New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun May 14, 2017 11:48 pm

RETRO: You can see in the first pic in the May 11 post the rebar for the second stage of the footing. This was poured soon after and I was in a hurry to cover it and wet the fill to stop moisture loss from the freshly poured concrete in the 35 deg+ heat. Consequently I missed getting pics showing the horizontal section of the L shaped footing - something that I know is of interest to Sometimes Woodworker.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 am

Hi are you going to render your columns or just leave them as with the "Off Form" finished concrete look

pipoz
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Mon May 15, 2017 5:24 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi are you going to render your columns or just leave them as with the "Off Form" finished concrete look

pipoz

I will end up rendering them as there is some exposed aggregate at a couple of corners. Purely cosmetic.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Thu May 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Have had the formwork in place for the rest of the columns for a week. Six inches of rain last Saturday morning, and it's rained every day since. Silver lining is the moisture retention in the concrete we have already poured, enhancing the curing process.
ajarnudon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Have had the formwork in place for the rest of the columns for a week. Six inches of rain last Saturday morning, and it's rained every day since. Silver lining is the moisture retention in the concrete we have already poured, enhancing the curing process.

I bought old sacks and cut them so they wrapped around the columns and had one of the workers wet them down three or four times a day. The slower the cure, the stronger the final result. By the end of a month they should be at maximum strength (for a month's slow cure) and it gives great peace of mind later, especially when you read about all the tremors that are occurring.
Roger Ramjet

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:36 pm

We've made a good deal of progress in the last couple of weeks with a bit of dry weather. The south and west (back) wall are 90 % complete, and foundations/footing for the north wall have been poured. Formwork in place for the pouring of posts in the north wall tomorrow.
Great wall of Udon.jpg
The Great Wall of Udon (back wall)
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:02 pm

ajarnudon wrote:We've made a good deal of progress in the last couple of weeks with a bit of dry weather. The south and west (back) wall are 90 % complete, and foundations/footing for the north wall have been poured. Formwork in place for the pouring of posts in the north wall tomorrow.
Great wall of Udon.jpg

Hi ajarnudon

Is that your neighbors duck pond in front of the wall :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Might have to get the pH of the pool checked. It's looking a bit murky after all the rain :lol:
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Well the strutural part of the wall build is now complete, with only a few cosmetic issues to be corrected (mortar over some exposed aggregate on some columns), minor rehabilitation of the adjoining farmers land and rubbish removal. The final stage is the drainage (slotted PVC pipe enclosed in aggregate, draining through the walls into the paddy fields). I settled up with the builder on Saturday for the completed work, retaining a final payment until the drainage is complete, rubbish removed from site, and the neighbour satisfied with rehabilitation. I need to personally supervise the drainage, and tentatively this last stage will happen in two weeks time.
A long time getting there, and lots of hiccups, but I am happy with the results achieved to date. A fair way over the original budget, but mostly from choices I made as we went along.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Sunday 2 July 2017
20170702_114307.jpg
Workers at our land enjoying the lunch I bought for them

20170702_115057.jpg
Looking up the soi toards the main road about 150 m away, showing the newly rendered retaining wall - looking good. The garage wall is going up in the background.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:47 pm

20170702_151909.jpg
The virtually completed garage outer wall on top of the retaining wall

The reo in the second column from the right is too short. The concrete will have to be chipped away to expose the reo and short bars welded on. Then the columns will have additional concrete placed to top of the wall height before the 150 mm C section beams are welded to the reo on top.
This 11 metre wall is right on the boundary so there are no windows, but 64 glass blocks providing natural light. A lot of care needed during the rendering to keep the glass clean.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm

For cost and time savings I am going with steel beams (cold formed C section) rather than concrete for the top plates. After finding out that these are available only to max 6m lengths (rafters were longer), I have been forced to modify my plans. I have cut 40 cms from the central hallway, bringing it down from 2.4m to 2.0m, and compensating by extending the length by 0.8m - a slight increase in floor area overall.
Before I finalise the changes, can anyone advise regarding standard lengths of colorbond roofing sheets available here? I am looking for 6m for the main part of the house, and 3.6m or 4.0 for the carport and garage respectively. Do local stockists/agents have similar lengths? Thanks in advance.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

ajarnudon wrote:For cost and time savings I am going with steel beams (cold formed C section) rather than concrete for the top plates. After finding out that these are available only to max 6m lengths (rafters were longer), I have been forced to modify my plans. I have cut 40 cms from the central hallway, bringing it down from 2.4m to 2.0m, and compensating by extending the length by 0.8m - a slight increase in floor area overall.
Before I finalise the changes, can anyone advise regarding standard lengths of colorbond roofing sheets available here? I am looking for 6m for the main part of the house, and 3.6m or 4.0 for the carport and garage respectively. Do local stockists/agents have similar lengths? Thanks in advance.

No but I can tell you where to buy your steel sections.

There is a great place that sells all the steel sections, in the little slip road by the Big C Flyover

pipoz
Attachments
Steel Supply Shop by Big C Flyover Road Udon Thani - Google Maps_Page_1.jpg
Steel Supply Shop by Big C Flyover Road Udon Thani - Google Maps_Page_1
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

sometimewoodworker on UdonMap wrote:
ajarnudon on UdonMap wrote:For cost and time savings I am going with steel beams (cold formed C section) rather than concrete for the top plates. After finding out that these are available only to max 6m lengths (rafters were longer), I have been forced to modify my plans. I have cut 40 cms from the central hallway, bringing it down from 2.4m to 2.0m, and compensating by extending the length by 0.8m - a slight increase in floor area overall.

There are no standard lengths if you buy from Ban Hat where the local profiles are produced. They will produce any length you want. The only difficulty would be transportation for really long sections.

I used 16 x 7 meter lengths in my roof

And as far as the lengths of C section longer lengths are easily welded together, welding is a skill that the Thais do very well at. The trusses in our build are 18 metres and no steel used was over 6 meters
Sometimewoodworker

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Fantastic - great info. Pipoz, STWW, thank you both
ajarnudon

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story