Sakon Nakhon Container Get Away

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Sakon Nakhon Container Get Away

Postby Rudeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi Folks,

Starting a thread on my Container Project to show the progress so far and how we have gotten to this stage,

First off let me start by saying that this is in no way meant to be a 5 star build with all the mod cons that you see of some of the containers builds on the internet or at least not at the moment but the wife may decide otherwise :roll: , this is a jungle get away where me and the family can come for a few days at a time to enjoy some peace and quiet and we can get out and about on the local hills and trails on the ATV and UTV :twisted:

The plan is to use Solar to provide some basic electricity needs, lighting :idea: and run a water pump, water wells and rain catchment (if needed) for our water needs, drinking water will be brought in from the city when required or at least that is the plan for now anyway but things could and probably will change!

Hoping to do as much as I can myself regarding the fitting out of the containers, solar system and water etc, founds and welding will be done by others although I do plan on learning to weld so can give it a go myself, will use local labour when needed and a have a few reliable guys I can call on for help in the local village.

The reasons for going with containers?? Dunno really, I'd always wanted to give it a go as working offshore in the oil industry we use them for everything, workshops, offices, test cabins etc and I'd always thought of turning one into a small house country shack type deal.

So to the Start, we were gifted approx 3 and half rai by the mother in law out in the sticks of Sakon Nakhon, approx 30 km's from Sakon Nakhon city and maybe 5kms from nearest village, no power or water utilities etc in the area and land was previously used as rice paddies but hadn't been used for a number of years, so first plan was to clear the land and see what we were dealing with, we also had a pad built up and access road put in to the pad, no photos of this though,
Total cost for land clearing, pad and road, 2 x tractors 3 days 13'000b.

20161229_094856.jpg
Land Clearing 1

20161230_164304.jpg
land clearing 2

Next up was establishing a water supply as cant do much without water, a local well driller was located and hired to drill 2 x 4" wells, both were drilled to approx 35-40 meters deep took 1 day per well they were there sharp at 8am each morning and worked until completed which was about 5pm, cost was 10'000b per well including the blue perforated liner pipe.

20170224_095531.jpg
Well Drilling

So with land cleared and a water supply sorted we got in touch with a local building contractor, he was a family friend and one that we'd used previously for building an extension to our house in the city and for doing work at MIL's house so knew he done a good job.
I already had a rough sort of plan by this point of what I was after so knew where the foundations would be required for setting the containers, after a few visits to site with the builder, some measuring and sketching was done and a price was agreed, 60'000b for the foundations but I had to buy a pump to supply the water, a trip to the city and a little honda ditch pump and some hoses were bought and the foundations were built.

20170227_145156.jpg
Foundations 1

20170301_135936.jpg
Foundations 2

20170301_135947.jpg
Foundations 3

20170309_140257.jpg
Foundations Completed

More to follow!!
Rudeboy

Re: Sakon Nakhon Container Get Away

Postby Rudeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:27 pm

So to continue (only allowed 7 attachments per post must remember this)

With the foundations completed and having been left a few weeks to cure it was time to bring the containers in, we were lucky in that there is a haulage / logistics company not far from us and the owners son does containers as a side line, so we paid them a visit, they had a bout 8 containers in for sale, 1 x 40 footer which I knew there was no way we could get on our land and 7 x 20 footers, I gave the 20 footers a good check over and 2 were picked at a price of 80'000b for the 2 including delivery and placing them on the foundations.

20170309_170015.jpg
Containers 1

1489216463209.jpg
Containers 2
1489216463209.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 154 times

With the containers in place it was time for me to head back to work, not before first organising a few jobs to keep the wife busy whilst I was away though :wink:

I knew a roof over the containers would be essential to keep them in the shade and keep temps down, again a guy we'd used before for steel work was brought in to construct the roof over the containers, cost if i remember correctly was 90'000b for an 11 meter by 12 meter roof the roof sheets that have the type of foil insulation a couple of mm thick, which I thought seemed steep but I knew he done a good job and the wife's uncle seemed to think this was a fair price having worked in the steel industry himself in a previous life, so I was away to work and roof construction was started and completed whilst I was away.

1490702953524.jpg
Roof 1
1490702953524.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 154 times

1491221238220.jpg
Roof 2
1491221238220.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 154 times

1494238896961.jpg
Roof Completed and now being used as a Carport

Next little job for the wife was getting the ground to the left of the containers built up as need more space that would not get water logged when rainy season is upon us, total amount of earth brought in was 100 trucks at 200b per truck with a free tractor to level the dirt, total 20'000b.

1494246078378.jpg
Earth 1

1494420840088.jpg
Finished Pad Extension

More to come.
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Somewhere in between the roof and getting the pad extended my wife also had a fence put round the full perimeter of the land, I have no idea how much this cost as she organised and paid for it with her "own" money and I didn't want to push the topic of cost too much as she may have asked me to pay her back :lol: :lol:

1493132252336.jpg
Fence

So that was it, things slowed down, well in fact they stopped as I was away working!!

Whilst away I had a lot of time to think about the project and a few doubts were creeping in!!

Was it all going to go horribly wrong? hopefully not.

Had I bitten off more than I can chew trying to do this? quite possibly but too late now!

Would i have been easier/cheaper to just have built a normal cement and block house? Easier? Probably, Cheaper? not so sure.

So i decided to change things up a little as what me and the wife wanted out of the container house had grown slightly and it was slowly turning from a weekend pad into a week long pad and possibly a retirement pad, although being only 39 that's a while off for me (unless I win the lottery).

Anyways back to the project,
As I said i decided to change things a little and slow down the pace of the main container builds, how did I go about this? by getting another 2 containers!!!! :?: :?:

The plan is to use these 2 extra containers to make something quick and easy to give us somewhere to sleep at nights so we can spend time there whilst I work on the 2 main containers or use as a base if were out on the ATV's, this time I ordered the containers already painted inside and out with window and sliding patio door already fitted to one, some concrete posts were laid as a basic sort of foundation and the containers were brought in

Cost of posts free, some contatct of the MIL's uncle had them that were not required :D

Cost of 2 more containers painted and door/window installed 110'000b with delivery and installation included.

20170613_120325.jpg
Basic Post Foundation

With Rainy Season upon us the truck bringing the containers got stuck on the way in and on the way out, a local farmer and his tracker were summoned to help with the recovery.

20170614_111643.jpg
Stuck Coming In

20170613_170247.jpg
Stuck Going Out

So after lots of pushing, pulling, digging and jacking the 2 new containers were finally in place :D

20170613_153307.jpg
Container 2-1

20170614_142752.jpg
Container 2-2

20170620_102215.jpg
In Place

Rainy season was now well under way and the access road had turned to a clay / mug pit and only access was with our trusty hilux or our ATV's so work was at a stand still until after the rainy season, still this gave me plenty time to do some more research and come up with more barmy ideas :lol: :lol:

I have to admit at being a little nervous about the make shift founds for the new containers, would they hold up to the weight? I was ensured they were fully reinforced with rebar and not to worry they would be fine, I was also worried that during rainy season they might just sink into the ground!!!

Anyway site was closed up until after rainy season with just the occasional flying visit when out playing on the ATV's to check all was OK.
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Rainy Season over with was time to get back to work, kind of!!

Having been untouched pretty much for the entire rainy season the vegetation had taken over, so one of the trusted local villagers was hired in with his petrol strimmer to give the place a trim, paid him 500b per day and it took him 3 days to complete the work which was pretty good going unfortunately I've no photos of this but the vegetation had grown to almost 6 feet all over the land so was quite a bit of work to trim down,

Once he'd finished with the cutting we kept him on to do some painting, as the 2 main containers are likely to sit for a while before I get really stuck into them I thought it best to give them a clean up and lick of paint if anything just to make them look a bit more aesthetically pleasing,

Out in the ATV's checking the progress of the vegetation trimming.

20171007_172007.jpg
ATV's

With all the recent flooding in Sakon Nakhon the reservoirs were all at bursting point so water was being released almost daily to lower the levels, whilst out on the ATV's we decided to stop and let the kids have a jump about in the local khlong (not sure if this is the right term), they had fun, and I also jumped in to cool off a little (big kid at heart really) :lol:

20171008_150039.jpg
Water Fun

Containers getting a lick of paint.

1508644899617.jpg
Paint 1
1508644899617.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 148 times

1509435003497.jpg
Paint 2
1509435003497.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 148 times

23423574_1691525217579680_284296776_o.jpg
Paint 3

Anyways, my concerns with the new containers make shift founds turned out to be unfounded (pun intended), they hadn't moved or sunk an inch which was surprising with the amount of rain and flooding that had been experienced in the area,

The access road was almost non existent and had been washed away quite badly in places, so this was first thing to be done, couple of trucks of Earth and a tractor were brought in and road fixed up, need to look into ways to do a proper fix on this to stop it washing away every rainy season but because it is a shared access with neighbouring fields/land I'm not too keen on spending a lot getting this done for others to then use and plough up when accessing with tractors and the likes, will dwell on this one for a bit, have until next rainy season to think of something although hoping by then will have no real need to bring any heavy trucks in and out so may just leave it as we can access pretty much anytime on our ATV's.

So another roof was required for the new grey containers, same guys were brought in to do the roof as done the roof for the other now yellow containers except this time I also had them frame out for the decking, this time cost was 70'000b, still think I'm being had here but everyone else I've spoke to thinks they are being reasonable with there pricing, I did also ask if they could put in an extra window and door in the grey container at the back but was told no cannot, too hard, need this done ASAP if I'm to progress with the grey containers so my plan to learn welding as mentioned in my OP may now be coming forward :shock:

25552886_1733498006715734_1321445102_o.jpg
New Roof

25829634_1736200136445521_1341320620_o.jpg
Deck Framing
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm

This is how things stand at the moment with the last thing being done was the roof on the 2 gray containers,

25673472_1736200943112107_1572995353_o.jpg
As it Stands

I'm currently offshore at the moment on a Sub-sea Construction Vessel in the middle of a very cold and windy Caspian Sea, hence the reason I'm writing this story on Christmas Eve and not out on the lash :(

Home in a few days though for the new year so once new year festivities are dealt with it will be all stations go,

Have ordered all my solar stuff and its sitting at home awaiting my return, so plans for after the new year all going well, window and door fitted at back of gray container (may require assistance of a welder for this but plan on buying generator and welder and starting to learn the basics), "rustic" outside toilet and cold shower room built, water tank, pump and plumbing for said toilet/shower room completed, decking at front of gray containers done, plan to use dura/conwood/sherra decking for this, inside of gray containers fitted out to make a bit more comfortable and get the basic solar system up and running to run some LED lights inside and outside of gray containers and run the water pump,

The plan is to do all the above by myself (except maybe welding) and get my local guy in to assist when required,

a few sketch up drawings below of my (kind of) plan although these are still being messed around with and altered and doubt I'll really have a concrete plan until I actually just get on and do it,

Will post up progress in the new year, so Merry Christmas folks and have a good new year when it comes, all the best to you and yours :wink:

18.JPG
Overview

3.JPG
Solar room Door on right, Bedroom Window on Left

8.JPG
Interior of Grey Continers

13.JPG
Yellow Containers

6.JPG
Yellow Interior
Rudeboy

Postby Klondyke » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:01 am

How will you insulate the containers walls, ceiling? Or is it done already?
Klondyke

Postby Rudeboy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Klondyke wrote:How will you insulate the containers walls, ceiling? Or is it done already?

Hi Klondyke, I knew this would be one of the first questions that came up,

At the moment the vote is still out on this one, Ideally PU spray foam is the best for containers from the research I've done but so far in LOS I've only found 1 reputable company that do this and for them to travel up to Sakon Nakhon and do the containers they are asking over 400'000b :shock: :shock:

So this is just not feasible at the minute, believe it or not we have stayed in the gray containers a few times over night already with nothing more than a mossy net and a few blankets to lie on and temperatures were fine and comfortable as night time temps in the area are quite cool, during the day when were onsite the doors are all open pretty much all the time and then again at night the doors are always left open, the plan is to build in some mosy screens so the main doors can be left open full time when were onsite,

Its still a big consideration and I plan to test out a few things with the gray containers before we start on the yellow containers, firstly being no insulation at all and see how the temps are, going along the lines that yes they will get hot during full day sun but again were never in them during the day as always outside but they will also cool quickly at night without any insulation especially with doors, windows left open to allow the air to circulate,

If the no Insulation isn't good enough then I'll try some normal foil backed insulation that's normally used in roofs etc but again concerned that this may just keep the heat in longer at night and AC isn't an option unless spending a small fortune on the solar system,

Certainly open to ideas, suggestions on insulation methods as this is always one of the big things with container builds, have seen a few methods used on the interweb but most are in full sun all the time with no roof to shade the actual containers which makes a big difference,

I've also seen an additive that can be added to paint, it basically millions of little ceramic balls with an air pocket in the middle and the claim is that mixing this in with the paint and then painting the outside of the containers can achieve a 5-7
degree C reduction in inside temps,

But again, doors always open so would it really make a difference in my case, not so sure?
Rudeboy

Postby Klondyke » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 am

Certainly open to ideas, suggestions on insulation methods

You can use some classic method of additional cladding with an insulation underneath (foam or foils).

Attaching picture of additional outside insulation of a single brick wall exposed to afternoon sunshine: polysterene foam and WPC planks (artificial wood):

And/or inside additional insulation - not only to insulate but also to decorate:

Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:54 am

With heat reduction the first step is reflecting the heat, but if you really want your grey and yellow then there isn't much you can do apart from stopping the sun hitting your walls. White is the colour that is most effective.

With insulation on the inside stopping heat then your best option is to get the 25mm to 75mm PU foam that has aluminium on one side. You will reduce heat coming in in the most cost effective way.

Do not be tempted to use polystyrene foam as you will get all kinds of unwanted things living in it
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:07 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Do not be tempted to use polystyrene foam as you will get all kinds of unwanted things living in it

such as? Once it is in the outside insulation - and if anything will live in - then it will live in the cladding with or without the polystyrene foam - we are in Thailand, aren't we?
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:27 am

Klondyke wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Do not be tempted to use polystyrene foam as you will get all kinds of unwanted things living in it

such as? Once it is in the outside insulation - and if anything will live in - then it will live in the cladding with or without the polystyrene foam - we are in Thailand, aren't we?

Quite a few creatures like PS foam rats are one. Fred had them in his roof insulation. He thought that it would be OK in the garage roof but had to strip it out because of them. AFIK there are no creatures that like PU foam.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Actually, I was thinking on a wall insulation.

As of ceiling, I stayed once in rented house with some kind of a wool insulation placed onto the ceiling. Some kind of rats were there sometime, made use of the wool for their nests, however, not affected us.

But the rats (not really the ground rats, but a kind similar to squirrels - kah-lok) will come under the roof whatever material is there. Especially when you are surrounded by a thick vegetation.
Now, I have a thick plywood ceiling and we hear them sometimes there, sometimes it is took-keh, but it does not make any harm to us.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Just take a look at Lymphocytic choriomeningiti, Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, Leptospirosis, Rat-bite Fever, Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, and bubonic plague then decide that you have no problems with them as your neighbours
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Rudeboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:With heat reduction the first step is reflecting the heat, but if you really want your grey and yellow then there isn't much you can do apart from stopping the sun hitting your walls. White is the colour that is most effective.

With insulation on the inside stopping heat then your best option is to get the 25mm to 75mm PU foam that has aluminium on one side. You will reduce heat coming in in the most cost effective way.

Do not be tempted to use polystyrene foam as you will get all kinds of unwanted things living in it

HI STWW, thanks for the suggestions,

he grey containers may well change colour and white will likely be the colour these will end up, time will tell, not so sure if I'll be able to change the colour of the yellow containers as my wife picked the colour for these :roll:

I read through your build thread and quite impressive it was, can you give me the name of the company that done your spray foam? As i mentioned i have been in contact with a company in BKK but they are asking for a minimum 400k for the job which is just ludicrous, yes the foil backed insulation is another option I will be looking into.

Thanks

Rudi
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Klondyke wrote:
Certainly open to ideas, suggestions on insulation methods

You can use some classic method of additional cladding with an insulation underneath (foam or foils).

Attaching picture of additional outside insulation of a single brick wall exposed to afternoon sunshine: polysterene foam and WPC planks (artificial wood):

And/or inside additional insulation - not only to insulate but also to decorate:

[/quote]

I think the cladding and insulation on the outside is a no go, I have thought about this already but want to keep the container look, due to the containers already having a roof over them insulation for the ceiling should not be needed also don't want to lose ceiling height inside by adding insulation, false ceiling etc, I'm think it would be best to insulate under the main roof with a radiant barrier of some sort.

At the moment the way the containers lie if looking from the front, the right hand side get the sun in the morning (although shaded a little by trees on neighbouring land), then front of containers get some sun all day although in hot season when sun is at it's highest they are mainly shaded by the roof, then left side of containers gets mid / late afternoon sun, rear of containers are in shade all day, for grey containers I may just use some shade cloth going from left of containers to our boundary fence to help with mid/late afternoon sun, morning sun gets the main doors of the grey containers which are constantly open when were onsite so not sure if theirs much I can do about them,

I've certainly got a lot of thinking and experimenting to do but with this only being planned as a kind of getaway / base for when out on ATV's I'm in no great hurry and have plenty time to experiment and try out different methods to see what works best,

I will of course report back here with any methods I try and the results gained.

thanks again for all the suggestions.

Rudi
Last edited by Rudeboy on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudeboy

Next

Return to Your Building Story