truly a cool Thai house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

truly a cool Thai house

Postby mdallass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Aaah, the long march is nearing completion. Wan and I instigated the home build here with some basic requirements: a resilient structure for the upcoming 30 years; unique cool home with passive features; adorably appealing and functional.

Transitioned through 3 builders, the final one working alone to provide higher quality [painfully slow, however]. Was blessed with invaluable guidance via countless consultations with Brian J., Utah. Thanks; and thanks also to Ron V. + Pat M., Washington. Also appreciated input from Sunil, Art, Johann, Les, and Barney here.

Needed to prevent sun exposure on all walls; hence, huge overhangs on E-S-W are pictured. Was able to achieve a very strong foundation, fit for an upper level. Strong steel trusses support the Australian designed off-white standing seam Colorbond metal roof. Polyurethane foam and foil were factory affixed, and the assembly has a 30 year warranty (assembly pic enclosed; the white metal can reflect up to 90% of sun's rays). Home has an open truss design -walls are extended up to the roof plane + soffit was omitted. Enclosed pic details the wall extension -there's 60 screen windows in upper portion of walls to allow for supreme attic ventilation. Additional netting on outside of screens should prevent birds from nesting. Thermal envelope placed at ceiling level. Purchased the very best paint, a 15 year warranty [but may get 20 years, as our walls are not exposed to the sun]. All windows are open swing design, allowing for ~90% of the window space to be opened [in lieu of the typical 50% opening space for sliders]. Water filtration system is fitted, along with a shaded water tank. Tiled porch and balcony. Ceiling fans throughout.

Kitchen and bathroom are most important for appeal. Purchased the best quality cabinets; Thai granite for bath counter, and Italian marble for kitchen counter tops + island. Additional features include tiled bath walls + floor, upgraded bath tub + sink, raised glass shower enclosure, inlaid Italian touch screen range, Italian oven + kitchen sink. Had previously purchased some paintings + a set of matching wood furniture 4 years ago {bedroom, dining, living room, desk pictured}.
Attachments
100_5499.JPG
100_5498.JPG
100_5497.JPG
100_5496.JPG
100_5472.JPG
^914146FB025BC0C3A785367CF29F68ED7071EC834294BE84F6^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
100_5452.JPG
mdallass

Re: truly a cool Thai house

Postby mdallass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 pm

more pic's
Attachments
100_5509.JPG
100_5528.JPG
100_5527.JPG
100_5520.JPG
100_5516.JPG
100_5519.JPG
100_5501.JPG
mdallass

Postby mdallass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:18 pm

more pic's #2
Attachments
100_5529.JPG
100_5488.JPG
100_5525.JPG
100_5521.JPG
100_5508.JPG
100_5511.JPG
100_5510.JPG
mdallass

Postby mdallass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:22 pm

more pic's #3
Attachments
100_5495.JPG
100_5494.JPG
100_5493.JPG
100_5492.JPG
100_5491.JPG
100_5531.JPG
100_5530.JPG
mdallass

Postby mdallass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:28 pm

more pic's #4
Attachments
100_5523.JPG
100_5516.JPG
100_5515.JPG
100_5514.JPG
100_5513.JPG
100_5506.JPG
100_5505.JPG
mdallass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 am

I've got a few questions.

I noticed that you have a water tank above the ceiling level and assume that it's so you still have water flow when there is a power cut.

1) Is that why it's there?

2) What kind of water flow do you get when there's a power cut?

3) Assuming that you use a pump from the thank (not to it, because I'm pretty sure you have to use one to fill it) which pump do you use and do you have any comments about it.

I'm asking as we will have the same arrangement but haven't bought pumps yet.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mdallass » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:53 pm

We have our water tank appropriately placed to ensure good water flow into the home at any time, power or no power. And I wanted nice, cool water [one of my disappointments living in rentals before was only having disgusting hot water in the late afternoons to evenings]. Also, we can park underneath the East overhang where the water tank is placed. Hence, with a power cut the flow is the same. Our tank size allows for enough water storage to easily last 4-5 days for us 2 individuals. There is certainly no need for any water pump from the tank. We utilize a compatible Mitsubishi WP-85Q5 water pump to fill the high water tank; there are 2 sediment filters that clean the village collected rain water prior to storage. When we choose, we can also plug in our UV unit and provide additional cleansing as water flows from the tank into the cool home. The water tank is the best available here from HomePro --silver + antimicrobial ... hope that helps.
mdallass

Postby Ians » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Have you taken any measurements throughout the day to compare inside to outside temperatures?
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am

mdallass wrote: We utilize a compatible Mitsubishi WP-85Q5 water pump to fill the high water tank; there are 2 sediment filters that clean the village collected rain water prior to storage. .

Do you have a storage tank filled by the village water where the pump is taking from? Otherwise, a pump sucking directly from the village system is illegal.
Last edited by Sometimewoodworker on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <The double post has been deleted - Mod>
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 pm

mdallass wrote:We have our water tank appropriately placed to ensure good water flow into the home at any time, power or no power. And I wanted nice, cool water [one of my disappointments living in rentals before was only having disgusting hot water in the late afternoons to evenings]. Also, we can park underneath the East overhang where the water tank is placed. Hence, with a power cut the flow is the same. Our tank size allows for enough water storage to easily last 4-5 days for us 2 individuals. There is certainly no need for any water pump from the tank. We utilize a compatible Mitsubishi WP-85Q5 water pump to fill the high water tank; there are 2 sediment filters that clean the village collected rain water prior to storage. When we choose, we can also plug in our UV unit and provide additional cleansing as water flows from the tank into the cool home. The water tank is the best available here from HomePro --silver + antimicrobial ... hope that helps.

It certainly helps. Do you have electric showers?
I can easily believe it is enough pressure for other uses but am surprised if it's enough for a shower.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:It certainly helps. Do you have electric showers?
I can easily believe it is enough pressure for other uses but am surprised if it's enough for a shower.

Assuming from the pictures, the tank is about 1.80~2 meters high. So there's a 2 meter water-column.
Looks like it sits approximately 1 meter above the shower-outlet, so you have a water column of 3 meters.
Just google for Hydrostatic conversion table and you'll find that a 3 meter water column translates to 0.3 Bar ~ 4.3 PSI.

Typical shower head requires about 8 PSI minimum, but there might be low-pressure heads going below that.
Still, I would not expect a shower to work 'properly' as in giving a nice massaging spray of water, especially if using one of those rain-heads..
My house has the same idea, with the tank on top of a tower, but I've added a solar panel and a 12v booster pump which gives me around 60 PSI into the house.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby mdallass » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Yes, I have thermometers inside and out; amazing how cool the home stays. No sun exposure on any walls or steps; and no sun exposure on any of the concrete pad {utilized gravel instead of cement around the perimeter}. Even back in the April-May heat, I did not operate the A/C unit below 28 degrees. In previous living accommodations, it was apparent that the walls and pad were a heat sink [those previous homes did not cool off once the sun set].

The shower is in close proximity to the water tank, and we get delightful water pressure for showers. It is not electric.

No, we don't have a secondary storage tank filled by village water. We are charged monthly for all the water usage -home and gardens. Nothing illegal at all. In addition we have a well; so 2 water sources are plumbed to edge of home where we have valves.
mdallass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 pm

mdallass wrote:Yes, I have thermometers inside and out; amazing how cool the home stays. No sun exposure on any walls or steps; and no sun exposure on any of the concrete pad {utilized gravel instead of cement around the perimeter}. Even back in the April-May heat, I did not operate the A/C unit below 28 degrees. In previous living accommodations, it was apparent that the walls and pad were a heat sink [those previous homes did not cool off once the sun set].

The shower is in close proximity to the water tank, and we get delightful water pressure for showers. It is not electric.

No, we don't have a secondary storage tank filled by village water. We are charged monthly for all the water usage -home and gardens. Nothing illegal at all. In addition we have a well; so 2 water sources are plumbed to edge of home where we have valves.

Thanks for that, so you do not have hot water showers?

If you are pumping directly from the village water supply that is both illegal and potentially dangerous. From your own well that is no problem, but from the village supply there are quite a number of problems it can create including contamination of the entire village water supply.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Kolac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 am

what's the difference in the temperature?
Kolac

Postby Klondyke » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 am

the entire village water supply

will be very thankful to you when you suck the water from their incoming pipe empty, so they will have not much pressure or no water at all.

A simple remedy would be to bring the village water direct to your tank in the height - in case the water pressure is enough over the night. Then your pump can suck from that tank. At a power supply outage you can bypass the pump by a suitable valves arrangement.

If the water does not reach your tank in the height you should install a simple tank on the ground level, ca. 1,000 L filled by the village water. Then your pump can take the water from there. It enables you to install a simple water heater (ca. 2,000B) for a convenient showering during winter time and to get a pressure enough for spraying your garden and wash the car. Then the tank in the height can be used in case of power supply outage.

I do not believe that a special coating of the tank will kill bacterias enough when the water stays in tank without much movement over longer time period. More secure is to add a spoon of chlorine in the tank every week or so.
Klondyke

Next

Return to Your Building Story