Questions on Building in Kanchanaburi

Ang Thon, Ayutthaya, Chai Nat, Kanchanaburi, Lop Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Cha-am), Ratchaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Suphan Buri

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Questions on Building in Kanchanaburi

Postby Daihlo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:52 am

My wife and I will be building a house on her family land along the Kwai Noi near Kanchanaburi in a villiage named Ban Gao (not sure of spelling). While we will not be able to continuously watch the builders, her sister lives next door to where we plan to build and will help supervise or at least be our eyes on what is happening. We have a budget in mind of around 2.5M Baht. I have read some of the post of projects in Kanchanaburi but I couldnt find any builder names or references listed.

Does anyone recommend a builder to talk to in the Kanchanburi area?
What size house should I expect to be able to build with this budget in this area? Prefer 3+ Bedroom / Western Standards / Modern Thai Architecture / Minor Landscaping / No Perimeter Walls or Pool
Should I hire an independant technical project manager in your opinion ?

My wife is there now so any contact information would be appreciated. Just looking to get a start here and you will NOT be blamed for the problems that I am sure will occur!! :-)

Thank You in advance.

Cheers, :)
Steve and Ploy
Daihlo

Re: Questions on Building in Kanchanaburi

Postby apetley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:34 am

Hi Steve, nice to see you on Coolthaihouse.
There are good builders in Kanchanaburi but they are hard to find.
In my opinion we were extremely lucky that Nickys uncle had a good team and to be honest he put together a very good deal for us. How much he made himself I do not know but a couple of builders we asked said they could not have done it for the price he did. One of the benefits of family.
Our house alone cost 2.4 million. That was for absolutely everything including the fixtures and fittings which I think are to a pretty high standard although I say so myself.
The best local builder I know is based in Tha Maka, just to the east of Kanchanaburi but I would imagine he would not have a problem working in Ban Kao if he has the time, I know he usually has a fair amount of work. I will try and find his phone number for you and pm you later.
Last year he was quoting us 10k per sq metre all in for a house build although this was not using the highest quality of materials and I doubt if this includes things like electrical fittings, kitchen units etc or aircon.
As for the landscaping how big will your garden be? You can expect maybe 7 to 10k per nice tree, grass will be about 40 bht per sq metre laid, any topsoil you need between 1000 and 1500 bht delivered.
If you haven't already done so I would recommend having a look at some of the books of house designs you can buy in Thai bookshops or places such as Tesco Lotus. They will give you a very good idea of some nice designs and something you can show your builder to get a rough idea of the price.
As for a project manager I am not sure on that, I have heard some good things about <edit Dozer 7/30/09> being able to save money on builds but you would need to contact them to see what they could offer you.
I personally didn't feel the need for any project management simply because I trusted Nickys uncle to do the best for us, we were onsite just about everyday and, although I say so myself, can usually see if things are going the right way or not.
apetley

Postby thaifly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 am

Daihlo wrote:Should I hire an independant technical project manager in your opinion ?

gidday steve...its thethaifly frommae rim...........well....from my own experience on our build at mae rim... and taking into consideration....of recent builds completed on C.T.H. SUCESSFULLY..and several on the go now.....each one has not engaged a consultant or western supervision..to oversee their project...in fact one C.T.H. member..has his shelia doing this work...and what a great job she has done so far......STEVE ..the long and short of it...is ..that the builder and his crew...will define your destiny.....steve..my plan of attack would be to chase THE UNCLE for a quote..and to keep him honest get two more quotes as well.....the money you will save in not engaging a consultant...would be a considerable amount...which can be ultilised elsewhere on your build...and it must be noted that your build with RESPECT....will be a run of the mill diet...therefore any compenent builder can do ....without outside supervision...again your builder is the key to your sucess ...take your time...do your homework...before choosing...your builder..and then you are in his hands..best of luck...its a nice GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi Daihlo,
As far as I know, there are no consultants or projects managers locally in your area, so their fee would most likely be disproportionate to your budget. Your best solution is to get several comparative quotes from local builders, and ensure that they will show you houses they have constructed and allow you to talk to the owners, do note however that their prices a re not always indicative of their quality and reliability, but it's worth paying a lilttle extra for a really good firm. For a 2.5 million project, there are hundreds of ready made plans around either for free or to buy, so your would not necessarily need an architect. If you want any customising done, many reputable contractors will include the drawings in their price.

To get the best in terms of design, size, and quality for your budget, you could start by reading this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1316

and to avoid the worst case scenario, check this out: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=81
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Daihlo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks all for your responses.

I am sold on the idea of not using a project manager and we are now looking for builders to start it all off with quotes. I am making a list of things I would like my wifes sister to check for as we go through the various build stages. Ploy already picked up one of the books with house designs and has found some designs she likes. Jazzman I had already seen your house to budget post - very helpful and the disaster forum - which is why I added the "I wont blame anyone for any problems if they give me a referal in the area". We both have lived in China for 8-12 years so we understand issues with western minded quality expectations and what is reasonable to accept from a local perspective. Once again thanks all and please let us know if you have experience with a local builder in the area and/or contact details for one. I will make sure and get a section going for all to follow as soon as we start to break ground.

Cheers,
Steve and Ploy
Daihlo

Postby Rick B » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi Steve. I agree with the advice provided by others already, especially Thaifly. Your success is very much dependent on the builder you select. May I suggest that when you do receive various quotes, make sure you fully understand what is and what is not included in that price. The more questions you can ask and the more details you can obtain, before you select your builder, the better off the result will be. It's better to be surprised now than later. Many things are "normal" in Thailand and thusly assumed by many builders. However, you may not assume the same. Therefore, ask questions. In my area, the normal quote does not include electrics, painting, window glass/screens. Some quotes don't even include piping (supply, drain, vent and waste). So make sure you know what's included. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress so we can see how you're doing and, perhaps, offer some more advice. By the way, I lived in China also and I think you'll find the quality of work in Thailand much better than in PRC. There shouldn't be any comparison. It is still not up to western quality standards but certainly much better than what I experienced in PRC.
Rick B

Postby thaifly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 am

Daihlo wrote:
I am sold on the idea of not using a project manager and we are now looking for builders to start it all off with quotes.

gidday daihlo...its the thai fly from mae rim....first small step successfully excuted ..in canning any plans in engaging a western consultant..or supervision..to oversee your build...now the real work begins in selecting your builder ....wish you the very best of luck..in this very crucial stage....its a BUILDER GIDDAY TO ALL ...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Return to Central Region (including Cha-am and Hua Hin)