Prevailing Winds

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Prevailing Winds

Postby tangaroa67 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am

I'm in the early stages on planning a build in Chiang Rai and am working with an architect friend here in the UK on some designs. I'd like to orientate the building to make best use of cross air-flow to assist cooling and am looking for some advice on the prevailing wind in northern Thailand. I realise wind direction will vary, but is it true to say that during the NE monsoon season the prevailing wind tends to be from the NE (and from the SW for the SW monsoon), or is that too simplistic?

Any advice would be appreciated :)
tangaroa67

Re: Prevailing Winds

Postby Colorado » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:27 am

In our discussions with folks in Chiang Rai, most say that the winds most commonly come from the NNW direction. This seems to be our experience as well... but is not backed up by the data. Average weather data - check a site called 'weatherspark' http://weatherspark.com/averages/33962/Chiang-Rai-Thailand - shows just the opposite, with NW being the least likely direction for the wind to come from. South is the most common. But overall, the conclusion for Chiang Rai is 'The wind direction is highly variable and is not predominantly from any single direction.'

Data aside, our consistent experience here is that the big thunderstorms tend to plow in from the northwest. The wind accompanying a storm is frequently strong enough to push the rain in an open north or west window. Only rarely will the tail-end of the storm be strong enough to push the rain in an east or south window.

Maybe it is only our imagination, but the gentle breezes on non-storm days seem to come from the NW as well...

Hope that helps.
Colorado

Postby tangaroa67 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Colorado,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for posting that link ... I consider myself pretty good at finding internet resources, but I'd really come up a blank on 'average weather for Chiang Rai', so that site is particularly interesting.

I'd be very interested to learn if anyone else's experience defies the data :D
tangaroa67

Postby tangaroa67 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Colorado ... that site's REALLY good 8)
tangaroa67

Postby otis-a » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 pm

if u on hill slope
look in to thermals
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby tangaroa67 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:17 pm

otis-a wrote:if u on hill slope
look in to thermals

Hi Otis,

My land is a former rice field in a fairly open area. The nearest hills are quite some distance away.
tangaroa67

Postby Colorado » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

tangaroa67 wrote:Colorado ... that site's REALLY good 8)

Thanks. Just dumb luck I stumbled across it on a Google search. Note that it is in Beta -- certainly no one is checking the data to see if they make sense, but at least it has data...
Colorado

Postby tropo-design » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes this site is really good!
But, let me ad some more about prevailing winds in the north of Thailand.
The prevailing wind-direction depends on the season.
During the hot season the wind will mostly come from the South or South-west
During the rainy season the wind will mostly come from the South or south-east
During the cool season the wind will mostly come from the North or North-east

These are the general wind directions, which can vary depending on local geography.
During a thunderstorm the weather (wind and rain) can come from anywhere depending on where the cell of the storm is located.
For the design of buildings it is best to have large wall-openings in the south and in the north to allow good natural ventilation
without solar heat gain (good shading of openings is a condition), few openings in the east even less in the west
(evening sun, heat gain when the daily temperature is already at the max.).
tropo-design

Postby poodentaine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Tropo-design is right on the money. It also has a lot to do with your adjoining terrain. Our house is just north west of Phayao and we are fairly close to a beautiful mountain range. Having said that, we have experienced one micro-burst so far...it blew everything we had out of our breezeway, moved the washing machine about 30 cm and even moved the concrete table top a little off its pedestal. While we sustained some minor roof damage, one neighbor had 90% of his new roof blown completely off. The really bad-ass wind blown rain storms do indeed come in from the west for us. Occasionally, but rarely, do we get one from the east. However, the really nice, cooling, prevalent winds and breezes do emit from the southerly direction in the wet (hot) season and then from the north in dry (cool) season. Our southerly exposed Thai kitchen and the southern end of the breezeway will get wet during a rain that has even the slightest bit of wind with it. Let's just hope that climate change doesn't play havoc on the monsoonal patterns that most of the these Asian cultures depend on. I luckily and unintentionally, I might add....ended up with a passively cooled house by doing the little things that made sense at the time. Needless to say, I am so pleased with the final product. Good luck with your home construction. PE
poodentaine

Postby thailazer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Microbursts usually come straight down at high velocities and then spread out in all directions. We had a thunderstorm east of us last week and the winds, just simple outflow, came from the east and blew down a 400 pound teak carving. Winds from thunderstorms are very unpredictable.

Winds here in Mae Taeng are from the south in the hot season during the day, from the western foothills when the sun sets, and from the north in the cold season. Thunderstorms negate all of that and winds can come from any direction. We have had rain cyclones build up on all sides of the house in the six months we have lived here. A rain cyclone being one of those things that you put a strong flashlight into and you can see rain coming down, going up, twisting around, and running down the side of your house like a waterfall!
thailazer

Postby geordie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:49 pm

thailazer wrote:Microbursts usually come straight down at high velocities and then spread out in all directions. We had a thunderstorm east of us last week and the winds, just simple outflow, came from the east and blew down a 400 pound teak carving. Winds from thunderstorms are very unpredictable.

Winds here in Mae Taeng are from the south in the hot season during the day, from the western foothills when the sun sets, and from the north in the cold season. Thunderstorms negate all of that and winds can come from any direction. We have had rain cyclones build up on all sides of the house in the six months we have lived here.

A rain cyclone being one of those things that you put a strong flashlight into and you can see rain coming down, going up, twisting around, and running down the side of your house like a waterfall!

And uou chose to live there ? :wink:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to Northern Region