Internet around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai,

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Internet around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai,

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 am

oki tested that now for you
my location is in Rung Arrun 3 in Hang Dong, thats still far outside of Chiang Mai, Downtown.

I was told that CAT should have very good connection and True is basically only a CAT reseller, CAT has fiber optics, but they are only downtown as far i know.

so my test results on
3BB (10M Plan) @ www.testmy.net

and very same test a few minutes later when i plugged in True
True Internet Cable (20M Plan) @ www.testmy.net

hope that info helps you in any way.
oil

Postby schuimpge » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am

zebrafilm wrote:Seems I got a job waiting for baandongviewdoi.com :-) site not working here.....Lovely pictures.

Its nice to read about places in that area, we have only been scouting a little around there, will need to know all places around.h

The biggest network issue in Thailand are the international routes, Our (Dutch) datacenter will optimise the routing to my place. We already work work with a team in several countries so yes pings will be high but max optimized. Still if I can get only 256k upload I can't really work. But I will find out in November. Lets hope that with all the resorts and farangs around they put some fiber on the road. We are about 500 meter from the main road I guess.

More tips about restaurants and nice place there are always welcome. :-)

Though I'm in BMA area, you might want to have a chat with my IT service provider. He provides the line, manages it and guarantees the bandwidth and speed, you really get exactly the speed that you pay for. It's not cheap, but his service is really really good.
Provides servers in his own office if you need it, server management, etc.
He is located in Sri Racha, but might be able to help you. It's a German guy, with a good team of Thai professionals. His company (if I recall correctly) has a direct pipe to Singapore which might help you with ping times.
His service is nothing less than you'd find in Europe.

Company is called INE (InterNet East) the guy's name is Ole Schuessler.
PM me if you want more contact details.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby zebrafilm » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Those test are good to see. I guess I will have to get used to it. I've 100mb line here in Amsterdam and 1 gb is just rolling out in places now.
I frequently stay with my family in CM in Sarapi area and their 3bbb connection does more or less the same.
Do both your internet lines run over the same telephone cable?

@Luc. Although it will take a few years before our house is finished I am interested to have talk with your IT provider. No need for servers ( got plenty in the racks in a free country) but it sounds interesting if he knows ways around the standard ISP's in Thailand. As far as I heard. There are only two companies with international lines and they don't like to pay for bandwidth. :-( Not sure how long they can keep those limits.

I have bad experience with satellite connections. Let's hope 4g rolls out in Thailand quicker than 3G did. Might be a good backup for ADSL.
My AIS 3G does not work at our place. Guess I have to buy some different brands to test others.
zebrafilm

Postby schuimpge » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:51 pm

My line is direct copper link from the main distributor box somewhere around Navanakorn. Expensive but for my company, my systems are mostly browser access and it's served from Singapore/UK, so it's a cost I can live with.
I only got 512 upload, 2Mb download, but that's 24/7/365, not only 4.30am on a Sunday if you're lucky... :lol:

The quotation a year ago listed a couple of options: fiber, copper and Directional antenna (which was through TOT).
According to Ole, there's hardly any difference between the 3, fiber being used for the higher speeds, directional antenna being slightly more prone to disconnects with storm/rain.
INE is our contract party and whatever happens, they ensure it's working, not some XYZ company or big TOT telling you to wait a bit as the technician is coming reaaal sooon now.. :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:11 pm

zebrafilm wrote:Do both your internet lines run over the same telephone cable?

I have bad experience with satellite connections. Let's hope 4g rolls out in Thailand quicker than 3G did.

3BB is normal ADSL
True Internet is Cable, its a seperate line

the reason i am having both is that lately True Internet became very unreliable / unstable. it was reported on ThaiVisa several times that they have severe issues.
One major downturn of True is the a shitload of stuff is blocked from there, they claim its a government block but thats all BS cause same sites arent blocked on 3BB

so for me its now that i am switching around for what suits better for me, although i dont want it as a perm solution, makes no sense in my book to pay 2 times

... as for 3G / 4G goes ..... they work fine as long you are very close to town, a bit outside ... it sucks balls imho,
oil

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Don't know about Chian Mai province but in our remote village in Isan we already have glass-fibre optic cable. Supplied by TOT.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm

jazzman wrote:Don't know about Chian Mai province but in our remote village in Isan we already have glass-fibre optic cable. Supplied by TOT.

that makes me feel like living in stone age,
in the village my girlfriend was born, which is just 25 km away from downtown chiangmai, they just started to have DSL a couple of years back,
also GF said they didnt have electricity in the Moo Ban before 1980
oil

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 pm

oil wrote:also GF said they didnt have electricity in the Moo Ban before 1980

Most of Thailand didn't have electricity before 1980. In some places it only arrived in the 1990's.
Where I live there was nothing when we bought the land and electricity had to come from 2 kilometres away.
3 kilometres of fibre-optic was laid to my house when I applied for a connection and so far I'm the only subscriber up here.
fredlk

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm

fredlk wrote:3 kilometres of fibre-optic was laid to my house when I applied for a connection and so far I'm the only subscriber up here.
thats what i call a outstanding service
oil

Postby schuimpge » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Fred is, has been lucky for his IT requirements. He is in a low density area and on a major Thai Internet highway.
There's very low chance he'll get problems on an oversold, under capacity line at his area.
My house, quite ok, between Thamassat and Bangkok. They've put quite some copper in here for the 1998 games.
But I applied initially for 16m True, and honestly, it sucked.. Would never get more than 6-7m at midnight or later.
True is notorious for overselling capacity it seems...

Company..I'm paying 22k per month for guaranteed speed. And no matter what time of the day I check...I get what I paid for. Will put some test results up tomorrow.
schuimpge

Previous

Return to Northern Region