Looking for Land in Chiang Rai - Where to start

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Looking for Land in Chiang Rai - Where to start

Postby akalat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:28 pm

I couldn't see a specific forum on land acquisition, so post this here.

Basically we are looking for a recommendation for a starting point to look for land around Chiang Rai. A surf of the internet reveals several agents etc. catering to the Chiang Mai area, but very little around Chiang Rai.

We'll be heading up there early next year for a look around at available areas. Any recommendations for reputable agents or other starting places would be gratefully received.

A related question - what's the going rate for land in the north of Thialand complete with channot, and with available connections to electricity, water etc. nearby.

Any useful pointers appreciated.
akalat

Chian Rai

Postby cruzing » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:49 pm

If you know anyone in Chiang Rai is the best bet to find someone directly who has land for sale. You still have to pay whoever found the land for you, but the cost of the land will generally be less expensive than going through an agent.

Happy Hunting.
cruzing

land aquisition

Postby dozer » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:38 am

Yes I agree with cruzin' completely. For buying land you must normally spend some time and try to find it directly from the owner. First off, do farangs have to pay more for land? In a high tourist area like Pattaya I'm not 100% sure, but definetly upcountry land will be marked up if a farang is involved. Better to have your wife go and negotiate, sure they will probably know anyway, but no point rubbing salt in the wound.

Real estate types play every trick in the game. While their take is supposedly 3% normally they make side deals with the sellers. I would spend some time finding exactly where you like and then have your wife make inquiries.

good luck and happy hunting!
dozer
Site Admin

real estate

Postby cruzing » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:50 am

Dozer is right on the money. However, about not be 100% sure farangs pay more---I would say from MY experience married to a thai man and from what I have heard and few instances know for sure, that a foreign man married to a thai wife will pay more. I don't know if it's the idea that the foreign man is supplying all the money and will pay more than what a thai man with foreign wife would pay. Am I being clear a s mud??? Hope you get my drift.

Cruzing.
cruzing

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:12 am

When I was looking for land every week I would check out the Pattaya mail and phone up all the real estate agents with all these good deals they had advertised in the papers,guess what? they had ALL already been sold, after several weeks of this I started looking round for myself,all the land prices were cheaper per rai than those advertised that had already been sold, so I bought some land and now I got to build some houses on it :)

The Limey

RE

Postby cruzing » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 am

Ain't it the truth! Those so called professional agents will get you everytime, sometimes 2X's. :(

Now if you know someone, maybe like Mrs. Dozer, who I believe is one of those who is a local type contact, then you are much better off. :D

Land owners post signs all over, but a lot of those seem overpriced. I think it's the word of mouth way that you get the best deal.

Happy Hunting.
Cruzing
cruzing

checking around

Postby dozer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:33 am

Yes, you can just go around and ask people about certain parcels if you know the area. If you know about a specific parcel you are intested in you are supposed to be able to get the owners name and contact details from the land office.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Itchy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:39 pm

We bought our land from a Bank, having just missed the sale of the land at a court auction. We are very happy with the price we paid and the security of buying from an institution with legal title, rather than from an individual - there was no Farang mark-up.

All the banks are selling reclaimed property through their websites and all the courts have land for sale.

Both at knock down prices.
Itchy

buying land

Postby cruzing » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:43 am

Buying from a Bank or court is a good way to go, IF they have a piece of land you are interested in. Not always the case. We checked lots of banks and distressed sales out first.

Just because you buy from an individual, doesn't mean they don't have legal title. The first thing you do is ask to see the Chanote and make sure all the names,description and location are the same and true.

Before we bought the land we currently own, we looked at another piece close by. After my husband looked over the Chanote, he noticed that when the seller had bought the land originally there was a stipulation by the gov't that he could not sell it for 10 years. There were still 3 years to go. We wanted a free and clear chanote, so we felt that was not good for us, as you never know what his family would do if something happened to him.

Cruzing
cruzing

let Thais buy from Thais

Postby Ozode » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:46 am

I would agree that you should never go through a real estate agency. They are really designed to sell to us, the farangs, for a greater price. If you go around them you will find better prices. Still I would make one additional suggestion, let the family of your spouse do the talking for you, not your spouse, but their family.

I have found that if you are married to a thai, you should let their family negotiate for you. You will always get a better price if a thai is buying from a thai, than if a farang is involved. If you do not have a thai family to buy for you then, I am not sure what you could do, perhaps hire a thai man or woman to speak on your behalf.

When I was looking for land, originally I was told the a price that was much higher that what I eventually paid. Then I had my in-laws inquire about the same land and they received a much lower price. They simply indicated that they were buying the land for their daughter and did not mention me. I found that this was the way to go, plus it always makes your new family feel empowered in the community. Good for family relations as well.

John
Ozode

Re: Looking for Land in Chiang Rai - Where to start

Postby saudade53 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 am

<this is a non-commercial site and promotion and advertising are not allowed - thanks - mod>
saudade53

Return to Northern Region