Building in Phayao

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Phayao

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Engineer called, everything finished by Tuesday !

Till then, still sorting out some pricing. The only two things I am not sure of is the labor costs for working the steel roof frame and for concrete. Also how much rebar per meter is used in the various concretes (floor, beams, etc.)?

Thanks,

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Saffles wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:You have been badly misinformed there are several profiles, thickness and colours available in Colourbond, certainly you can buy direct from the factory, and depending on the area of your roof they may even install it for you, at your cost of course, we did, they did.

Thanks Jerome,

Was just trying to get some pricing info while waiting on the engineer. Phayao is a very nice province for living but quite backward with new things. AAC block use is very rare and metal roofs have just started.

What thickness did you go with?

Mark

IMG_1683-2.jpeg
286 Baht per square meter + VAT
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks very much.

I will call Bluescope directly after I get the plans from the engineer Tuesday.
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Taking a few hours off of sourcing... as Immigration Police came by for a visit. We decided I would get a marriage visa and this is part of the routine? They had neighbors come and talk to them to see if I was a trouble-maker or not. I have not heard of this before. Anyway, they all love me. Even the family dog was well behaved!

Phayao can do all the paperwork but they have to send it to Chiang Mai.
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Colors, colors, and more colors.

Thanks to Pipoz for mentioning colors of render paint to me. After talking with wife she is not certain if we should do the white roof and gray exterior. We got the Jotun (and others) color sheets and she is going crazy with the choices. I thought we had this settled but now a can of worms is opened... she takes 30 minutes to buy shampoo at Lotus, and it is always the same one!! Thanks Pipoz!! Haha. (joking...appreciated). At least she does not want orange and pink combos.

I am 60% settled on white and gray. Maybe some gray-ish slate rock used as trim for the house and various fence/walls. Any Chiang Rai people know a good rock supplier or rock masons?

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Got This info off a building/engineer Q & A site for concrete. Amount of steel per cu meter of concrete. Look about right?

Footing - 80 kg/cumec
column - 160 kg/ cumec
Beam - 110 kg/ cumec
slab - 80 kg / cumec

Mark
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Saffles wrote:Colors, colors, and more colors.

Thanks to Pipoz for mentioning colors of render paint to me. After talking with wife she is not certain if we should do the white roof and gray exterior. We got the Jotun (and others) color sheets and she is going crazy with the choices. I thought we had this settled but now a can of worms is opened... she takes 30 minutes to buy shampoo at Lotus, and it is always the same one!! Thanks Pipoz!! Haha. (joking...appreciated). At least she does not want orange and pink combos.

I am 60% settled on white and gray. Maybe some gray-ish slate rock used as trim for the house and various fence/walls. Any Chiang Rai people know a good rock supplier or rock masons?

Mark

My TG wanted to add some color to the outside walls so she started with painting the Verandah ceiling trim, a darker grey, like my gutter fascia board. She is still thinking about adding some stone trim to the base of the walls

I let her pick the color for the front fence wall and was waiting to see a pink or bright blue. I was extremely happy when she picked an eggshell color. Page 57 of my build. So I didn't argue one bit,

That Evening Shadow color that I used on the walls looks more White during the day, but in the late afternoon dusk particularly if it is overcast, it takes on a more subdued different color, more an off white-beige. That when my TG said she liked it

pipoz
Attachments
Painted Verandah Ceiling Trim.JPG
Painted Verandah Ceiling Trim
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Pipoz,

You color combo is quite appealing.

Sherwin Williams as an app to do colors. Got it last night and have been playing. If anyone interested it is called ColorSnap.

Mark
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 am

Re. Pipoz,

If not for my medical condition I would be there in a heartbeat! Love the Ducati. I still have in the States my Yamaha Superbike FZR750 RR 0W01 that I used to race and a matching FZR 400 used for endurance races... And the original Honda CBR900 RR. Oh, and a super fun Honda XR600 that can climb trees.

Hopefully I can recover and ride wild again. Keep the bike!!

I learnt the hard way, that there is a time to give up riding the super bikes and that is when " your ambition exceeds your ability" :oops:

I still have the bikes, but they will be hung on a wall just like a Rembrandt :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 pm

pipoz wrote:
I still have the bikes, but they will be hung on a wall just like a Rembrandt :lol:

pipoz

I always thought that modern motorcycles are a work of art. If I had my way my living room would have Ducati, MV Agusta and other assorted bikes on displays.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Wasted days and how to TRY to make something out of them...

There were a couple of things that I had looked forward to for this week, a visit with my kidney transplant doctor in Chiang Mai and getting the final plans from the engineer. Both were disappointing.

My wife was going to be my donor and her tests results showed we were compatible. She started the detailed tests. Three weeks ago she had a renal scan (one of the final steps in pre-transplant procedures) and they would not give result, had to see doctor. Not a good omen... First appointment available (they only work Mondays) was three weeks later, which was yesterday. Phayao is about a two to three hour drive from Chiang Mai...morning traffic pushes it to three. Got to hospital ar 8:30 and... Wait...wait...wait. Doctor never showed up! Or call to say he not coming. At 11:00 I was fed up and had wife demand to know what was going on. The nurse started telling other patients to see another doctor. Other doctors refused to see us and I had the wife ask what the report said. Without details it seems too much risk for my wife to give kidney. I will not put her health at risk. Just continue dialysis till I succumb.

Leaving the hospital I decided that I would look at some shops around Chiang Mai... Specifically C.M. Stone to get a price on different rock surfaces. Granite started at 600 baht per meter and up...up...and up. Slate was 7 baht per kilo for rough pieces and I think 400-500 per meter for cut bricks. I was thinking of doing the upper house in rock and matching it on the fence walls and entrance gate. Here in Phayao the prices are about three times that much.

Other big wait... Engineer supposed to be finished on Tuesday!!

Made appointment to see engineer to get all the plans. A quick disclosure...the engineer is the son of a builder and I think he is quite good. Got the engineer's drawings and his father was there to give his pricing for various parts of the build. No BOQ. After seeing the prices were extremely high I demanded a detailed BOQ showing EVERYTHING, down to the last screw. Will get Saturday. Just a quick calculation found he was a minimum of one million too high.

Example: the "basement" -- he had a retaining wall around the entire footprint of the house build, not taking into consideration that it was a "daylight" basement and half of it was at ground level. And that he was calculating footings and saus for the retaining walls twice. I only have about 30-40 meters of retaining wall needed... He had 287!! At 3000 baht per meter that was an extra 750,000.

My outdoor patio is 80 square meters and carport 42 ... He was about 900,000 for those...

I did take the plans to my local Bluescope dealer...oh, yes I had found one that seems to be quite knowledgable... And they will see about the details and give pricing soon. The roof looks very complicated from the engineer.

Time to start talking to the plethora of builders who have approached me in the last two years.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Met with Bluescope dealer...

Seems my house will be about 450 sq meters of roofing. Have to recalculate those numbers...

They can get Colorbond .50 in white with the PU foam installed for 390 baht per meter.
Zacs 90 in .40 is 180 per meter with PE foam sheet attached.

Roof framing about 375 per meter.

Mark
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Saffles wrote:Met with Bluescope dealer...

Seems my house will be about 450 sq meters of roofing. Have to recalculate those numbers...

They can get Colorbond .50 in white with the PU foam installed for 390 baht per meter.
Zacs 90 in .40 is 180 per meter with PE foam sheet attached.

Roof framing about 375 per meter.

Mark

Hi Mark

With the PU Foam Insulation on the back of the roof sheets, you might want to check how combustible/flammable it is and what it gives off in the event of a fire. Maybe get a sample of it and put a Match to it, to see if it burns and at what rate. :D

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 pm

pipoz wrote:
Hi Mark

With the PU Foam Insulation on the back of the roof sheets, you might want to check how combustible/flammable it is and what it gives off in the event of a fire. Maybe get a sample of it and put a Match to it, to see if it burns and at what rate. :D

pipoz

Thanks, had not thought of that. It does burn according to what I have read and watched on YouTube.

What are the chances of a fire in a steel framed, metal roof house?

Mark
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Saffles wrote:
pipoz wrote:
Hi Mark

pipoz

Thanks, had not thought of that. It does burn according to what I have read and watched on YouTube.

What are the chances of a fire in a steel framed, metal roof house?

Mark

Humm,

Possibly electrical in roof space, given the way the Thai electrician wires, with the odd rat chewing on it at night :lol:

Bet they didn't think of this when they built it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzA3RzJ6wyM
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story