Hybrid Storyboard

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby songkran » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:26 pm

They are quoting for 1m x 1m foundation holes. One would have thought that maybe in the sandy soil in and around Pattaya that driving piles into the ground would be more secure, but it might be more expensive.
songkran

Postby dozer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Piles are not normally driven for bungalows here in and around pattaya except for extreme soil conditions. Like there is one job site that was in a marsh and has about 2 meters of fill - they are driving piles. Soil conditions do vary widely, a soil survey is a good check.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:02 pm

dozer wrote:Piles are not normally driven for bungalows here in and around pattaya except for extreme soil conditions. Like there is one job site that was in a marsh and has about 2 meters of fill - they are driving piles. Soil conditions do vary widely, a soil survey is a good check.

land is very hard i believe.. i was going to put a small wooden fence (post and wire) round the land just to segregate it .. however it would seem wooden posts and a hammer only get it down about 1cm as the ground is so damn hard . !

they mentioned foundation posts as it was a question i specificily asked aboout the size of (ie 1m * 1m)
hybrid

Postby hybrid » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:36 pm

trying different version of plans.
it appears that my original U shape has quite a low usable living space. (but i still think it looks real nice) space lost with halls etc . also potential problems with having toilets long way away from each other with extra plumbing.

so trying a new design ..
images here for prosperites sake.
Attachments
revision 9 3.jpg
revision 9 2.jpg
revision 9 1.jpg
hybrid

Construction Quote

Postby hkexpat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Hybrid,

If you are going to ever have kids running around, check your glass spec, ask for 6mm toughend. Also, your Aluminium spec. is low end, 1.2mm is kind of flimsey, not too much of a problem if all your openings are small, but it will be if you have any 2 or 2.5m wide glazed doors to the pool patio for example. I would suggest 1.5mm, some people insist on 1.8mm section aluminium.

Are you getting Aluminium foil or other equivalent insulation in your roof?

What about the quality of the floor and wall finishes, have you seen them and are thus knowledgable about what you're going to get?

HKexpat
hkexpat

Re: Construction Quote

Postby hybrid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm

hkexpat wrote:Hybrid,

If you are going to ever have kids running around, check your glass spec, ask for 6mm toughend. Also, your Aluminium spec. is low end, 1.2mm is kind of flimsey, not too much of a problem if all your openings are small, but it will be if you have any 2 or 2.5m wide glazed doors to the pool patio for example. I would suggest 1.5mm, some people insist on 1.8mm section aluminium.

Are you getting Aluminium foil or other equivalent insulation in your roof?

What about the quality of the floor and wall finishes, have you seen them and are thus knowledgable about what you're going to get?

HKexpat

a few very good points there .. precisely why i use these forum for poeple to point things out which to be frank , i would not of known, or would have easily overlooked.
hybrid

Glass Spec.

Postby hkexpat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Hybrid,

In my reply to you I suggested toughened glass, this is very pricey, as a cheaper but safe alternative ask for a quote for 6mm float glass.

HKexpat
hkexpat

Previous

Return to Your Building Story