has chosen his model and started building, but for anyone else looking for a suggestion to his questions, the answers depend entirely on how much the budget is, the size of the house (number of rooms, bathrooms, kitchens etc. and the sq/ m; interior living space), and how important it is to make any significant savings.
It does not always follow that a smaller roof over two storeys is cheaper than a larger roof over a bungalow. You are not cramped for space on your land, and as you a re considering raising the ground floor 1 m anyway, personally I would consider a nice big bungalow with a terrace on a partially flat roof.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to Central Region (including Cha-am and Hua Hin)