Building in Phayao

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Phayao

Postby Saffles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:33 am

Yes, waiting on new builder quotes.

Has anyone had things shipped by Thai trucking companies. Not the product vendor arranging the shipping but of hiring a flatbed or tractor trailer and having them pick up stuff for you?

I assigned my wife to hunt down trucking companies... But she is working in "Thai Time"...

Mark
Saffles

Postby Klondyke » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:03 am

There are plenty transport companies everywhere, surely in Phayao. For a transport among large cities there is a big company Nim See Seng. The best to ask in that company you want to buy from who they use, once they do not do it on their own. If you buy metal sheets from BK they have their own trucks, as I remarked before. Otherwise, as usually in Thailand it need asking, word of mouth.
Klondyke

Postby Saffles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks. I was just thinking that maybe could have a company pick up from a couple of places and bring here. I noticed that material costs are much cheaper for some items that I would be using, around BKK. If worth it maybe could be a good project.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Had a good day in Chiang Rai getting prices.

First talked to the Bluescope dealer and they could get the Colorbond roof I want for 295 (with 5mm PE insulation) delivered to the job site...net. Color and profile had been a problem but is sorted now (and for now).

Went to Global House and talked to the manager. She really wants the business and started talking discounts and free delivery to Phayao (it is about 80 km to the house site). Will give them a supply list when get the new BOQ.

Global House is supposed to be building a branch in Phayao. They bought the land but there seems to be some problems with land titles. I am sure if they were opening about the time we start building then the "grand opening" discounts would be decent.

By contrast Thai Watsadu seemed not too interested. But I did not get to see the manager. (Their "list" price was higher also)

Anyway... A good day.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Saffles wrote:Had a good day in Chiang Rai getting prices.

First talked to the Bluescope dealer and they could get the Colorbond roof I want for 295 (with 5mm PE insulation) delivered to the job site...net. Color and profile had been a problem but is sorted now (and for now).

Anyway... A good day.

Mark

Which profile are you going for?
Here is a reasonable comprehensive list http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/product/lists/1/Products-7
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Which profile are you going for?

I believe it is 760B

I not look at number at shop, I was looking actual piece. Has round profile.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Met with various builders... Decided to go with the one who built SIL's house. He made it five years ago and it is quite comfortable, except for the CPAC roof.

After much negotiations we came up with prices as follows:

8981 baht per square meter for the 167 meters of main floor plus doing the "basement" at no additional charge. The basement is a little over 100 meters. This includes the proper retaining walls (L-shape), concrete slab floor, some lights, and the three additional meters of columns. He will do roof rafters and I will have the metal roof put on.

5000 baht per square meter for the veranda (80 sq mt). This includes all flooring, ceiling work, railing, stairs, finishes, etc., I supply the roof.

2381 per sq meter for the carport (42 sq mt). He does all but the metal roof.

Total I have about 400 meters under roof and it will cost an even 2,000,000... Plus my roof cost (@ 300 per sq meter).

I think a good day!

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Went by the metal roof company...

Last week I gave them the house plans to figure the roof. Today I picked up their quote. It was very detailed being many pages long and showing all the various lengths of roofing I will need. But, the amount was 544 meters! For 167 + 80 + 42 sq meters of area under the roofing (plus a few meters here or there for overhangs + plus slope, which is low). Surprised me.

According to the misses, they said the cost is per running meter not sq. meter. The sheet is 75 cm wide. That added about 33% to my roof cost. I also have a ridiculous amount of flashings... I think my flashing costs are more than most roofs. Oops! My mistake for designing an Italian villa. :lol:

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Saffles wrote:Went by the metal roof company...

Last week I gave them the house plans to figure the roof. Today I picked up their quote. It was very detailed being many pages long and showing all the various lengths of roofing I will need. But, the amount was 544 meters! For 167 + 80 + 42 sq meters of area under the roofing (plus a few meters here or there for overhangs + plus slope, which is low). Surprised me.

According to the misses, they said the cost is per running meter not sq. meter. The sheet is 75 cm wide. That added about 33% to my roof cost. I also have a ridiculous amount of flashings... I think my flashing costs are more than most roofs. Oops! My mistake for designing an Italian villa. :lol:

Mark

It sounds as if it could be worth your while talking to steel and solar for a second quote, as though you will have to add transportation from Bangkok their prices are per square metre & as I mentioned I think your roof could be big enough for them to fit it as well.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Jerome,

I am a little confused about Steel & Solar's product. They say on their web site:

"SSR is the manufacturer, distribution and installation services about Metal Sheet Roofing under the trademark "ROLLFORM"."

They are not Bluescope Colorbond dealer? I find no references to Bluescope or Colorbond on the site. I know your receipt/quote showed Bluescope Colorbond. Maybe they stopped and are making their own now? I will call them.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm

The girl at SSR did say they had Bluescope products, including Colorbond. Strange not on web site...

Mark

Ps... Ahhh hidden in the spec sheets they make reference to Bluescope.
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Saffles wrote:Jerome,

I am a little confused about Steel & Solar's product. They say on their web site:

"SSR is the manufacturer, distribution and installation services about Metal Sheet Roofing under the trademark "ROLLFORM"."

They are not Bluescope Colorbond dealer? I find no references to Bluescope or Colorbond on the site. I know your receipt/quote showed Bluescope Colorbond. Maybe they stopped and are making their own now? I will call them.

Mark

Well you must have missed the detail on many pages
"BlueScope G300 (มีค่า Yield Strength ไม่ต่ำกว่า 300 MPa)"
"BlueScope G550 (มีค่า Yield Strength ไม่ต่ำกว่า 550 MPa)"
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:03 pm

A few hospital days...now back to fun stuff!!

I had asked a local window guy about double glazed windows and he sent request to his glass supplier and they sent him a sample. I got it from him today.

The glass for a normal 120 cm x 100 cm window is around 300 baht (give or take). The double was 1500. About 10 baht per cm difference. Seems like a very inexpensive way to keep cooler and quieter.

The glass is comprised of two Low E 6mm glass with a 9 mm airspace. Is this adequate?

Mark
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Saffles wrote:The glass is comprised of two Low E 6mm glass with a 9 mm airspace. Is this adequate?

I would say yes, but did they stipulate what is between the two panes of glass in the form of gas, and if they are filled with gas, just make sure the rubber seals are adequate for a tropical climate as well.
It is a cheap price to pay for quiet and I would have gone that route but at the time there was only one German manufacturer and they only did high rise buildings and the cost was five times what you are paying.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:... the cost was five times what you are paying.

RR,

I remember reading various pages about the high prices never really saw any price on what was considered "high". Yes, I think this is quite reasonable.

Not sure if Argon gas or just air. Either way it is much more desirable.

Mark

PS. Is it flooding down there?
Saffles

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story