Drilling for water

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Drilling for water

Postby billd766 » Sun May 01, 2005 12:50 am

I live near Khampaeng Phet and I need to find someone who can drill for water on the land as we are suffering badly from the water shortage.
Can anybody help please?
:cry:
Billd766
billd766

Location: Klong Lan Pattana in Northwest Thailand and Pakistan

Re: Drilling for water

Postby otis-a » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:21 pm

What was outcome? It be nice to know for those needing well water to meet sunndry requirements. seems most small villages have some type mun'y water. Good idea as often in back is septic and front of hse is well. wife's aunty shower reels of H2S coming in from well water. the practice of shallow wells plus septics if invitation for choleria

My land came with hand dug well but it ran dry once. Summer 2010 was small drought, since her father up dip well had water we wait & it recharged

i read somewhere thai wells run around usd 2k?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 pm

second attempt the internet crashed as i hit send
there have been a few posts reference wells some happy some not so happy i think fredk paid about 75000 bht for his but whatever the cost long term if you need it you need it
I drink the water at mum in laws from the roof but municipal or well water __never
and thats even boiled with a tea bag my favorite
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby billd766 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:43 am

I has never happened at the house.

Unfortunately we live on the slope next to Mae Wong national park and it is all rock under about 1 metre of soil.

Nobody on our side of the road on the slope has a borehole.

I made a water tank farm of 20 ongs which gives about 30,000 litres of water and is sufficient most of the time f the 4 of us that live here.

However that said, this year we were in a drought and had no local water supply for a couple of months.

Add to that it was Songkran time and we had a lot of the family up from BKK and for a couple of weeks ther e were 10 people staying plus the odd friend or 3 and I ran out.

I have a 1,300 litre plastic water tank and I put that on the pickup and made a few runs a day to the local klong which still had water though not so clean and we survived.

We use rainwater for drinking and cooking from a separate stainless steel tank.

The normal water supply goes through 2 filters and was OK for showers, laundry and general use.

Even my fish pond of about 450 cubic metres dried out completely.
Billd766
billd766

Location: Klong Lan Pattana in Northwest Thailand and Pakistan

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:28 am

geordie wrote: i think fredk paid about 75000 bht for his

About the same price as ours in Maejo:

The guy who did it is the head of the Well Drillers Association [or something like that] so we thought we would be safe.

He quoted 50,000 Baht but when he got down about 30 metres he hit rock and had to change from a 4" rig to a 6" rig which put the cost up .... he hit water at 50 metres but carried on down to 70 to [hopefully] ensure long life. Water supply has been constant [Franklin submersible pump] for 18 months so far ..... it does get a little cloudy at times so we have a filter for the house ..... but straight from the pump for the garden.

After the event ....... as his office and 90% of his work are in the local area I reckon he should have known there would be rock where we are and only quoted low to get the job.
However .... enquiring around with other locals who have deep wells, Farang and Thai, the price is about right for hereabouts. EVERYONE around here with municipal supply or shallow wells has been on emergency rations or run dry this year.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:51 am

MGV12 wrote:
geordie wrote: i think fredk paid about 75000 bht for his

About the same price as ours in Maejo:

It was, to be precise, 80,000 Baht. I've described the process in full at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698 and I think it is 49 metres deep.
The water is very clear and has no smell and the builders use it for showering. Maybe also for cooking as well now.
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:54 am

MGV12 wrote:
After the event ....... as his office and 90% of his work are in the local area I reckon he should have known there would be rock where we are and only quoted low to get the job.
. EVERYONE around here with municipal supply or shallow wells has been on emergency rations or run dry this year.

its a gidday to mgv12..its the thai fly from mae rim..as i said on this forum before my shelia ex husband is in the game..my shelia has said to the fly. most drillers...do their best..to get it right ..as they like moving on to the next job quickly as possible..in your case perhaps he got it wrong. but ...how does he know he is going to hit rock a good number of metres underground..the depths and terrain vary bigtime in a short space of say 100 metres..you have done well in your case.. take it from me... and if any member has the opportunity to bore a well ...over the local supply.etc etc....do it ...even if the initial costs.. u may well think high..in the long term you will be the winner..its be proven time after time...its a another big fish out of the cup in italy gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 am

thaifly wrote:... and if any member has the opportunity to bore a well ...over the local supply.etc etc....do it ...even if the initial costs.. u may well think high..in the long term you will be the winner..its be proven time after time...

I agree wholeheartedly. Too many people have too many problems with water and although the initial outlay might seem high, although not by European standards, it saves so much hassle.
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:30 am

and to top that off fred..if in the future.. you may well want to flogg..your home..it is a very good selling point...the fly has seen his nearby neighbour..build concrete water tanks..etc etc..two years ago ..he finally bit the bullett and done a bore..whats he about to do in the near future..pull down his concrete.water tanks..threw money down the drain has nt he..the fly can vivdly remember going down the same path..but good prompting by my shelia..and i done a U turn... and done a bore .cost 148.000 baht..yes a expensive and further 87.000 baht spent on a tank/filter/system.. grand total 235.00..but have quality water for life..and touch wood the filters/pumps..have worked in fine style..the only maintence so far in 3 yrs is for our water man to clean the filters etc etc once a month..cost 200 to 300 baht..at times he has to remove small particles of rock which somehow get to our shower head and stop a good flow of water coming through ..he also checks our irragation system in this price plus other small work if required ..the fly
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am

thaifly wrote:..and touch wood the filters/pumps..have worked in fine style..the only maintence so far in 3 yrs is for our water man to clean the filters etc etc once a month..

Thaifly can you tell us which filters you used? I've been told to put in a reverse osmosis filter to take out the metals. Then it should be fit for household consumption.
I would like to be able to drink it as well and so I thought of adding a carbon-filter for a separate drinking-water tap. What are your thoughts?
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 am

fred the two filters we use have no name ..will check with our water man..next time around..they are cylinder in shape and approx 1.3/4. metres high. have seen the same type around the traps.the pumps are italian product ..PEDRILLO... yes fred ..with our set up ..if we put a high price water filter .. on our tap..the water indeed would be very drinkable...they cost from memory around 18.000 baht..the fly
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 am

thaifly wrote:fred the two filters we use have no name ..will check with our water man..next time around..they are cylinder in shape and approx 1.3/4. metres high. have seen the same type around the traps.the pumps are italian product ..PEDRILLO... yes fred ..with our set up ..if we put a high price water filter .. on our tap..the water indeed would be very drinkable...they cost from memory around 18.000 baht..the fly

Sounds to me like reverse osmosis. Thanks. :D
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:56 am

fredlk wrote:
thaifly wrote:..and touch wood the filters/pumps..have worked in fine style..the only maintence so far in 3 yrs is for our water man to clean the filters etc etc once a month..

Thaifly can you tell us which filters you used? I've been told to put in a reverse osmosis filter to take out the metals. Then it should be fit for household consumption.
I would like to be able to drink it as well and so I thought of adding a carbon-filter for a separate drinking-water tap. What are your thoughts?

Hi Fred ... you may want to take a look at the Master M7 made by Pure Water Filters in Chiang Mai. We got one from Global House [circa 19K including installation] it's well made and has performed well in the three months we've had it. The M7 model has an inline carbon filter as well [not sure about the drinking quality as we haven't had it tested yet]. It has a simple backwash function and a large salt container for secondary cleaning of the filter media. The main filter media is, I think, some kind of volcanic rock stuff and they claim it will last 5 years plus if you backwash it according to instructions.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am

MGV12 wrote:you may want to take a look at the Master M7 made by Pure Water Filters in Chiang Mai. We got one from Global House [circa 19K including installation] it's well made and has performed well in the three months we've had it. The M7 model has an inline carbon filter as well [not sure about the drinking quality as we haven't had it tested yet]. It has a simple backwash function and a large salt container for secondary cleaning of the filter media. The main filter media is, I think, some kind of volcanic rock stuff and they claim it will last 5 years plus if you backwash it according to instructions.

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I need. I don't like the idea of having to have constant maintenance so if it's similar to the pool-filter in principle then anybody can do it.
I am tired of buying 6-litre bottles of water to drink only because the tap water doesn't taste so good.
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

when i was building.. the fly came over a simarlar setup..but took the course which we have now..really its the thai way. the set up that mgv12 has mentioned ..may see the pea..but ????i would be further convinced with say 5 yrs on the clock..at least..fred i would asked fluke for further advice on this matter..just be wary of going out on a limb..of not doing it the thai way.. and for the mainteince bit...its no different to taking your car for service is it...just a fact of life.. for peanuts i might add... and a moble call away... the fly
thaifly

Next

Return to Northern Region