Good Pattaya Architect story

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Good Pattaya Architect story

Postby thaimic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:32 am

A year ago I decided to have a music studio designed to be built separate from my house here in Pattaya. Did my research on energy saving, and acoustic materials, then set about looking for an architect. Should be a simple job, one room of 10x9x3 meters. NOT! Three different architects told me it couldn't be built without massive steel girders, so they wouldn't design it. I guess the reason being the standard Thai room is app. 4x9?, so anything larger had to have center columns, and I wanted a completely open spaced room, no columns or posts other than inside the walls.
The man whose company built my pool, did a fantastic job, on time, on budget, and heavy-duty constructed, gave me the name of his architect. By this time I had little hope, but called him nonetheless. His name is Nattaphong Maneerat, his "little name" is Fluke, (pronounced Fook), and when he showed up I was surprisingly hopeful immediately. A small built chap with a beaming smile, and a sharp mind and wit, he listened carefully to my description of what I wanted. Though he had never designed a room so large without center posts as far as I could tell, he immediately started drawing while he put his mind to the task. Within the hour, he had come up with a rough, quick design, but more importantly, had the structural problem of supporting the roof properly without center posts, solved. The next week he brought me a color print of the exterior design, just to get an idea if I liked the look. It was precisely as I had described it to him, so we agreed to do business. Two weeks later he brought a detailed plan, to which I made some minor changes. Off he went, this polite, effusively happy man, leaving me feeling very confident I had found an intelligent, diligent, commitment honoring professional with whom it was a pleasure to do business with. Ten days later I had a detailed and precise 17 page architectural plan. He arranged with a structural engineer he works with, to get a structural engineer plan from. Two weeks later he brought that, all 24 pages of it.
As I wanted to do this all 100% legal, the next step was the Aw Bu Daw, which I had read would cost me a percentage of the construction budget. Not the case! Khun Fook took the plans to the official, and a week later my wife took a bottle of Johnny Walker to him as a pre thank you offering. It took 6 weeks to get the plan back all approved, but at no further costs. Khun Fook stayed in touch with the official all along, and picked up and delivered the approved plans for/to us.
It was, after dealing with many here who see farangs as a walking atm, a joy to work with this guy. He kept in constant touch, gave me what I asked for, honored all his commitments, and my costs from start to finish, for everything including the government approval, was B30,000. I have more upcoming building projects, and will gladly use Khun Fook for all of them. I give him an unconditional recommendation.
His email is flukealone@gmail.com, and flukealone@hotmail.com ph #s are 086-828-4565, fax is 038-706-371
Last edited by thaimic on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
thaimic

Postby Nawty » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Good to hear a positive story like that, many people tend to not spread the word of a positive experience, but tell many of bad experiences.

While it is good to hear the bad stuff, it is even better to hear the good.

Do you know how much he charges for larger projects, most charge a percentage, ranging from 3% to 10% of the building budget. Would be interesting to hear his charges.

Too many numbers in that mobile number I think.
Nawty

Postby thaimic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 am

Nawty wrote:Good to hear a positive story like that, many people tend to not spread the word of a positive experience, but tell many of bad experiences.

While it is good to hear the bad stuff, it is even better to hear the good.

Do you know how much he charges for larger projects, most charge a percentage, ranging from 3% to 10% of the building budget. Would be interesting to hear his charges.

Too many numbers in that mobile number I think.

Thanks for catching my typing mistake of the phone number, I've corrected it. Too many cappucino's, and my hands stutter.
Khun Fook charges a flat fee for jobs, is what he told me. I don't know if that would change on a really huge project, though.
I agree with you, we hear the negative tales all too often, possibly partly because they happen so much. Having had many try to take advantage of me here, it's always extra pleasant when you meet a business person who's honest, and honorable.
Thanks again for your great site, it's so helpful.
Matt
thaimic

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 am

A nice story with a recommendation for a change :D
This is pattaya specific and will certainly be of interests to readers down there. I have dropped a link to your article in the Pattaya forum for you.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Good builder in Kanchanaburi area

Postby Glenn » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:11 am

There are a lot of scoundrels out there.

We started off with a BAD Architect, who was the sister of a BAD Builder.

But we wound up with an excellent, competent, honorable builder for our house and we would highly recommend him to anyone needing construction or renovation in our area. He has a crew of about 10-12 good workers, with a good attitude. His work is on time, there were a few "extras", but nothing that he wasn't entitled to. His price was reasonable too.

Pictures of our house are in the gallery. PM me if you'd like more information.

Glenn
http://www.siam-orchids.com
Glenn

Return to Your Building Story