truly a cool Thai house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: truly a cool Thai house

Postby mdallass » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am

There's no incoming pipe to suck from the village water supply. Every house has a meter out in front for the flow from stored village water [it is a large lake that fills with the rain water; then village pumps out water, does a simple filtering, and sends it out to each roadway in village]. Hope that is sufficient to stop your badgering about some perceived illegal maneuver {it'd pay to simply ask questions, instead of laying blame when you don't even know the facts, Klondyke}. Our water usage per month is a small 40-80 baht worth of village water; and the village lake retains water throughout the year.

Did have the home completed enough to move in during the latter portion of April. The cool home has never got above 29-30 degrees inside; hence, the previous notation about not needing to operate A/C unit at anytime below a 28 degree setting [inside temp is 26-28 degrees with A/C unit operating]. In our previous rented home, it was very uncomfortable in afternoons, and I'd open A/C unit at 24 degrees. Then feel decently comfortable at 25 or 26 degrees once it cooled off a bit; but home never cooled off after the sun set, as there were serious heat sinks in the walls and the cement pad around home. Even after installing R40 insulation in ceiling, there was not any improvement; so it wasn't just a heat sink problem in the attic. The cool home has some very big wall openings [most of windows/sliding glass doors are 2.2m X 2.4m]; hence, with the addition of an adequately vented attic, it cools off very nicely once the sun sets. Window + door openings can be 90% opened. And the factory affixed assembly of {off white Colorbond metal, polyurethane foam, and foil } works wonders. It was delivered from the Suntech Cooling Roof factory; a big cost break from separately purchasing metal roofing + paying the inflated prices for sprayed on PU foam. And it carries a 30 year warranty [20 years for a Bluescope metal product].
mdallass

Postby Ians » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 am

Why be so < expletive - Mod > ungrateful, Klondyke was passing on the knowledge that in most countries in the modern world, including Thailand - it is illegal to pump from the town mains water supply.
But as you seem to know everything - enjoy your day.
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 pm

mdallass wrote:There's no incoming pipe to suck from the village water supply. Every house has a meter out in front for the flow from stored village water [it is a large lake that fills with the rain water; then village pumps out water, does a simple filtering, and sends it out to each roadway in village]. Hope that is sufficient to stop your badgering about some perceived illegal maneuver {it'd pay to simply ask questions, instead of laying blame when you don't even know the facts, Klondyke}.

It is still an "illegal maneuver" to suck the water directly from the village supply pipe (wherever they take the water from).

As I said, the neighbours may be thankful :D when their water meter is running backwards (nut sure whether it is possible) when you pull the water back from their bath tube (full of dirty water) - once their faucet is prolonged by a rubber hose reaching the water level. Then you can save some money, when their water was added with a bathing salt (or whatever). :P

But some other neighbours will not be so excited once their water pressure sinks to zero, all the water goes to you. :(

Perhaps you should recheck with your puyai baan. :shock: (and bring a bottle of something valuable with you...)
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 pm

mdallass wrote:There's no incoming pipe to suck from the village water supply. Every house has a meter out in front for the flow from stored village water [it is a large lake that fills with the rain water; then village pumps out water, does a simple filtering, and sends it out to each roadway in village].

You say that you don't have an incoming supply from the village but you have a meter and pay for water so I'm not sure what you mean.

If none of your water comes from a community water supply then the following doesn't effect you.

If any of it does and you don't have a tank to isolate your pump from the village water then please read on.

It doesn't matter about where the community water comes from. It is against the law in Thailand as in most countries to suck directly from the community supply.

One of the many reasons that the law prohibits pumping (sucking) directly from the supply (the meter makes no difference you are still pumping directly) is that should there be any break or leak in the supply pipe the sucking action of your pump can easily bring in contaminated water into the supply through the break or leak in the system. You would then potentially contaminate the entire water supply.

I'm sure that the village does not permit animals to contaminate the lake, you don't know if you are sucking excrement or other nasty stuff into the supply.

Water supply systems usually leak a bit but as there is positive pressure they just pump clean water out.

This is the reason that you should have a small tank fed by the village water that you can pump from. You are responsible for your own well and can do what you like with that water.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mdallass » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:10 pm

We have a shut-off valve [actually, several throughout the grounds from the street] from where we pump to home in the back section of property. We can open it, fill the tank once every 4-5 days, and then close valve. That way we don't have water sitting in tank for an extended time frame.

Of course there are animals contaminating the lake; hence the need for several water filtrations.
mdallass

Postby mdallass » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 pm

The pictured water tank below roof in cool home does have a float + auto shut-off sensor for the pump. Same for our high outside tank which stores well water.
mdallass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:34 pm

mdallass wrote:We have a shut-off valve [actually, several throughout the grounds from the street] from where we pump to home in the back section of property. We can open it, fill the tank once every 4-5 days, and then close valve. That way we don't have water sitting in tank for an extended time frame.

Of course there are animals contaminating the lake; hence the need for several water filtrations.

I'm not clear where your pump is placed, in your water supply.

As I understand you have only 1 tank and 1 pump.
1 village supply and 1 well

Shutoff valves don't make much difference in the setup apart from routing
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mdallass » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am

We have 2 high tanks + 2 pumps. One pump for drawing from well; it serves an older home on property, and we have plumbed into that line for a secondary water source [valves at edge of new home can open/close each of the 2 water sources, of course]. This older high tank is placed 2 1/4 meters above the ground, and is exposed to the sun/rain. The 2nd pump is the pictured one which facilitates the filling of the shaded water tank for new cool home; water comes from the village collected rain water drawn from the lake. Having discussed this relevant topic with my wife, she emphatically states that we really don't utilize the pump to fill the shaded tank. She claims the village water is pressurized enough to fill the shaded tank on its own ... it's easy to discard the Thai versions of reality, but I've come to realize over the years that they often have merit. So an ongoing test right now for the next week, with the pump unplugged, to see if in fact we run out of water. The village has given us 1/2 day notice in the past when they plan to turn off the water supply for repairs, etc [and of course we've unplugged the pump at those times]. Wished I had a timing meter on the pump to see how many hours it has logged the past few months ...
mdallass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:31 pm

OK I've got it now, virtually as I thought. With the well pump and tank if it doing what you want it's perfectly acceptable.

If you can fill your roof level tank with the village water pressure that is best.

But where that pump is situated at the moment is not legal. It's also probably not the best pump for the job either, though it will work. A better setup would be to have a float switch in the high level tank so that the pump only comes on when the tank has dropped about 200 litres.

If the village water doesn't have enough pressure to fill your high level tank you can make yourself legal by putting a small buffer tank between the village water and your tank. You probably would not need more than about a 300 litre tank if you fit a float switch, quite possibly smaller if you don't fit the float switch and leave the on demand system you have now.

Here are three versions that are OK none of them show a high level tank, they all show the required buffer tank.

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mdallass » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks Sometimewoodworker,

appreciate your time with the drawings. Our present set-up was installed by the staff from water filter store where we purchased 3 filters; it does in fact have your aforementioned float switch in the high level tank so that the pump only comes on when the tank has dropped about 200 litres. The water filters seem to work fine, as I'm not perturbed by the water. In previous dwelling which had well water plumbed in, my skin didn't like the shower water; hence, I collected a lot of rain water to utilize instead for showers.
mdallass

Postby mdallass » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm

12 days without the pump plugged in, and it's confirmed that we don't utilize it for filling our elevated tank which services new home. Neither the wife nor I had ever heard the pump working after the initial install ... Village water tank is elevated higher than our tank; and luckily our tank never overflows [not too much pressure].
mdallass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 pm

mdallass wrote:12 days without the pump plugged in, and it's confirmed that we don't utilize it for filling our elevated tank which services new home. Neither the wife nor I had ever heard the pump working after the initial install ... Village water tank is elevated higher than our tank; and luckily our tank never overflows [not too much pressure].

You probably already have a standard ball float valve on the inlet, that's why it doesn't overflow. If you don't then it's a simple job to fit one.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to Your Building Story