GENERAL GARDENING and TREE CARE

Gardens, landscaping and other things related to 'everything outside'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

GENERAL GARDENING and TREE CARE

Postby jazzman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 pm

There is a hugely interesting with ThaiFly on various subjects of gardening and tree care in ThaiFly's thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=805&start=45
jazzman

Re: GENERAL GARDENING and TREE CARE

Postby thaifly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am

its a gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim...with reference to THE MIGHTY APLETLY..recent post saying that three of his trees kicked the bucket..... not long after..planting..them....a very good reason ....MAY BE THAT IS??? that the holes dugged for them may have been to deep...fromthaiflys experience..all our mature trees have flourished big time....and no casulities occurred...but two baby ones died due to there holes being too deep...they did nt get the air to breathe...ITS A MIGHTY CHELSEA AND MICHEAL BALLACK GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm

5 of our coconut trees died, but I was told prior that cocos are hard to transpant at large sizes.

1 raintree was not looking so good, but believe it was damaged prior to planting and a lot of bark fell off the trunk. it was replaced a month later.

1 golden shower tree died that was medium size....no reason why for this one.

1 out of 10 other large palms died, again was told this trre at this size was not easy to transplant.

But certainly 95% of all ours have flourished.

edit: note no humour in this post.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:47 pm

I wonder if there is any one out there ,who has any knowledge on Agapanthas and their growing. They are a very leafy bulbous plant that flower at xmas here in Oz with purple or white flowers that then turn to seed pods by the thousand. Usually used along paths or frontages because of their green foliage all year. I have tried twice in Khon Kaen to grow them from seed, but no luck, even with the local Nursery man trying. It must be too hot for them although they thrive in the heat here in Oz and don't need watering at all. They spread like anything through their bulbous roots, so I wonder if that's the way to go. I also love Jacaranda trees, are they available in Thailand ?
Mike Judd

Postby cooked » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 am

Agapanthus: maybe you have a hybrid Agapanthus, these are more difficult to germinate. Also the offspring would be indeterminate as they will tend to revert to one of the parents. I have managed to raise Agapanthus from seed myself but it took about 5 years as I remember for them to come to a flowering size. I would suggest that you brutally cut the plants in two with a spade and replant. And water! This is the best method I think. To be done in 'Springtime', that is to say before they come to flower.
cooked

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes I found it a slow process to grow them from seed here in Oz, especially with either Possums or other critters tossing them out onto my deck each night. Much quicker to do as you say , just chop the root and divide them, no problem. As I said ,tried the seeds in Thailand, no luck so I took a root over last year and a very small Jacaranda in my luggage , they both took initially but had reports since that they are looking pretty poorly. I know Agaphanthas can fade a bit leaf wise,if it's very hot, but come back later, practically indestructible here in Oz. Any advice would be appreciated as I really like them along paths etc;
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I might add that I told them to shade them a bit and keep the water up if needed. Who knows?
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 am

Had a few trees & plants die because I overwatered them and the hole didn't drain (too much clay in it). I was told they probably died because the roots sat in water which may have gone stagent. Apparently the hole need to be able to drain somewhat.

Similar too keeping the plants in clay pots without drain holes, I suppose.
pipoz

Postby cooked » Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 pm

In Bangkok and most of Isaan the water table is not far under the surface, at least for part of the year. I spent quite some time constructing a low retaining wall and back filling with light soil. That is the place that I will be planting stuff like Agapanthus (I am drooling at the thought of being able to plant some) as well as a tree or two that need good drainage.
A common source of trouble is that people plant stuff too deeply, or later add a few centimeters of soil at a later date. You should be able to find, by examining the plant, how deep it was planted.
At the moment the only fertiliser that I use is cow manure, adequately ripened, I have killed a few trees and shrubs with Thai fertiliser.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 09, 2013 5:26 am

Cooked ! You say you will be planting Agapanthus , are they available all over Thailand ? as that would be much more convenient if they are.
Mike Judd

Postby cooked » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 am

I don't have any yet, but I remember seeing some in Chiang Mai flower market last year, they are on our list for our next visit there as well as a few other things.. not everything that flourishes up there grows well here in Isaan, our strawberries grow all over the place but no fruit for instance.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby edward137 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello,
I am very much irritated as it is very dangerous for my family member's health and for me also and I want to solve this problem as soon as possible so please anyone suggests me some termite control tips or some termite control products??
edward137

Postby edward137 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

edward137 wrote:Hello,
I am very much irritated as it is very dangerous for my family member's health and for me also and I want to solve this problem as soon as possible so please anyone suggests me some termite control tips or some Termite treatment costs
??

Please reply :)
edward137

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

edward137 wrote:
edward137 wrote:Hello,
I am very much irritated as it is very dangerous for my family member's health and for me also and I want to solve this problem as soon as possible so please anyone suggests me some termite control tips or some Termite treatment costs
??

Please reply :)

This forum is for those interested in building practices in Thailand.

As you appear to be based in India, any advice or product recommendations may not be appropriate in dealing with your 'dangerous' eusocial insect problem.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to garden and landscaping