Building In Khon Kaen

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building In Khon Kaen

Postby sirineou » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 pm

To give credit where credit is due, I have learn most of the things I know about building in Thailand from this forum and it's members.
I will try to return the favor by documenting my building experience.

The lot is relatively small, about 18m wide and 25m deep so I chose a design that fit the lot, maximise it's use, and fit the environment.
This is a video of the same house some one else has build, we plan to maintain the same color scheme, with some modifications.

We are not very materialistic, and like functionality and low maintenance. So with that in mind, we have reversed the plan moving the balcony to the inside of the property, made the balcony and guest bedroom ,5M bigger, eliminated the Buddha room, eliminated rear stairwell, balcony and moved the master bedroom bath downstairs, making the master bedroom larger.
Added a door from the master bedroom to the bathroom between bedrooms for easy access.
I am a beer drinker, and I am lazy, and as we all know you don't buy beer you rent it, and running upstairs to the bathroom every five min would be a hassle to say the least , so a bathroom downstairs. have not decided yet, but I might add another room downstairs. I know it is a lot easier now, and less expensive, but I would like to leave a project for me to keep me busy when I retire in a couple of years.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Re: Building In Khon Kaen

Postby sirineou » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:08 pm

I have being copying this Generic text from another forum where I am also posting this build. I ams sure the two will diverge as soon as questions are asked and comments are made.

A few years ago I fenced the property and posted the process at:http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3288
While away I asked my Fil ( unexpectedly passed away last year a great guy, I miss him terribly RIP) to put some dirt at the rear where it sloped down by a couple of feet, when I came back he had put several trucks of dirt , elevating the whole lot by ,5, and reducing my 1m fence height to half black mark on the fence was where the dirt was up to.
download.png

Fil. ment good, but I paid to put in dirt, and then had to pay to take it away. LOL, no problem small money as wife will say.
and started with driving 6 m Piles.
First challenge,. After driving first 3 piles 2-3 m we hit bedrock, I guess bedrock is a good thing. We did not want to have to trim and throw out so much Pile so we ordered to exchange them for 4m piles.and will continue today.
I am going back to the states tomorrow, and we lill continue with the build after Buddhist lent when they can bless the foundation and kiss my money away. LOL.
Wife will come back to supervise the rest of the build, I know I should be here, and I wish I could but unfortunately work does not allow me. If I have a chance I will pop over for a week. But with 24 hr traveling times , not very viable.
So let's keep our fingers crossed.
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Dook, the builder text me that he was ordering the steel to start making the column, foundation and footing cages . I asked what size rebar he was ordering , he replied as per plan and send me copies of the plan I left him.
A pleasure to work with a builder that can read plans.
It calls for 16mm rebar for the most part except In the first plan where circled in red and it calls for 12mm. I asked and were told it was the second floor columns.
I guess the second floor columns could have a lighter gage steel since they only support the roof, But IMO steel and concrete is not the place to go cheap, so I asked and he agreed to replace it with 16 mm steel.
S-04-page-001 dook.jpg
Attachments
S-06-page-001 (1).jpg
S-05-page-001.jpg
S-03-page-001.jpg
S-02-page-001.jpg
S-01-page-001.jpg
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Raining now and the building site is a mudbath. Nothing is happening until after the rains.
Will update then.
Best Regards
Steve
sirineou

Postby Patchanuty » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 pm

It's pretty much I want to do it after I do not know how much money it takes.
Patchanuty

Return to Your Building Story