Log cabin/Hut

Amnat Charoen, Buriram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Nongbua Lamphu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Sisaket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Log cabin/Hut

Postby Ajax » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 am

Hello, and thank you for a good forum. I am a norwegian that have had a relationship with a girl in Nong Ki for a time.
When we are not travelling around in resort-places we do stay at her parents farm. I like her parents and the farm a lot, but I could thinking of having a place for ourselves at the farm.
We would like to have more privacy and maybe most of all,- aircondition.
In time, if our relationship keep the same strength we will build a proper house at the farm or maybe another place in the village.
But for now we want to buy just a common log cabin or a hut. You know,- these prefabricated cabins to put together and to be set on a fundament.
And the question is; Is these things available in this area or somewhere else? I have check with phrases on the web with no result. Nong Ki is not far from Korat.
I do hope somebody can help me.
With regards from Terje.
Ajax

Re: Log cabin/Hut

Postby dozer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Nobody really does those log cabins here because the cost of wood is prohibitively high, a basic concrete cinderblock structure would be cheaper. Even treated wood has problems with termites (except teak which I'm sure you're not talking about).

If you look at what the Thais build when they want the cheapest structure that will last longer than a hut, it is regular cinderblock + a flat roofing material such as synthetic GRC tiles (or even less expensive is galvanized).
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Ajax » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks Ms. Dozer.
I proberly have to replan it over. This was ment to be an emergency solution so I could plan the mainhouse properly. No problem. I was meaning to bring the hut with me to the new land for the mainhouse, but maybe all of us can take advantage of a small guesthouse at my father in law land. This family will respeckt how to deal with this.
Ajax

Postby dozer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks Ms. Dozer
Just to avoid any confusion...... this is me posting, Dozer (or Mr. Dozer).... The Ms. Dozer has a section of the site here to highlight her building projects.

Good idea on small structure on father in law land. In the end you will be better off building a structure that will stay in place and not need to be moved.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm

I rather like Dozer's suggestion of the cinderblock hut. It could be used later as a utility room or even for guest accommodation.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:30 am

I have seen in the Bangkok area prefabricated panels requiring a raft foundation {heavy slab} similar to what we use in the uk given that we still have houses here of this nature 50+years with c,,p weather this might be a solution to what i am guesing is really a privacy issue quick to built should be fairly inexpensive and should ? be able to disassemle later if required to move I would asume that being concrete it will need to have measures taken to stop heat penetration I E under a tree or line it with insulation plus side how long for a termite to eat concrete no idea where you would purhase
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby ningnong » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Hello Ajax, good luck with your project.

Check out the link provided by darrrenr in message http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1740&start=0. The first ones or those at the end may suit your requirements for simplicity (and price:-) ?

ningnong
ningnong

Postby Nawty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 am

There is a company in Khao yai building log cabins.....probably expensive though and they not solid logs, but hollow in the middle.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm

hollow logs seems an excelent idea nothing for the termites
geordie

Postby Nawty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes, did not think of that.

Funny thing is they advertise it as 'real log' cabins.

see if I can get a photo and post it.

Also being hollow...it would be easy access to coat the insides with Tung oil and let it do its natural trick to keep the bugs away.... :D
Nawty

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:39 pm

sounds like a rip off to me they already flogged the guts

Nawty wrote:
Also being hollow...it would be easy access to coat the insides with Tung oil and let it do its natural trick to keep the bugs away.... :D

need a long brush
geordie

Postby Nawty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am

Chimney sweep brush should do the job
Nawty

Postby geordie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm

i like it good bit of thinking would you not find it same as me though bit short on hair :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby Nawty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 am

Here the pic....

IMG_9414.JPG
Nawty

Postby ningnong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 am

Hello All,

Not quite a log cabin, but has anyone come across Thai Lanna Home or know anything about or have any experience of their products :?: . We have to do a lot more research first but wanted to see if anyone on CTH had anything to share. From the web site they look ok and the prices are not too bad :o. We are particularly interested because we quite like a couple of the options and it could be a quicker option.
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Return to Isaan provinces