New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, fredlk

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm

This site presents specific problems in that it is built up over paddy fields, even though the original fill was deposited some 15 years ago. The retaining wall footings will be under the water table around half of each year. Nevertheless, it should now be apparent to those following this build that I have over-engineered the retaining wall by 300%. An extra 30,000 baht or so for peace of mind.
ajarnudon

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:44 am

ajarnudon wrote:Nevertheless, it should now be apparent to those following this build that I have over-engineered the retaining wall by 300%. An extra 30,000 baht or so for peace of mind.

You will never regret it. When the floods came three years ago I didn't have the walls up and the torrent of water (I was told) hit with a vengence and because of the swirling effect actually managed to get into the house by 6 inches. My renderer and his wife had moved into the house the day before on my orders, but the builder ignored the other orders to move in all the electrical and building materials, especially the render cement and other perishables.
I knew what was coming and told the builder to sandbag the front and back doors, but he claimed he had forgotten.
At least all the electrical tools had been moved to the second floor under my supervision along with some of the fixtures.
As soon as the Bangkok Governor declared Nontharburi part of the Monkey Cheeks programme to protect Bangkok and refused to open flood gates on the klongs, and in fact locked them down and broke the mechanisms so they couldn't be opened I knew we would be in for it.
I should have stayed another 2 hours and made sure everything was moved, but as it was I was cutoff going home the way I had come and had to drive through two foot of water with my wife's Issan Toyota truck. :D Lucky the old beast was a 3 litre diesel built in Japan and nothing could stop it, but I only just made it.
You could see the surge of water coming across the paddy fields and destroying the levies on the way and I knew then the house would cop it. If the walls had been up and the sandbags in place it would not have gotten into the house.
Many a trip by boat with supplies and rations was on the cards and of course the only compensation went to the lady mayoress whose house was not affected but she still got 80,000 baht. Everyone in my street applied for the 4,000 baht to buy clean-up materials, but we have yet to see the money.
Very wise move putting in the walls first, unfortunately I couldn't because I had to use the back hoe to dig my septic tanks in and it couldn't have been done with the walls up.
With the way things are at the moment it is a very wise move. Congratulations. I hope it doesn't happen, but I have seen the map of the Monkey Cheeks programme to protect Bangkok and as they haven't cleaned out the klongs, haven't fixed the broken gates, and have instead just put in small pumps it is a very wise move on your part. The next thing will be a small boat (non metal) and small battery powered electric motor. Mine is already stored.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to Your Building Story