Observations on Building in Chaing Mai

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Observations on Building in Chaing Mai

Postby dozer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Feedback from George L
I was happy to stumble across this site. I spent four weeks in Chaing Mae recently. Got some dental work done which basically paid for the trip. I've built three custom houses here in the northwest with my brother and was interested in Thai building techniques. But, I couldn't find squat on the web after I got back. I can see now that most of my tools and skills for stick building are useless in Thailand. So much for building my owm place. I noticed that the cement work in Chiang Mai employed mostly women and I only saw one ready-mix truck and not even one concrete pumping rig. Everybody seem to use small batch mixers and buckets. Slow as hell but more jobs.

I see why there isn't much for outlets in the houses. Everything is cement and tile. Keeps down insect damage.

I was thinking of retiring to the Chiang Mai area. I liked the rural areas better than the smoggy city ( for possible buying/building) although I loved the 20 baht food stalls in town and the motor bikes everywhere. Got figure out if I could put up with visa runs and heat etc.
Anyway, I look forward to reading the rest of your site after I get some sleep. Thanks. Good job. -GL-
dozer
Site Admin

Return to Northern Region