Drilling for water

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Drilling for water

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 am

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:you may want to take a look at the Master M7 made by Pure Water Filters in Chiang Mai. We got one from Global House [circa 19K including installation] it's well made and has performed well in the three months we've had it. The M7 model has an inline carbon filter as well [not sure about the drinking quality as we haven't had it tested yet]. It has a simple backwash function and a large salt container for secondary cleaning of the filter media. The main filter media is, I think, some kind of volcanic rock stuff and they claim it will last 5 years plus if you backwash it according to instructions.

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I need. I don't like the idea of having to have constant maintenance so if it's similar to the pool-filter in principle then anybody can do it.
I am tired of buying 6-litre bottles of water to drink only because the tap water doesn't taste so good.

Maintenance [backwashing] couldn't be simpler; You just rotate a lever on top of the unit to position 1 and let the pump flow for 5 mins then do the same in position 2 for the salt to do it's job. Other than that there's nothing much that can go wrong with it.

Made in Thailand

As with any of these things ... basic filtration is not rocket science, which is why the simple sand filter has been the standard for eons. To be completely legal you need a licence from your local water authority before you can use the water from your own well and this process includes testing of the water by their laboratory ............... so then you'll know what you need to filter out and have a better idea what system is appropriate for you.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:58 am

thaifly wrote:when i was building.. the fly came over a simarlar setup..but took the course which we have now..really its the thai way. the set up that mgv12 has mentioned ..may see the pea..but ????i would be further convinced with say 5 yrs on the clock..at least..fred i would asked fluke for further advice on this matter..just be wary of going out on a limb..of not doing it the thai way.. and for the mainteince bit...its no different to taking your car for service is it...just a fact of life.. for peanuts i might add... and a moble call away... the fly

Yep, I agree with you. In fact I think you both seem to have the same system only you let someone else do the backwash.
But of course I'll get more info and take advice from both Ae and Fluke as well as they have numerous builds under their belts.
I don't mind having someone do my maintenance, but what I am trying to organise for the future is less administration of said maintenance and it would be great if I could give a list of this kind of thing to the housekeeper's husband / the gardener and ask him to take care of it as part of his duties in between cleaning up after the dogs.
Addendum: many of the above are still only figments of my imagination, i.e. dogs, housekeeper, husband of housekeeper, water filter, garden and in fact even house!?! :lol:
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 am

MGV12 wrote: To be completely legal you need a licence from your local water authority before you can use the water from your own well and this process includes testing of the water by their laboratory .............

its a gidday to mgv12..the above procedure..did u personally go down this track..or did your bore man do it for you..and did you have your water tested..and what costs. for licence. and testing or were they included in the price..its a bore of a gidday its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:58 am

thaifly wrote:
MGV12 wrote: To be completely legal you need a licence from your local water authority before you can use the water from your own well and this process includes testing of the water by their laboratory .............

its a gidday to mgv12..the above procedure..did u personally go down this track..or did your bore man do it for you..and did you have your water tested..and what costs. for licence. and testing or were they included in the price..its a bore of a gidday its the thai fly from mae rim

Hi fly .... the bore man has to provide a document stating that he did the work etc etc and this is submitted to the water people [either you or he can do that I think] the cost was about 500Baht for the licence, the water analysis was [if I remember correctly] about 1500Baht.

It's one of those Thai rules that many ignore and get away with .... however .... it is an independent check on the quality and composition of your water so I thought it worth doing irrespective of the legal issue.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:32 pm

its a gidday to mgv12..its the thai fly from mae rim.. it is the borers responsibilty to provide a document of certification from the water authorieties to be given to you. UPON PAYMENT... when both partys are happy with the work done ... and all costs should be. INCLUDED IN THE CONTRACT. PRICE as agreed..as for the water testing this is not necessary AT ALL....and stress it is not required.. the authourieties are only interested in the depth of your bore for their records..just another dig in the ribs.. baht wise .. is the water testing scenario.. its a got it from the fly gidday to all..its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm

fredlk wrote:. What are your thoughts?

its a gidday to fred and mgv12..with the water systems etc etc..the fly thoughts are .it is up the indivual..my setup ..is connected to four dwellings..which i am sure would not suit mgv12 requirements..and possible mgv12 would not meet freds requirement..and so on..this is where sound professional advice is needed..thanks fellas for our VERY nice discussion today including boring of wells ..the fly is sure it wil benefit of members down the track..its a great dutch side robert tkc gidday to all..ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 pm

thaifly wrote:its a gidday to mgv12..its the thai fly from mae rim.. it is the borers responsibilty to provide a document of certification from the water authorieties to be given to you. UPON PAYMENT... when both partys are happy with the work done ... and all costs should be. INCLUDED IN THE CONTRACT. PRICE as agreed..as for the water testing this is not necessary AT ALL....and stress it is not required.. the authourieties are only interested in the depth of your bore for their records..just another dig in the ribs.. baht wise .. is the water testing scenario.. its a got it from the fly gidday to all..its the thai fly from mae rim

Different folks, different needs, different experiences as you say fly ..... we were told by the water authority that they require an analysis so they can keep an eye on the water quality and the presence of any toxic substances. If it was a Baht grabbing exercise so be it ... it was carried out by an independent laboratory and I want to know what's arriving in my pipes so was happy to do it. Yet another reason why I didn't go for municipal water supply .... I don't appreciate not having the choice as to whether I get additional chlorine [over and above the naturally-occurring element] in my water for a start ....................

"Chlorine introduced into the water supply reacts with other naturally-occurring elements to form toxins called trihalomethanes (THMs), which eventually make their way into our bodies. THMs have been linked to a wide range of human health maladies ranging from asthma and eczema to bladder cancer and heart disease. In addition, Dr. Peter Montague of the Environmental Research Foundation cites several studies linking moderate to heavy consumption of chlorinated tap water by pregnant women with higher miscarriage and birth defect rates."

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:21 pm

thaifly wrote:its a gidday to mgv12..its the thai fly from mae rim..

MGV12 wrote:Different folks, different needs, different experiences as you say fly .....

Thanks to you both. I'll be getting some added advice from my two guys when the time comes and I'll keep everyone posted of all that's being done.
fredlk

Postby Fritz » Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 am

MGV12 wrote:
fredlk wrote:
thaifly wrote:..and touch wood the filters/pumps..have worked in fine style..the only maintence so far in 3 yrs is for our water man to clean the filters etc etc once a month..

Thaifly can you tell us which filters you used? I've been told to put in a reverse osmosis filter to take out the metals. Then it should be fit for household consumption.
I would like to be able to drink it as well and so I thought of adding a carbon-filter for a separate drinking-water tap. What are your thoughts?

Hi Fred ... you may want to take a look at the Master M7 made by Pure Water Filters in Chiang Mai. We got one from Global House [circa 19K including installation] it's well made and has performed well in the three months we've had it. The M7 model has an inline carbon filter as well [not sure about the drinking quality as we haven't had it tested yet]. It has a simple backwash function and a large salt container for secondary cleaning of the filter media. The main filter media is, I think, some kind of volcanic rock stuff and they claim it will last 5 years plus if you backwash it according to instructions.

I didnt' want to open up a new topic hence my reply here. We saw a big black plastic (about 1m diameter) sand filter at Global House the other day. It looks like one of the small ball shaped black water tanks they sell and it had a similar backwash system you're referring to. Is that similar to the M7? They had two sizes 4,900 baht and a bigger one for 9,900 baht. Does anyone have experience with this? Our Moo baan water is pumped out of the river and usually the filtration is OK but once in a while and once could sometimes be more than often, we get dark brown water in the house. This does not only pose problems in terms of washing clothes etc but also when we're filling up the tanks, it completely ruins the quality of the water in the tanks. We buy drinking water though so we don't want to filter it for that but I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with this.

Many thanks!
Fritz
Fritz

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Fritz

I did notice the ball-shaped filters you refer to in GH but did not pay any real attention to them as my needs are met ... sorry ... can't help.

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Fritz wrote:We saw a big black plastic (about 1m diameter) sand filter at Global House the other day.

Sounds to me like a simple sand-filter. It will take out soil and sand, but if the brown particles are too fine it won't be enough and your water will still be brown.
fredlk

Postby Fritz » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm

fredlk wrote:
Fritz wrote:We saw a big black plastic (about 1m diameter) sand filter at Global House the other day.

Sounds to me like a simple sand-filter. It will take out soil and sand, but if the brown particles are too fine it won't be enough and your water will still be brown.

That's what I figured. Anyhow, I didn't think it could do much for 4,900 baht.
Fritz

Previous

Return to Northern Region