New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, fredlk

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm

This site presents specific problems in that it is built up over paddy fields, even though the original fill was deposited some 15 years ago. The retaining wall footings will be under the water table around half of each year. Nevertheless, it should now be apparent to those following this build that I have over-engineered the retaining wall by 300%. An extra 30,000 baht or so for peace of mind.
ajarnudon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:44 am

ajarnudon wrote:Nevertheless, it should now be apparent to those following this build that I have over-engineered the retaining wall by 300%. An extra 30,000 baht or so for peace of mind.

You will never regret it. When the floods came three years ago I didn't have the walls up and the torrent of water (I was told) hit with a vengence and because of the swirling effect actually managed to get into the house by 6 inches. My renderer and his wife had moved into the house the day before on my orders, but the builder ignored the other orders to move in all the electrical and building materials, especially the render cement and other perishables.
I knew what was coming and told the builder to sandbag the front and back doors, but he claimed he had forgotten.
At least all the electrical tools had been moved to the second floor under my supervision along with some of the fixtures.
As soon as the Bangkok Governor declared Nontharburi part of the Monkey Cheeks programme to protect Bangkok and refused to open flood gates on the klongs, and in fact locked them down and broke the mechanisms so they couldn't be opened I knew we would be in for it.
I should have stayed another 2 hours and made sure everything was moved, but as it was I was cutoff going home the way I had come and had to drive through two foot of water with my wife's Issan Toyota truck. :D Lucky the old beast was a 3 litre diesel built in Japan and nothing could stop it, but I only just made it.
You could see the surge of water coming across the paddy fields and destroying the levies on the way and I knew then the house would cop it. If the walls had been up and the sandbags in place it would not have gotten into the house.
Many a trip by boat with supplies and rations was on the cards and of course the only compensation went to the lady mayoress whose house was not affected but she still got 80,000 baht. Everyone in my street applied for the 4,000 baht to buy clean-up materials, but we have yet to see the money.
Very wise move putting in the walls first, unfortunately I couldn't because I had to use the back hoe to dig my septic tanks in and it couldn't have been done with the walls up.
With the way things are at the moment it is a very wise move. Congratulations. I hope it doesn't happen, but I have seen the map of the Monkey Cheeks programme to protect Bangkok and as they haven't cleaned out the klongs, haven't fixed the broken gates, and have instead just put in small pumps it is a very wise move on your part. The next thing will be a small boat (non metal) and small battery powered electric motor. Mine is already stored.
Roger Ramjet

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Just arrived back from a trip to Oz. Things I managed to squeeze into the luggage on the way back -
Items from Oz.jpg

Grocery items: a large jar of Vegemite, four lge tins of Keen's Curry Powder, eight lge cans of Rexona anti-perspirant, and a couple of packs of Caramello Koalas (a special order for a work colleague).
Buildings bits: 6 x 40 mm PVC combo S and P traps, a couple of magnetic-joining insect screens, and 50 metres of foam wall/external slab edge insulation. The foam is as light as a feather, but it sure was a squeeze getting it into the suitcase.
ajarnudon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Just for your information you can get vegemite in just about any supermarket now: Big C, Tops and others. There's nothing like vegemite on toast for breakfast. They used to call it the breakfast of champions. And I've seen Keen's Mustard powder on the shelves as well. Kills the rotten taste of chilli in a flash.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 pm

double post removed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 am

ajarnudon wrote:Just arrived back from a trip to Oz. Things I managed to squeeze into the luggage on the way back -
The attachment Items from Oz.jpg is no longer available

Grocery items: a large jar of Vegemite, four lge tins of Keen's Curry Powder, eight lge cans of Rexona anti-perspirant, and a couple of packs of Caramello Koalas (a special order for a work colleague).
Buildings bits: 6 x 40 mm PVC combo S and P traps, a couple of magnetic-joining insect screens, and 50 metres of foam wall/external slab edge insulation. The foam is as light as a feather, but it sure was a squeeze getting it into the suitcase.

A Cadbury fan, glad to see a man with "taste"

You missed my two favorites which I use to bring back, that is when I did visit Australia and when I could eat chocolate

pipoz
Attachments
Cadbury Cherry Ripe.jpg
Cadbury Cherry Ripe
Cadbury Jaffas.jpg
Cadbury Jaffas
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:37 am

ajarnudon wrote:Buildings bits: 6 x 40 mm PVC combo S and P traps, a couple of magnetic-joining insect screens,

AFIK those are not difficult to find here.

We have magnetic-joining insect screens on many of our windows, and both doors.
E8164082.jpg

E8164081.jpg

Are yours better?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 pm

I am sure that mine (door model, $10 at Bunnings) is not as good as yours. Doesn't look anything like yours. My son has had one on his back door for a few years and it works brilliantly. They are a walk thru screen, and after you exit, the magnets on each side of the centre opening snap together closing the gap.
Magnetic door screen.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Just for your information you can get vegemite in just about any supermarket now: Big C, Tops and others. There's nothing like vegemite on toast for breakfast. They used to call it the breakfast of champions. And I've seen Keen's Mustard powder on the shelves as well. Kills the rotten taste of chilli in a flash.

Hi RR. Yes, I get Vegemite regularly at Big C. But it and the Rexona were both on special at Woolies at about half what I pay in Thailand. It wasn't Keen's mustard that I was after, but curry powder. I haven't been able to find it here.
Cheers, John.
ajarnudon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Dear John,
I used to shop at Villa on Chaeng Wattana Road just down from the Government Offices and they had Aussie meat pies (real ones) and also Aussie tenderloin beef as well as Angus beef burgers (really excellent) as well as a selection of Cadbury's chocolates and other Aussie and New Zealand products, but despite me being a regular shopper it was always hit and miss whether they had them (all of them) or not. They would promise faithfully they would get them in then just forget about it. They also had a range of Aussie meat balls that were delicious, but even though I spent over 10,000 baht a fortnight, they just seemed to want to cater for Thais.
I was a member and sent requests to head office and ordered the produce through them, but even though they promised free delivery, they would arrive without the pies, meat balls and Angus beef burgers and just make excuses. In the end I gave up on them. Even their Aussie beef tenderloin became Thai pork tenderloin and they just seemed to give up.
At one stage they even had real Aussie beef breakfast sausages, but that lasted a week and was then "we'll reorder".
I'm currently talking with Big C Extra who seem interested in getting all of them in as they know the maker of the pies (Koh Samui) and also the distributor of the rest but I'm not holding my breath.
Good luck with the curry powder. I could shop in Australia for half the price here, even though they claim to have a free trade agreement.
Roger Ramjet

Postby unclezillion » Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 am

ill pop in and give you all a supplier for some falang foods made here http://www.buntersfoodsbkk.com/products.html will get stuff to your local bus station if you are up north
the best pies I have had in Thailand are from http://www.ladypie.com/order.php sometimes you can get them frozen in villa market.
My auzzie friends in Pattaya sweat by http://www.kpkfoods.com/index.html

all of these places can do delivery, however, its up to you to see if their method suits you :)
unclezillion

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 09, 2017 5:46 pm

unclezillion wrote:the best pies I have had in Thailand are from http://www.ladypie.com/order.php sometimes you can get them frozen in villa market.

They're the ones unclezillion, but try and get them at Villa Chaeng Wattana and it's like pisxing into the wind, or farting at the dinner table. I can't understand why either, they are made in Thailand and are frozen and shipped by Ladypie all over Thailand and even Malaysia. Villa Head Office made promise after promise, but reneged on half of them. And driving on Chaeng Wattana for an hour just to find they have forgotten them (even though frozen) is beyond me. Instead of doing their stupid dance routine every morning and clapping at themselves all they had to do was order the damned things by phone. TIT, nothing surprises me here anymore. Freezer full of steak and kidney pies from England that nobody bought and everyone wanted Aussie pies. Bah, Humbug.
Roger Ramjet

Postby unclezillion » Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 pm

the always had them at the villa market near me. ill check next time and let you know. they are always frozen
unclezillion

Postby ajarnudon » Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am

Seems about time we got this thread back on topic. Thought that with the simple instructions I left, they would be able to proceed with three courses of blockwork on the wall while I was in Oz. But no - here is the pic that the builder sent me to show the progress. Where are the vertical starter bars? Where are the weep holes in the bottom course? No mortar between blocks, just the keyway plugged. Blocks stacked, not offset - WTF?? STOP. Don't do any more - wait till I get back.
20170420032521.jpg

There are always work arounds, so this is how we addressed these issues. We inserted the starter bars as we core filled the blocks (which I had wanted course by course). We cut holes in blocks in the bottom course to accommodate 80mm drain pipes thru the wall, supplemented by a slotted longitudinal pipe draining out into the paddy field.
20170504_145716.jpg

As the blocks are reinforced both vertically and horizontally, and core filled with concrete, the stacked blocks will be OK. In contrast, this is what I asked for (and got in the back wall, after I returned).
Back wall.jpg

And finally, a couple of pics of pouring the 40 x 40 cm garage columns.
20170509_170231.jpg

20170509_161535-1.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun May 14, 2017 2:51 pm

The 40 x 40 cm columns of the south wall wrapped in plastic film
20170513_161909.jpg
ajarnudon

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story