Internet around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai,

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Internet around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai,

Postby zebrafilm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Anyone with experience what internet options are available and working well around the 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai area?
We are close to the Krisdadoi Resort.
zebrafilm

Re: Internet around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai,

Postby thailazer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Give TOT a call or visit and see if they can run a phone line for you for ADSL internet. That is probably your best option out there. We have TOT up north of Chiang Mai and it has been very reliable. They ran almost 2 km of line to get to our place.
thailazer

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:40 pm

For sure I will visit TOT (But we are in Europe for a while). Would love to hear from people in that area what is possible there.
I run a hosting company so fast access to my servers in the DC would be nice....
ADSL 2KM away from the box would give a max speed of 4/1 I assume. I know I will not get anywhere near the line I have here 200/10. My family in CM has 3BB with 24/4 (I think) and it is just workable when I use a VPN.
Guess fibre or cable is no real option in remote area's. We are already about 1000mtr from the main road up into the mountains.

Before we start to build I want to arrange my internet so I can work on site and have some IP camera's up. There is already a 3phase meter (with lousy 3x 16amp) so assume it must be possible to get a phone line there. Probably only after we have a house number with signed of building plans.
zebrafilm

Postby fredlk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

zebrafilm wrote:after we have a house number with signed of building plans.

A house number is only given once the house is built.
zebrafilm wrote:Guess fibre or cable is no real option in remote area's.

I was 3 kilometres from the nearest fibre optic cable but when I applied to CAT they installed it within a few days along the main road and I only had to pay for the last 200 metres in my own road.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 pm

fredlk wrote:
zebrafilm wrote:after we have a house number with signed of building plans.

A house number is only given once the house is built.

I got the house book after plans approved before house was started, so guess different locations have different rules :?:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 pm

pattayapope wrote:I got the house book after plans approved before house was started, so guess different locations have different rules :?:

Could be. Mine was only given once the house was habitable and I'd moved in. Officially it says something like it must be lockable and a bathroom must be available for the house number to be issued.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:19 pm

fredlk wrote:Officially it says something like it must be lockable and a bathroom must be available for the house number to be issued.

Correct ... the 80% rule applies in most areas I believe. However ... TIT ... and a photo of your building [or another :wink: ] will usually suffice as there is rarely if ever a site check. Same, same as building inspectors checking that you are building according to approved plans ... although in some areas in urban BKK I understand that does happen. NEVER out in the sticks; jungle; country et al.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 pm

MGV12 wrote:........ there is rarely if ever a site check.

After I'd moved in, someone was here to look because they then noted that the house is built on the 1st plot and a few metres onto the second. The 3rd plot is annually taxed as it is unbuilt.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 pm

I doubt that anyone who does not live immediately "around 1269, Ban Pong, Chiang Mai" would really be able to give you much in the way of useful advice .... as the internet in Thailand is often 'variable' to say the least. We are north of the city and just 4Kms from Maejo University ... which has just about everything it desires ... however we can only get TOT and that is sketchy to say the least. IMO that is all to do with contention ratio [number of connections on one line] and the fact that they are striving to compete with CAT on a Fibre Optic roll-out and are dedicating an increasing proportion of their bandwidth to that cause. We suck on the hind teat!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby oil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 am

i have a few friends living in the hills, but its more upper then you (Phu Jaya, Belle Villa Region) and they tried all and finally all did stick with 3BB
as far i recall 3BB even offers some commercial lines up there, which offer a higher bandwith for more possible users, cant recall the price anymore but i believe he said something around 200-2500 Baht for the commercial DSL line. However i believe it must run decent for him, cause he sort of openend some internet cafee with that line.

so imho 3BB is best option in the hills,

in case you are outside of the DSL area, (far away from the road) you still can use something called Point to Point they call it, where someone needs to have a regular DSL and you basically have a antenna pointing to the person, i know this thing can reach up to 10 km, but i sort of recall that the 2 antennas must be on sight.

if you need that i can ask them again for details, i scrubbed it out of my haed that time, cause i didnt need that info
oil

Postby MGV12 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:06 pm

oil wrote:i have a few friends living in the hills

The OP's location is not the back-of-beyond for sure ... somewhere like the Krisdadoi Resort would most likely need and have a good internet provision.

Being 'close by" unfortunately doesn't guarantee anything .. as we know in our location 'close by' Maejo University.

Be interested to know if Zebrafilm has made any progress on this ... did you ask Krisdadoi Resort what they have?

As a connected aside ... 'Speedtests' are mostly a waste of time as for Thailand they are often provided by ISP's who have a vested interest in flattering the result. This test [ http://testmy.net/ ] is [allegedly] independent and gave a far different story regarding our service. :(

MGV12

Postby zebrafilm » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 am

We are à little further than Krisdadoi in a village called montrantong (more on our building website: http://montrantong.com/ )
Completely at the end of the road but found out that my nearest neighbors use TOT and have a very low speed ADSL. Since I make my living with internet (( hosting / websites etc) it is pretty important. We will be back in CM in November and do a round of ISPs to check what is possible. Would be nice to know what lease lines are used. Still dreaming of a proper connection but it might need an office downtown......:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zebrafilm

Postby oil » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Well i know Krisdadoi there is the last ATM for a long long time

a friend of us (Pi Noy), has a restaurant here
http://www.panoramio.com/user/5613366
Ban Dong View Doi, he uses 3BB

a bit lower but in same village there is a guy called Amnoy with a little shop / Restaurant and a Internet Cafe
called Ban Dong WIFI, i know he uses some 3BB Premium as far i recall it was around 2000-2500 Baht per month,

i didn some tests some while back cause i was stranded in the hills for some time, for basic working as web designer / programmer / hoster it will do the trick for you, just dont expect get have a good ping for online games

you can totally skip a static IP thou, wont work on 3BB, i ll recommend you use knock files to secure FTP access.
but pics from that village look great,
oil

Postby zebrafilm » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:58 am

Seems I got a job waiting for baandongviewdoi.com :-) site not working here.....Lovely pictures.

Its nice to read about places in that area, we have only been scouting a little around there, will need to know all places around.h

The biggest network issue in Thailand are the international routes, Our (Dutch) datacenter will optimise the routing to my place. We already work work with a team in several countries so yes pings will be high but max optimized. Still if I can get only 256k upload I can't really work. But I will find out in November. Lets hope that with all the resorts and farangs around they put some fiber on the road. We are about 500 meter from the main road I guess.

More tips about restaurants and nice place there are always welcome. :-)
zebrafilm

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:19 am

i am sure they will put some fiber in the road ..... however that gonna probably take another 20 years till they do it in the hills :D

another possible solution is satellite, there is one sattelite bowl in Ban Dong where their url is written can recall it but its on the left before Amnoys restaurant comes. I heard it quite a few times that satellite should be quite decent, i always believed that only the downstream was over satellite and upstream still on landline but i was told that they found a better method for it.

I am living atm in Hang Dong and having True Internet Cable 20M which supposed to be good, i have a ping to singapore of 55 ms (some gameservers there) but everything to the US is 300+ ms. To the Netherlands i ping @ 230 ms.
From what i was told in the past is that the bottleneck in northern thailand is always the routing to bangkok.

BTW, when you need internet for work in the hills you always need same time a running subscription to some DTAC data plan, in the hills internet is never tooooo much reliable. in the 6 months i lived there we had like 4 total outages where it didnt work for nobody in the hills for 1 full day. Can be annnoying in the middle of a upload :D

As for speed, i am sure you will always have more then 256K upload, i ll have another 3BB line lying around here, its the cheapest they have which i use as backup will test it there in a second
oil

Next

Return to Northern Region