Building in Phayao

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Phayao

Postby Saffles » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi All,

I did the introduction of my wife and I and now will start our building process story. I hope it is entertaining.

For several years my wife and I was looking at land in various parts of Thailand to make a house that we would live in forever. We looked at many places and decided we like the North best. Her family is from Phayao and we used that as a base to look around. All the surroundings provinces were explored and each time we cast off possibilities for various reasons.

One winter the wife came to Thailand, from China, with instructions to find something. But what she saw was little to no good. When I came in January 2015 we spent a lot of time looking together. I had a four week work break (Chinese New Year and such) and after three weeks were about to give up. One morning I suggested another try and we hopped on the motorbike and I asked her, "which direction?". She pointed left so I went right. (My wife always gets lost, ever since our first meeting 15 years ago).

We turned down a small village and the road opened up to a very curvy nice road following a river through rice land. The views were amazing with the mountains framing the valley. The ride alone was worth the trip. After a few km I spotted a giant wood sign that said land for sale in Thai (I know the letters for sale). It was rice paddy land. She called the number and the owners lived in the adjacent house. They came over quickly and gave information on the land. They said about 7 rai and gave their price. The wife had no idea where we were and asked them the address and village. It was a few hundred meters from where she grew up! I thought it was near the old village that I had been to a few times as I could see the temple in the background. She had no clue...haha...as I said, directionally challenged.

While she was talking I had been exploring and stepped off the land. I guessed more than 7 rai. I came back and they had given her a price and I gave a counter offer. I said that was my first, last, and only price. I told them I would give them cash tomorrow and I was soon leaving to China. After some pleasantries we left. My wife was thinking I should be flexible but I was settled. That night they called and accepted. A few days of legalities ensued and the land was registered in my wife's name. The land office also had me sign on the deed; not sure what that was about. Oh, the land was almost exactly 7.5 rai confirmed by the land office's new survey.
Saffles

Re: Building in Phayao

Postby Saffles » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 pm

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the land... The first pic I outlined the boundary. Second photo shows true north. The village of my wife's childhood is north.

On the south side is a pond, about two rai. It originally was less than half the size but I increased it when we brought in dirt. The original road to the property came in about in the middle of where the pond is. I changed it to come in from the smaller road on the east side, so the house will face east and the back will have views of the high mountains.

The land was rice paddy land so we had to bring in a lot of dirt to build it up. This was done in January 2016. I believe it was about 2100 small dump trucks in total. They were busy for a couple of weeks. The dirt was very good as it was taken from nearby farms and compacted very nicely. It is very hard.

The house will sit in the middle of the property about 40 meters off the side road. About where the brown spot is.

Oh, the big building area just east of our property was supposed to be a temple being built by a Malaysian group. They had raised their land many meters (maybe 7) and put in the concrete... I heard ran out of money. It blocks some of my view to the east. I hope a freak accident does not happen and it goes away. Haha

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 pm

image.jpeg

Found this photo on Google Earth of the land before we filled it.
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am

Welcome Mark.

If you are putting in pad foundations then you will probably have to go down to the original land level. We didn't as our fill was about 7 years old when we built.

I assume you aren't building on the area showing as a pond as that would need quite deep piles.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks Jerome,

The engineer is still working on the plans but we originally intended to raise the house 1.2 meters and I assume he was going to do pads. I have since requested that we raise the house 3 meters and use the space underneath for storage. That space will be a slab on ground I guess. We will wall in this part and use more dirt to slope up to the first floor on the front and north side of the house and slope down on the south side, making sort of a daylight basement. Except there will not be windows, just an entry door for storage. Not sure how he will do the foundation. Should have the plans in two weeks.

I have been concerned about doing this with the weight of the dirt on the lower walls. I am thinking the slope would take away a lot of the stress, but I not know. If anyone has done this I would appreciate their experiences.

The house will sit in the middle of the land, a good 40-50 meters from the water. I am thinking a water sala later.

Mark
Saffles

Postby schuimpge » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

You'll need a retaining wall if you're filling up one side.
schuimpge

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Yes, I was thinking that... Maybe pour a concrete wall? Anyone have pricing for a three meter wall?

I will wait to see what the engineer has planned.

Thanks,

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Saffles wrote:Yes, I was thinking that... Maybe pour a concrete wall? Anyone have pricing for a three meter wall?

I will wait to see what the engineer has planned.

Thanks,

Mark

Don't forget that there is a big difference between a retaining wall and a wall. Just making the wall stronger is not enough it has to be correctly designed and needs to be "L" shaped with the earth sitting in the bottom of the L .
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am

Yes, I have been reading various building stories and wall construction pages. Just wondering if solid concrete better... And if much price difference.
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Have the preliminary scetches of the house design and of the original I took my ideas from.

It is Italian Tuscan design, one story, with high high roof. I shrunk the exterior dimensions some and made the interior to my liking (open floor plan). There are three bedrooms and two baths, with a half bath in the laundry room. Also there is a small office. The master bedroom has a large (2 x 4.5 meter) walk in closet.

There will be a veranda around the outside that is 4.5 meters wide and 14 meters on the back and 3.5 meters on the south side. It will be 3 meters off the ground. All is covered by a white Colorbond roof. I thinking of doing the colors in whites and grays.
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Saffles wrote:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Have the preliminary scetches of the house design and of the original I took my ideas from.

It is Italian Tuscan design, one story, with high high roof. I shrunk the exterior dimensions some and made the interior to my liking (open floor plan). There are three bedrooms and two baths, with a half bath in the laundry room. Also there is a small office. The master bedroom has a large (2 x 4.5 meter) walk in closet.

There will be a veranda around the outside that is 4.5 meters wide and 14 meters on the back and 3.5 meters on the south side. It will be 3 meters off the ground. All is covered by a white Colorbond roof. I thinking of doing the colors in whites and grays.

Nice, but you might have trouble getting that aged/heritage look on the render, in Thailand, I mean finding the correct product.

Initially with my build I was looking to get that look on my exterior rendered walls and had planned to use a Jotun - Jotashield Heritage Antique Fine Texture Finish, with a matt glaze. But just couldn't find it in the Thai shops. I ended up settling for the Jotashield Extreme Paint in a Matt Finish

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Pipoz,

Thanks for mentioning that. We have not really started looking at finishes yet...we need to start! Did you go with "Old Lace"?

I am not sure about renders and/or paints; can the same be applied onto the render of AAC blocks as opposed to the concrete blocks?

Mark
Saffles

Postby pipoz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Saffles wrote:Hi Pipoz,

Thanks for mentioning that. We have not really started looking at finishes yet...we need to start! Did you go with "Old Lace"?

I am not sure about renders and/or paints; can the same be applied onto the render of AAC blocks as opposed to the concrete blocks?

Mark

Sorry , I am not sure what you mean by "Old Lace"

The Jotashield Heritage Antique Fine Texture Finish, that I was referring to, is a standard Jotun product out of a tin, and it is a roll on application. It can give you that non uniform, a bit of a weathered look. This Jotashield is just applied to any rendered surface, like a normal paint. Its just thicker than paint.

Hope this explains it better

Anyway, I haven't seen it sold in Thailand

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Pipoz,

I was looking on the Jotun website at their color charts. Your house color looked like the "Old Lace" color.

Thanks for the information. Where I am from we do not do a lot of render.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

It has been raining quite a bit across Thailand and Phayao is no exception. Weeds are loving it it looks like!

A month ago we had a landscaping company come in and plant some palm and coconut trees around the pond. My original idea was to make a tropical-like beach with the trees being in the background, for effect. Four coconut and eight palm. Maybe change the overall plan, flip flopping. But I like the trees!

image.jpeg

Also had her plant about 500 bougainvillea (phungfaa) on the pond's back wall.

image.jpeg

Last year when the wife and I were in China we had the wife's sister get a company to do the fence for us. Concrete posts with six strings of horizontal barb wire and one diagonal string. I really not like having solid walls surrounding me... Feels like being trapped. After long thoughts of different designs we thought this was best. The barb wire plus a thick hedge covering it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The corners on this wall will be replaced with a solid wall,which will lead to the gate. It will be offset about ten meters from the road. The hedge is a Thai bush that is very thick. It will be difficult for animals or people to get through. The bushes started out very small, barely 10 cm. Sister has them planted almost a year ago. They should be covering the entire fence in another year. I trimmed them once and need to do again.

image.jpeg

Two weeks ago I had them come and and plant 25 fruit trees... They are so small! I wanted just citrus fruits, as they are colorful and nice to look at, but the wife insisted on a lot of Thai fruits as well. As in any marriage she wins. I did get ten citrus though.

The ditches will be part of a French drain system I am trying to make. It would be so much easier if drain pipe was readily available. I did find one company in BKK but the price was quiet high. I guess will just make our own.

After rice season is over we will be getting a lot more dirt, maybe 1000 more trucks, to raise the land a little more and to get ready for the house build. There will be additional three meter slope up to the house front.

I have been reading the build stories and feel we have done quite a bit and not spent too much. I know the fence guys must have made a mistake and will give them some business somehow and let them make additional profit. The plants and trees were very reasonable. Total was 6000 bushes, 500 bougainvillea, and 37 various trees. Oh, and the 2100 trucks of dirt.
Saffles

Next

Return to Your Building Story